Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Nov 2008
    11 times

1939 Walking Liberty half dollar..

I'll post a pic after I get it cleaned. Dug it up this morning at a depth of 4' at an old dumpsite in Borosalvy Canyon just outside of Trona,Ca. The coin looks to be in perfect condition but it's got lots of rust attached to it. I believ I may have found a cache. Someone long time ago accidentally tossed out a can full of coins while cleaning house. The can ended up in the dump,rusted and coated the coins with iron. I found the half dollar then quit digging. Will go back tomorrow and see what else is down there. I was'nt looking for coins. I was digging up antique marbles. I'll take the coin to a jeweler today to see if ultrasonic cleaning will get the rust off.

us
    Dec 2005
    Bay Area Ca.
    White's M6, SPECTRA V3I.
    16 times
    Metal Detecting

Re: 1939 Walking Liberty half dollar..

cool, love those walking liberties, hope you find lots more tomorrow.hh
    Happy Hunting Everyone, may your swings be filled with beeps, and your scoops full of the treasures you seek!

us
    Nov 2008
    11 times

Life is frustrating...

I forgot today's Sunday. I drive 70 miles thru the desert from Death Valley,thru Poison Canyon to the nearest civilization,Ridgecrest. All the jewelry stores are closed. Did my usual once-monthly shopping spree at Walmart. Now I'm loaded for bear. I have decided to make one of these http://www.mycoincollecting.com/coll...ctrolysis.html
    to clean the rust off my Walking Liberty. I will return to the excavation Monday morning and this time fill large buckets with the soil,etc I dig up then sift everything thru a 1/4" mesh screen-box I made. I know what's still down there are the bottom of that 4' hole and I want it bad.

us
    Ace250man

Jul 2004
    Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let me detect!
    ace 250
    182 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: 1939 Walking Liberty half dollar..

sounds like your onto a great site !
    ALLEN

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links