Need help with possible GREAT find

wildcatman71

Apr 2, 2007
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300, Vintage Tesoro Sidewinder
My nephew found this while walking through a creek hunting for arrowheads. This was found in an area where arrowheads and flints have been found in the past...but I am not so sure this is Indian. I am thinking older yet. PLEASE help if you know anything about this. It seems to most likely be a smoking pipe. It is carved out of some sort of stone....and has a neat face carved into it, almost looks like an Aztec face. Any ideas??? Thanks!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,190
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,185
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 1,176
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,185
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,177
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,184
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was first thinking mold, but it could be a pipe to. :icon_thumleft:

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
I have some as well but I did not see the seam marks curious the george spoke of?
TnMountains

Look at the view of the pipe looking straight down on the hole in the bowl. Along the stem portion you will see a line. Seeing that. you can see that line in other views of the pipe.

The seam line in this case is very wide. The reason is that the mold was very worn from making pipes. The more the wear the wider the seam. They made pipes so fast and so many of them they didn't bother to clean the seam line off the pipe. These things would sell for a dollar a hundred.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious The George said:
You have a fairly common clay pipe made by a pipe maker or pipe factory to sell to anyone who wanted a clay pipe to smoke. I have attached photos of a similar pipe. Main difference is that the turban on your guy has been knocked off.

These pipes were made by the thousands from the late 1700's until the early 1900's. They were shipped by the barrel full from pipe factories to sellers. One of the more famous pipe factories was the Pamplin Pipe Factory in Virginia.

Each maker had their own molds so there is some variation in the design, but the theme is the same. The little guy was a Turk or Egyptian. A lot of times the figure is called an Indian but that is erroneous. Tobacco was long associated with the middle east. Just recall the Camel cigarette with the palm trees and pyramids on them.

You can clearly see the pipe mold marks on the stem area of your pipe. While it is possible an Indian smoked it, it is just as possible a poor dirt farmer did as well.

The material is stoneware clay. And it was glazed, you can still see the remnants of the glaze on your pipe.

[/quote Spot on.The "TURK"! :icon_thumleft:

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Curious,

I would think you could be right on the pipe. The flaired mouth piece and material id point that way, but I can't see the seam. From the one side angle I see what could be a seam, but from the top angle it doesn't look like a seam. Can you put arrows on the picture to show me? I want to learn.
We have a trade pipe factory near my home(Point Pleasant), and I have seen thousands of examples from that site. This one does not have that look, but it is not 100% prehistoric in its look either.
Help me out,
Jon Dickinson.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread