Hunted my Wifes Grandparents place in Purcellville, VA

*Dig-Dug*

Aug 13, 2008
Herndon, VA - Kill Devil Hills, NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Bandito II
To make a long story short, My wife's grandparents passed a few year ago and her mom and uncles recently placed the house up for sale. I have always wanted to hunt the place and had planned to many times but other priorities came up. It took an accepted offer on the place to get me in gear. All in all It was a good hunt though I was a bit surprised at the lack of targets on the old property. The house dates back to about 1910 but it is in the middle of Purcellville,VA so had so much potential. Anyway I picked up a couple pocket knives (one being a BSA), Part of a pocket watch, an old sports medal, a real nice mini Roy Rogers Cap Pistol, a spoon, A 1964 Silver Rosie, several pieces of modern change, and what I thought was a large flat button heavily encrusted and deformed. Turns out it is a Seated Quarter with the last number of the date being a 4. No arrows and no rays that I can see. I've been picking away at the crud but I don't know if I'll ever get it presentable. I also managed to dig a Gibson's Brown Bottle intact. Not super old but it's been a long time since I scored a bottle of any kind.
IMG_1422_rs.jpg
IMG_1425_rs.jpg
IMG_1426_rs.jpg
IMG_1427_rs.jpg
IMG_1429_rs.jpg

Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you hada good hunt.......Matt

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, I wonder if that seated quater may be a counterfeit. I've never seen silver corrode like that, it should clean up some. great hunt though for sure, lots of cool relics! :thumbsup: good luck if you go back.

OP
OP
*Dig-Dug*

*Dig-Dug*

Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Bandito II
postalgriff said:
wow, I wonder if that seated quater may be a counterfeit. I've never seen silver corrode like that, it should clean up some. great hunt though for sure, lots of cool relics! :thumbsup: good luck if you go back.
Ya Know I was wondering the same thing - looking at the edge it does not appear to be solid silver with the chipping and pitting. Here are some pics of it on edge. Note the fracture lines in the coin. Not something your likely to see in the real thing. Anybody else have thoughts on this?
IMG_1430_rs.jpg
IMG_1431_rs.jpg
IMG_1432_rs.jpg

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I was thinking counterfeit when I saw the first pic. From the pics further down it looks like it's made of pewter.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure its a Quarter, I detected what I thought was a crusty quarter last year. When I started scraping the crust off, it turned out to be a 1809 Half Cent.

Dec 27, 2005
Bay Area Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's M6, SPECTRA V3I.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice finds, it will be interesting to see how the "quarter" cleans up....hopefully enough to get a positive ID... thanks for sharing and hh
keep us posted....:)

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DFX DAVE in M.D. said:
Are you sure its a Quarter, I detected what I thought was a crusty quarter last year. When I started scraping the crust off, it turned out to be a 1809 Half Cent.
no you can definatley see where it looks to be a seated quarter but cant possibly be all sliver, maybe plated though if it is a counterfeit because it has some silver looking spots on it. I'm no expert so I am curious to what others have to say. very neat find either way, and I love that tiny little gun, I dug on like it a few weeks back. HH, Griff

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent Counterfeit Seated! :hello2: Aluminum Jelly may help with removing that crud from the face of the coin.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Purcellville is a great location. Plenty of civilwar action. The north and south pushed each other up and down those mountains during the whole war. Some of my best finds were in that area.

OP
OP
*Dig-Dug*

*Dig-Dug*

Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Bandito II
BuckleBoy said:
Excellent Counterfeit Seated! :hello2: Aluminum Jelly may help with removing that crud from the face of the coin.

Best Wishes,

Buckles
Any thoughts on where I might find this Aluminum Jelly? Been to Walmart, and Lowes but people look at me like I have horns when I ask for it. They have never heard of it. Is it known by any other names?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBX Slumlord said:
BuckleBoy said:

Best Wishes,

Buckles
Any thoughts on where I might find this Aluminum Jelly? Been to Walmart, and Lowes but people look at me like I have horns when I ask for it. They have never heard of it. Is it known by any other names?

A local hardware store, as well as Ace Hardware should have it. It is made by Duro.

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(irwmu555l0v2gl23ho1zq145)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=12042

I use it to clean anything that is gilded--gilded brass, gilded pewter...It works equally well on gold gilding as silver gilding. Check my "How to Clean Buttons" post in the "Cleaning and Preservation" forum.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Any Id on the bottle?

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most excellent - I had one of those cap guns when I was a kid!

Cool stuff

HH

pokerdad911

Mar 25, 2008
O.C CA.
Detector(s) used
Whites Idx Pro - DFX
Hey, Nice gun. I found one almost like it. Check it out.

Pokerdad

Attachments

• MVC-912S.JPG
    MVC-912S.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 196
  • MVC-912S.JPG
    MVC-912S.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 198

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread