johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went out in the marsh for an hour today hoping for some random drops. Because the sea level is so high, it's a given that copper will usually be shot here, but it's fun to find out went went on in the marshes anyway.

A silver half reale (Charles 3rd) turned out okay, but I haven't cleaned it enough to make out a date. The lock I know nothing about, except it's the second one I've found buried out ion the middle of nowhere, and I'm guessing late 1800's. . The button is interesting though, an artillery dating from 1808 through the war years. There was an engagement on the bay a half mile east during the war where a boat was put out of commision. That might have had something to do with our troops being in the bogs. So far I've dug two sword hilts, and a cannon ball in the general area which suggests this also. As you can see, the peat bog was cruel to the copper but it was kind to the threads on the back and preserved them like new. One of these days I'm hoping to dig an old colonial shoe or boot out of the peat (if there's a buckle or some boot tacks to lead me to it) :D

Attachments

• variety today.jpg
    variety today.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 683
  • artillery.jpg
    artillery.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 681
  • buttonback.jpg
    buttonback.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 652
  • cleaned.jpg
    cleaned.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 553
Upvote 0

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you are on the trail to some more fantastic old finds, nice lock, half reale too :way to go johnnyi :thumbsup:

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Would like to see those when you clean them up some. Sounds like an interesting place to detect.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like tough hunting. But the rewards are good.

DCMatt

OP
OP
johnnyi

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the kind comments. The marshes are kind of a last resort on the days I have to stay close to home, but as everyone knows, when you've got to detect you've got to detect :D. Stuff's very few and far between there, but there's no better place for a pocket spill or a weapon being lost so I keep hoping. One of these days I'm going to plod through with the twin box and shovel when I get up the gumption (or get senile enough :D)

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice lock.......but what I like is that Revolutionary war Artillery Button......There may be more where that came from......Congrats.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOOK OUT,not another marsh RAT! :laughing9: Don't underestimate what's in that marsh I know BUDDY! It's the hardest and smellest place to look but you never know in the right place.ALways good for a old bottle here. :notworthy: :notworthy:
TK, :hello:

OP
OP
johnnyi

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks guys. Ironman, the lock is an "eagle six levers" if that's any help. I've haven't been able to find this example yet.

By the way, it sounds like you know what it's like to hunt the marshes! Man, another frustrating day of it today. I beat my way through for another two hours with nothing but shotgun shells. I saw an overgrown depression about eight feet square so I hit it's perimeter hard with nothing until getting a hit on this harness shield. The only other signal was deep iron/non-ferrous about six feet from the pit which I had to dig with a trowel. After two feet down I plodded the half mile back home to get a shovel and probe. Ha! I visualized something good being buried, the guy coming back to find it, and him being off target and giving up! By the time I got back to dig I was worrying about lawyer fees and how to carry it home. :D

Sure enough, out there in the middle of nowhere, a good quarter mile from any house or structure, I dig about three and a half feet to hit a metal plate. Clearing the dirt away I dig to my horror, a piece of pressure treated wood. Then a stainless rod which I'm still at this point trying to rationalize against all common sense is silver. Then the Coup de grâce, the ultimate slap in the face, I dig out the dirt an encrusted rotting tattered stuffed head of "Kermit the frog" A stuffed muppet! I dug the stuffed head of kermit the frog today! Bless 'em, the detector gods had absolute party! I filled in the hole and left.

Attachments

• shield.jpg
    shield.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 324

pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never thought of the marches ........any snakes ????????...looks like you got a good spot close to home. i was in the woods driving today and found couple good spots . a old bottle dump from the 30s .....try to get there this week end . and also got a old dump from the late 1920s . to hit soon . great finds

OP
OP
johnnyi

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No snakes near bayville except garters, blacksnakes and a few other harmless ones. There are rattlers in N.J., but thankfully not near us. Good luck at the dump site!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Seeker said:
Very nice lock.......but what I like is that Revolutionary war Artillery Button......There may be more where that came from......Congrats.
:icon_thumright:

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure enough, out there in the middle of nowhere, a good quarter mile from any house or structure, I dig about three and a half feet to hit a metal plate. Clearing the dirt away I dig to my horror, a piece of pressure treated wood.

Man, that is rough. Nothing worse than finding new objects buried deeper than the old objects. That happens to me also.

Jersey has a lot of history, you never know what you're going to find when you're not digging up the muppets. :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say that was good success, just unlucky on condition. I'd be very happy taking my chances on a Spanish silver and early military button. It's better than most days we have.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread