"Mineralized"/Rusted Civil War belt/box plate from Battlefield? AND..an intro

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
"Mineralized"/Rusted Civil War belt/box plate from Battlefield? AND..an intro

'Howdy'! I have been a salivating lurker for a while now..one of the silent variety who likes to gawk at things you guys find that I haven't a clue how to even START looking for. Heck....I don't even own one of them there "detectin' boxes" and at the present moment wouldn't know how to use it if I did..HOWEVER, that will change soon as I have just recently moved to a nice place on the banks of the Chattahoochee River where Sherman's army crossed and patrolled in July of '64. The bad news is on this bank it's mostly apartment complexes and restaurants..and interstates..and directly across the river on the other bank, where Schofield's army camped and skirmished, is all multi-million dollar homes and neighborhoods....the good news: a man can still dream of finding something right :D ?

Okay now to my "find(s)"

Okay I lied...a tad bit more back story...

I am currently in the research and early writing stages of a book about a specific point of a local battlefield that was very brutal, bloody, violent and yet captivating, that lay smack dab between here where I live and another of my favorite similar fields listed as my username

I go to this location 3-5 times a week after work to clear my mind and walk the grounds, take pictures for my research, examine maps and illustrations and first hand accounts I've accumulated along the way while walking the battlefield..I am also working on a computer generated 2D and "3D" map of this location as to how it looked in 1864, so I walk as much of the battlefield daily as I can....
On this particular occasion I was in the creek that played a major role in this battle trying to determine where it originally flowed in relation to troop movement, retreat etc, and to where the Civilian Conservation Corps did some erosion work and re-routed part of it in the first half of the 20th century. Whle examining some of the stone work in the "erosion" area I looked down at the 'sand bar' I was standing on where the water had recently receeded after the flooding and saw something that didn't look like a normal flat river rock.

I was convinced that there would be no way that a famous location like this might still contain items on the "surface" in plain view. I am also not sure if this isn't just a rusty rock? or Pottery? or part of an old mill that was in the location post-war?

Can metal rust so much that it looks like this? Also as you can see in one of the pictures the top left cracked a bit..upon inspecting the "innerds" it looks like rock or clay or not? However, it seems to be 'rusting' more and more hour by hour which leads me to hope it's metal.and it 'clinks'...oh and notice the raised and almost "rusted" off "lettering" that resembles part of a 'C'.
I have included different angles of it etc.

Also found something else that resembles a nice arrowhead in another part of the creek. It is not flat but angles/slopes up and down equally on both sides of the point.... could it be?

If the first item can be identified as a 'relic' it will be handled accordingly with the people I am working with on this book project including some top local historians, etc....

I apologize for being long winded..but this is a GREAT forum! If anyone can point me to a great place to find a MD in the Atlanta area and/or if anyone wants to research and rescue any local spots I will be honored....

And again, please keep saving these quickly fading links to a past that, as time rolls swiftly by, is dissapearing as quickly as the history from whence they came....

Attachments

• isyouabuckle1.jpg
    isyouabuckle1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 677
  • isyouabuckle2.jpg
    isyouabuckle2.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 679
  • isyouabuckle3.jpg
    isyouabuckle3.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 691
  • isyouabuckle4.jpg
    isyouabuckle4.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 682
  • isyouaarruhhead1.jpg
    isyouaarruhhead1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 642
  • isyouaarruhhead2.jpg
    isyouaarruhhead2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 667
Upvote 0

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "Mineralized"/Rusted Civil War belt/box plate from Battlefield? AND..an intro

Great post, I like the longer ones anyway.

That is a curious object. I didn't see you post it, but does it stick to a magnet? It looks like it could be a concretion, yet it has the shape of a piece of actual iron. It's always hard to tell, also, if something like that was carried downstream from elsewhere. Context is tricky there, potentially.

I should probably have taken a more thorough look at the photos before posting, but it sounds like you have a really neat project going on there, and just wanted to give this a :icon_thumright:

HH,
R.I.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "Mineralized"/Rusted Civil War belt/box plate from Battlefield? AND..an intro

real nice point :icon_thumleft: gotta love finding them ;D MR TUFF

OP
OP
CheathamHill

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009

Mr Tuff said:
real nice point :icon_thumleft: gotta love finding them ;D MR TUFF

so I guess it IS, in fact, a point?

Again, I'm new to all of this so please forgive my novice ways...

Also as far as the mystery object from the CW battlefield, I will get a magnet tommorrow to see if it "sticks"

Can something rust/mineralize so much that it is no longer magnetic or will iron/metal always retain its metallic properties..

Considering this may have been in a creek/creek bed for 145 years, I'm just curious if it would ever cease to remain metal....

Again, I'm ignorant on the subject..but learning more here every day...so thanks for everyone's help

OP
OP
CheathamHill

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009

ha and APPARENTLY the word ig-norant is auto deleted in this forum....who knew :icon_scratch:

But that's what the deleted word was

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland

Could it be and iron Confederate plate?
I hope so.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Your eyes seem to work almost as well as a "detectin' box" . Thats how most of us started. Find more and keep searching. You "done good "dude :thumbsup:

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CheathamHill said:
Can something rust/mineralize so much that it is no longer magnetic or will iron/metal always retain its metallic properties..

It can rust away and become essentially non-metal, yes. It can become just a concretion of rust where a solid object once was. There should still be little tiny bits of iron in there somewhere, you'd think.

Looking at the on-edge view of the item, it does sort of look like a rust concretion. Unusual.

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other

Strange :icon_scratch:

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome and good luck at the site.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you run a magnet on or around a rusty object you will find small particles of rust sticking to it. Also there is what is called the "halo effect". When an iron object is in the ground long enough, rust leaches out into the soil around the object and it will be picked up by a metal detector. so I can't imagine a solid object rusting so bad it won't be attracted to a magnet as long as it retains a solid shape. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread