Another day another neighbors yard.

Bell-Two

Aug 28, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac & Ace 250
Hi today another neighbor invited me to detect their yard and again I did not expect much since the house was built in mid 60's. I found some clad including a stacked nickle and quarter in one hole a rubber ball that was so hard I thought it was a large marble at first and an interesting piece with the name "Fighting Yank" on it, this set me off on some research. I found out this about "Fighting Yank".

The initial comic-book character called Fighting Yank first appeared in Nedor Comics' Startling Comics #10 (Sept. 1941), during the period fans and historians call the Golden Age of comic books. He was created by writer Richard E. Hughes and artist Jon L. Blummer. Later artwork was produced by Jack Binder's studio, and by Elmer Wexler.
Fighting Yank was created during World War II as a patriotic hero similar to The Shield and Captain America. He was one of Nedor Comics more successful characters, eventually replacing Captain Future in Startling Comics. In September 1942, Fighting Yank received his own title. Fighting Yank also appeared in America's Best Comics until that series was canceled in 1949.
After the comic book success "Fighting Yank" became an action figure.
Mego Toy Company brought out an action figure named Fighting Yank in the late 1960s. The toy line was dropped in 1960's after Mego was sued by Hasbro, who claimed the Mego figure was a copy of their G.I. Joe action figure. The tag was part of "Fighting Yank's" dog tags which the chain can be seen in the boxed example. Here is a complete one. It's amazing where a little bit of metal that you dig up can lead you. Oh while I was detecting this yard the neighbor next to them invited me to do theirs!

Attachments

• IMG_1484b.JPG
    IMG_1484b.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 382
  • 250px-StartlingComics10FightingYank.jpg
    250px-StartlingComics10FightingYank.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 474
  • figting_yankb.JPG
    figting_yankb.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 381
  • MEGO.gif
    MEGO.gif
    54.5 KB · Views: 391
  • dog tag.jpg
    dog tag.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 455
Upvote 0
Dec 27, 2005
Bay Area Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's M6, SPECTRA V3I.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very cool and nice research, wow at this rate you'll never run out of new places to detect...great job and thanks for sharing hh.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread