Tennessee Trip

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:hello: I just got back from a little trip I took to TN. To visit the folks and decided to venture out to find some future spots. I didn't find a heck of a lot but, I got to see some great Civil war encampments and walk where the troops did. The spot visited is very hard to get permission to detect due to past irresponsible detectorists and local folks who just don't respect the land. I met up with a friend who owns some property near a Union Civil war camp. Both Union and Confederate soldiers camped very close to each other here and I was told of a story by my friend, that the Confederates had a plan to attack the Union soldiers down the hill from the fort which is now destroyed, with traces of trenches still visible where I stood listening to the story. Not many folks get this chance to see this particular spot due to looting and holes from detectorists left undug. It's not even marked with any signs. My friend continued with the story telling me about how the Confederates quietly sneaked through the dark cool woods to employ the sneak attack. Standing from the hill where the fort stood my friend pointed to where the Union camp was saying "you could see the Union sildier fires at night from the fort". Continuing the story he told me that the troops were very close to start the attack when suddenly a confederate soldier "tripped and fell causing his firearm to discharge alerting the resting Union troops of the Confederates sloppy plan. The Confederate troops were then "chased " all the way back up the hill by Union soldiers. Below are the some photos taken of this spot and others taken in Knoxville where a brand new battle site was just discovered. I spoke with the construction crew that had found it saying it was pretty deep and full of trash. A detectorist may never had found it. http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/sep/05/civil-war-battle-site-found-ut-sorority/ HHHH

Attachments

• 090409trench-site-mapjpg_t300.jpg
    090409trench-site-mapjpg_t300.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 769
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 760
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 763
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG