Something more modern for me

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a nice long hike this morning, hoping to find a new site, but after miles of walking and swingin at the same time all I could muster was a stray old gilt type button buried on the dirt road. None of the possible sites proved to be one.

However I was parked next to an old overgrown, now forested in pines 18th and 19th century field. Don't know if a homestead was located somewhere in the field (many acres in size) but will check it out next week.

So, as I was walking thru the now Pine forested old field, I was not too happy to see that the locals over the years used it as a scattered dumping ground for small trash items, not solid, but almost every reading I got was something more from the early 1900s to 1940s than the age of the working farm at some time.

I finally got a very distinct coin reading, very deep, which raised my hopes of an old coin. Down about 8 inches in the very sandy soil, a coated silver dime appeared. One side was visible and it was a 1886 Seated Dime. I covered up the hole and made the customary swing over it before I moved on and there was another identical type reading in the hole, dug it out again, just expanding it a tad and another crusty coated dime appeared. Wow, two dimes in one hole, for me that is unusual, by that, I mean I rarely get two old coins in one hole but this month it happened earlier with the 1775 KGIII and 1802 Large Cent.

I covered up the hole a second time and gosh, as I swung the coil again over the filled in hole another weak signal appeared, not quite as good as the dime hits, but I was hoping it would be my third dime, but it was a crusty, coated copper, that I was sure was an Indianhead.

Upon cleaning the finds, the button from the road is early 1800s, and the coins were a 1886 and 1876 Seated Dime and a 1873 Indian head penny.

So a satisfying hunt again, and a good walk to boot.

Don

Attachments

• Site244.jpg
    Site244.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 1,006
  • Site244southview.jpg
    Site244southview.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 1,020
  • 1886dime.jpg
    1886dime.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 1,009
  • 1876 and 1886 SeatedDimes.jpg
    1876 and 1886 SeatedDimes.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 997
  • as found.jpg
    as found.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 1,011
  • cleaned.jpg
    cleaned.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 992
  • cleanedreverse.jpg
    cleanedreverse.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 1,002
  • 1873ih.jpg
    1873ih.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 991
Upvote 0

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Sniffy said:
uhhh...any seated coin is on my wish list. I would have been a gleeful nutcase with a pocket full of change like that. However, colonials is where my passion is.

Mine, too! :icon_thumright: A few years ago, two Seated dimes in one hunt would have left me smiling for months. They now just get thrown into my collection without any hope of getting looked at for years. I guess the Colonial bug has really hit me. :laughing9:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KylePA said:
Sniffy said:
uhhh...any seated coin is on my wish list. I would have been a gleeful nutcase with a pocket full of change like that. However, colonials is where my passion is.

Mine, too! :icon_thumright: A few years ago, two Seated dimes in one hunt would have left me smiling for months. They now just get thrown into my collection without any hope of getting looked at for years. I guess the Colonial bug has really hit me. :laughing9:
I was completely obsessed with the "bug" from the very minute I dug my CT copper.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
What is the world coming to? Don is posting Civil War era stuff!
(just kidding! any old silver is nice!)

Congrats!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd call em Colonial failure good bonus coins! :thumbsup: Next time!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Don, what's up with finding those "modern" coins....I mean you might as well be hunting tot-lots. ;D

Just kidding.

Those are great finds man!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread