1858 seated half found in Civil War camp!

DirtyMike

Feb 10, 2009
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• DIV 12 024.jpg
    DIV 12 024.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,547
  • DIV 12 024.jpg
    DIV 12 024.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,528
  • DIV 12 024.jpg
    DIV 12 024.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,540
Upvote 0

Elliott Ness

Dec 1, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
E-Trac / Garett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be very happy. Looks like your at a good spot. Keep it up and I can't wait to see what else you get. :icon_thumright:

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Go deep dig it all ,,,, great finds.

OP
OP
DirtyMike

DirtyMike

Feb 10, 2009
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone!

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Very nice!

What is the hook shaped item between the coin and the trigger assembly to the left? I found one at a picket post and have never found out what it is.

OP
OP
DirtyMike

DirtyMike

Feb 10, 2009
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SwampHunter said:
Very nice!

What is the hook shaped item between the coin and the trigger assembly to the left? I found one at a picket post and have never found out what it is.
Knapsack hook

OP
OP
DirtyMike

DirtyMike

Feb 10, 2009
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Great finds Mike.
Congrats on that fine looking silver coin. I know most folks don't like a holed coin due to the value lost, but to me they really mean more than one that isn't holed. It must of meant a great deal to someone in those days.

Can I ask what it says on the oval tag in the upper left of one of your pictures?
I found a similar one from the 1930's that said something like, "Property of........, If found please return to........Reward offered."

Thanks,
MM
Its a Masonic id tag. It says please return to H. Robinson, Atlanthus, Va.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ModernMiner said:
Great finds Mike.
Congrats on that fine looking silver coin. I know most folks don't like a holed coin due to the value lost, but to me they really mean more than one that isn't holed. It must of meant a great deal to someone in those days.

Can I ask what it says on the oval tag in the upper left of one of your pictures?
I found a similar one from the 1930's that said something like, "Property of........, If found please return to........Reward offered."

Thanks,
MM

Interesting info, Doug. That is a beauty of a seated though, even with a hole in it :hello2:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great bunch of save's Mike......Which field were you hunting in,or were you all over like me?Great CW silver :thumbsup:

OP
OP
DirtyMike

DirtyMike

Feb 10, 2009
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
civilman1 said:
Great bunch of save's Mike......Which field were you hunting in,or were you all over like me?Great CW silver :thumbsup:
Lets put it this way. I feel like I walked every square inch of that property. But alot of my finds came from the same side of the road as HQ, strait back to the cedar trees, and below "button hill". How was your luck?

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet that coin was given to a son by his mother and father. With instructions, "Now Son, you keep this and when the fighting is over you use it to get yourself back home."

So they put it on a string around his neck so he wouldn't loose it. That plan didn't work.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DirtyMike said:
civilman1 said:
Lets put it this way. I feel like I walked every square inch of that property. But alot of my finds came from the same side of the road as HQ, strait back to the cedar trees, and below "button hill". How was your luck?
Probably hiked 10 mile's the first day for sure.My best was a scarce backmarked GS Eagle (EVANS & HASSALL * PHILA.)......The usual lead and brass and a piece of a canteen spout.You in Harpers Ferry????

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
DirtyMike said:
ModernMiner said:
Great finds Mike.

Thanks,
MM
Its a Masonic id tag. It says please return to H. Robinson, Atlanthus, Va.

There is an area near Brandy Station VA called Atlanthus. I checked and couldnt' find anyplace called Atlanthus in Va so it could be the place near Brandy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread