1916 MERC

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
Sunday , 2 friends and I met up at a predominately Confederate CW site and hunted for about 4-5 hrs. I found a Gardner bullet ( appears to be 54 cal.) and one of my friends found a round ball and 2 percussion caps. We decided to call it a day. On the way home , I asked Robert if he wanted to try a spot where an old plantation house once stood where we had hunted last weekend but got rained out. He said "sure". So we pulled into the lot and began hunting the field. 5 minutes into the hunt , my second reading was a solid , sweet dual tone on the old Nautilus. It sounded like a coin for sure. I carefully scooped up a shovelfull of soil and there it was ....A mercury dime!...I looked at the date and saw 1916...OMG I'm thinking....please be a "D"....please be a "D". I yelled at Robert and walked over to him to get him to confirm the date. Sure enough a 1916. There was a little dirt over the area where the mintmark would be so I went to the truck and sucked up some of the melted ice from my drink into the straw and gave the dime a crude powerwashing. Alas, the mintmark is revealed.....NO MINTMARK...So , back out to the field I go....10 mins later , another silver dime. This one is an 1892 barber dime. Now I'm thinking dime trifecta. Another hour or so of hunting and a lot of can slaw and whatsits. I'm heading back to the truck and I find a brass buckle , then 5 mins later another coin signal. It turns out to be an IH penny (date thus far undetermined). OK , by this time , I'm tired and think i should go home and soak my aching muscles in alcohol from the inside..lol.

Thanx for looking and HH y'all.

Attachments

• DSC00039.JPG
    DSC00039.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 455
  • DSC00041.JPG
    DSC00041.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 448
Upvote 0

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a good year, all mercs are good.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread