my very first find, and first time to the board

metalmanX

Nov 8, 2009
racine, wi
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tracker 1-D/505
found this chunk of what i thought is just iron. father told me to take this to UWP to have them take a look at it. he thinks it is meteorite. this thing weighs about 5-6 lbs and its only 4 1/2 inches long. im going to call them tomorrow morning to see if they can look at it to let me know for sure what it is. i found this about 6 inches of dirt close to the river. i don't know but we'll see what happens. fyi...... great site.

Attachments

• PICT3063.JPG
    PICT3063.JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 692
Upvote 0

Weddle546

Oct 27, 2009
White Mountains, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ancient coinmaster
welcome to the site :icon_pirat: I really hope it turns out to be a meteorite! I have seen pictures of slabs cut from certain meteorites that have gem stones in them. Can be very valuable!

OP
OP
metalmanX

metalmanX

Nov 8, 2009
racine, wi
Detector(s) used
will do. i will post back as soon as i find out one way or another. :thumbsup:

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Meteor? perhaps.

OP
OP
metalmanX

metalmanX

Nov 8, 2009
racine, wi
Detector(s) used
tymcmurray said:
Good luck. Welcome!!!
Have you tried a magnet on it?

i put a magnet to it. it stuck. i have an appointment to take it to the university of wisconsin parkside @ 3:30. they are going to take a visual of it and decide if there is enough evidence to continue investigating. the next step from there will be to slice a piece of it off, polish it and do a nickel test. none the less i have to see if it makes it pass the first part.

thank you for all the warm welcomes. thank you.

OP
OP
metalmanX

metalmanX

Nov 8, 2009
racine, wi
Detector(s) used
well, i took it to UW Parkside and talked with Dr. LI. we discussed the whatever it is that i found, location, depth of my find. he says that it is extremely rare that meteorites fall in wisconsin. its not impossible, just very rare. based on the initial evaluation he can not tell either way if it is or isn't. he sent me in two directions. one he told me to get a hold of a professor of anthropology and dicuss the area on which it is found. IMHO, i think the dr is being sceptical of this. second he told me to cut off a piece and polish it. that is the only way to tell for sure after it is polished. going to try and get ahold of a granite shop here in town that makes and polishes counter tops and what not. see what and if they can do anything for me. that is my update. ill keep you all posted.

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the most addicting website on the internet!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread