Need help with possible GREAT find

wildcatman71

Apr 2, 2007
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300, Vintage Tesoro Sidewinder
My nephew found this while walking through a creek hunting for arrowheads. This was found in an area where arrowheads and flints have been found in the past...but I am not so sure this is Indian. I am thinking older yet. PLEASE help if you know anything about this. It seems to most likely be a smoking pipe. It is carved out of some sort of stone....and has a neat face carved into it, almost looks like an Aztec face. Any ideas??? Thanks!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,189
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,184
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 1,175
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,184
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,176
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,183
Upvote 0

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First glance I thought pipe, then not so sure....what could it be.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

A very interesting piece :o which I can only make a guess with a pipe of some sort :dontknow: looks as though there are signs of burning on the piece :dontknow: nice find :thumbsup:

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clearly a pipe bowl, but the date is a mystery to me. Seems likely native but its not my bag :icon_thumright:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:read2:

This one has a face on similar to yours :P native American :read2:

SS

Attachments

• IMG_0424_thumb155_crop.jpg
    IMG_0424_thumb155_crop.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 1,130
OP
OP
wildcatman71

wildcatman71

Apr 2, 2007
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300, Vintage Tesoro Sidewinder
This may be helpful....this was found in southern Indiana in Pike County. Thanks for the replies so far....I have sent pics to a couple of Native American websites.

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
I am an avid collector/dealer of prehistoric American artifacts. I am not 100% positive, but fairly sure you have a late prehistoric pipe dating to 1200-1600 AD. It is clearly a pipe. The only thing that is throwing me off is the material. I can't identify it. It is not prehistoric pottery, and doesn't appear to be sandstone which would be common materials for late prehistoric pipes. It kinda reminds me of the clay used on early historic pieces, but I am hoping to be wrong on this. The piece is much more valuable as a prehistoric object. The style says late prehistoric(except for the flaired mouthpiece), but I have seen Iroquois and other related tribes with historic pipes that roughly fit the style. The face on the front says prehistoric all the way. It shows hand drilling, and excellent patination. Without holding it, I am only half on a limb saying it is prehistoric. I don't want to advertise my website on this post, but send me a personal message and I will forward you a link. I live in Cincinnati, and I am well versed with Southern Indiana artifacts.
Picture is of a late prehistoric sandstone effigy(I think turtle) pipe that approximates yours in some ways.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

Attachments

• effigyface.jpg
    effigyface.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,037

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a fairly common clay pipe made by a pipe maker or pipe factory to sell to anyone who wanted a clay pipe to smoke. I have attached photos of a similar pipe. Main difference is that the turban on your guy has been knocked off.

These pipes were made by the thousands from the late 1700's until the early 1900's. They were shipped by the barrel full from pipe factories to sellers. One of the more famous pipe factories was the Pamplin Pipe Factory in Virginia.

Each maker had their own molds so there is some variation in the design, but the theme is the same. The little guy was a Turk or Egyptian. A lot of times the figure is called an Indian but that is erroneous. Tobacco was long associated with the middle east. Just recall the Camel cigarette with the palm trees and pyramids on them.

You can clearly see the pipe mold marks on the stem area of your pipe. While it is possible an Indian smoked it, it is just as possible a poor dirt farmer did as well.

The material is stoneware clay. And it was glazed, you can still see the remnants of the glaze on your pipe.

Attachments

• 298.jpg
    298.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 919
  • 298b.jpg
    298b.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 935

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be real old...........like in the 1000 years old! lets hope!!!

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is one in my collection made by one of the Moravian potters in Salem, NC. It was likely made in the late 1700's up to around 1850 or so.

This one has a little fancier stem decoration and the turban is a little taller. But, as I said this figure was a common theme amongst the pipe factories of the day. You'll see variations of the design but the same guy with a turban from many different molds.

Attachments

• 4c_1_b.jpg
    4c_1_b.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 878
  • 7b_1.jpg
    7b_1.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 881

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought trade pipe maybe. I have some as well but I did not see the seam marks curious the george spoke of? I see the face is worn and its plausable to be a mass produced pipe.
It is still a very great find and old compared to many coins in the USA.
HH
TnMountains

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
It kind of reminds me of a pipe I owned as a teen growing up in the '70s. ::)

I would smell it to see if you can catch any hint of cannabis sativa.

hurricane dale

Nov 1, 2009
miami,florida
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO, minelab excaliber II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i searched the net and it's coming out at as ''bill clinton's pot pipe from college'' the one he said he didnt inhale from..lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread