Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a few hours this afternoon, went back to the early 1800s tavern/hotel site that I have been working with BedfordBob, DeArmittPA, my brother-in-law and my son. But today it was just me, and I thought I was going to get skunked. After an hour and a half there was nothing really decent in my pouch. If you have been following along the last few months, this is the same site in which 9 coppers dating between 1771 and 1807 have been found (plus one 1800 2 Real!), including DeArmitt's banner 1793 Flowing Hair Largie. To date, I personally found two of those coppers, both half cents. So I really was hoping for a Largie (or a pocket spill! :) ) before I even arrived.

Well I think I've probably found the best coin that I will find at this site. A 1794 (or 95?) Flowing Hair Half Dime! :hello2: :hello2: :headbang: :o :o :o

1794 half dime_.jpg 1794 half dime back_.jpg

When I first pulled it out of the ground, it was so small and thin that I thought it was a button. It had that tombac button look to it. But then the eagle appeared, and I noticed no shank, and soon enough the outline of the head appeared. And I found a date!!! That shocked me considering how worn this coin is after all of the years.

I'll also add a picture of a few buttons and other odds and end pieces that were found. Anyone know what the silve/chrome plated thing is? It has a patent date of August 12, 1890, maybe it was hinged on the narrow edge?

Thanks for looking!

Man, I'm still spooled up about this one!

10_11_09 finds.jpg

EDIT: Added a few newer pictures of the half dime -hoping these are a bit brighter.... :wink:

1794 half dime f.jpg 1794 half dime back f.jpg

Upvote 2

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
This is why I love hunting the early American sites. Coins like that are just waiting to be found. :headbang: I know it will happen to me, but the question is when and not if.

I hope this makes the banner, because you rarely see these posted on the forums.

Kyle

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Been on treasure net for awhile now and I have never seen one of those posted. Man that is one sweet Banner coin. Nice job. :thumbsup: jgas

OP
OP
Mach1Pilot

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
postalgriff said:
awesome awesome find!! a big congrats to you sir, amazing, banner worthy no doubt. :wav:

Thank you Postalgriff!

cdltpx said:
I want to say BANNER that is a rare coin and it's value is probably the cost of an ace 250. Ask me if you find something that could pay for your detector I say that is a banner find. I would be on cloud nine if I would ever find something like this. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

I'm hopeful it is worth as much as my Etrac... ;D Thanks!

Nate in Ohio said:
Congrats on a sweet coin. Definitely looks like a 95. Very sweet! Hope to see it on the banner. :icon_sunny:

Thanks Nate. :)

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Outstanding, amazing, dumbfounding, shocking, thrilling !! :o :o :o :o :o

Keep @ It and HH!! ;D :D

That was how I felt when I realized what was in my hand. ;D

jeff of pa said:
Awsome Coin !

I Hope you can get some of that Black Off.

Thanks Jeff!

Bridge End Farm said:
wow thats a real sweet find :icon_thumleft: congrats on the discovery :headbang:

I vote banner too on a 200 plus year coin dig :)

Thanks Bridge End Farm. :)

johnnyi said:
jeff of pa said:
Awsome Coin !

I Hope you can get some of that Black Off.

Man, don't touch it. When you start trying to clean a coin as very worn (yet beautiful) as that one, you'll gain very little except losing patina which adds character to the worn off areas. Again, great find!.

I'm trying to get better picts, but don't worry I'm not going to scratch it any more than it already is scratched.... :) Thanks!

baspinall said:
Sweet find! Don't see many of those popping out of the ground.

Brian

Thanks Brian :)

OP
OP
Mach1Pilot

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A half dime!!!!!!

johnnyi said:
That is a fantastic find! Well done! One of the key U.S. coins on everyone's "wish list" !!! :icon_thumleft: :headbang: :notworthy:
p.s. terribly hard to find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Johnny - while I can't say it was on my wish list that was because I never thought that I would ever find one! :)

OP
OP
Mach1Pilot

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A half dime!!!!!!

CMDiamonddawg said:
Awesome find !!! Mach1 :o :o: " 1795 " only 86,416 minted too bad the 15 Stars are'nt no more, still a jaw dropper .. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks CMDiamonddawg. :)

Any idea how many were '94s vs '95s? I could not find anything online except a count with them together. ???

Thanks Brian(upstate NY) :)

Thanks sscindercoop. :)

Thanks Swingit :)

Thanks Goldencoin :)

Thanks Evan/tn :)

OP
OP
Mach1Pilot

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bedfordbob said:
:o A Big Congrats on this one :o A Banner Find for sure;D Gotta Love that E-Trac

Yep - LOVE that Etrac! I guess you and DeArmitt can keep getting the largies and I will take these. ;D

Thanks makton :)

Thanks MaineRelic :)

OP
OP
Mach1Pilot

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tymcmurray said:
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Outstanding, amazing, dumbfounding, shocking, thrilling !! :o :o :o :o :o

Keep @ It and HH!! ;D :D

This says it all except...........BANNER!!!!

Thanks tymcmurray :)

silverfreak said:
Never seen one before....AWESOME :headbang:

Wow that is surprising that the King of silver coin finds hasn't seen one of these.

Thanks silverfreak! :)

Rusted_Iron said:
Mach 1, that is awesome!! You really don't see those, just about ever. Nice!!

I would say that's banner worthy!

Thanks Rusted Iron :)

Texasgopher said:
Dude very very cool! Congrats, I'd be bragging for a looooooooooong time.

TG

Texasgopher - since I have your permission I'll do just that.

No, not really, but it is a thought. ;D

Skrimpy said:
Im gonna vote banner on this one too. PCGS has it as at least $950 identifiable...which is about what that one is.
http://www.pcgs.com/prices/PriceGuideDetail.aspx?MS=1&PR=1&c=684&title=Flowing+Hair+Half+Dime

That works for me! This is the first decently valued coin that I have dug.

Thanks! :)

KylePA said:
This is why I love hunting the early American sites. Coins like that are just waiting to be found. :headbang: I know it will happen to me, but the question is when and not if.

I hope this makes the banner, because you rarely see these posted on the forums.

Kyle

I hope you are next! :icon_thumright:

Well, to be honest, I'm hoping my son finds something cool like this soon too. ;D

Thanks Kyle. :)

jgas said:
Been on treasure net for awhile now and I have never seen one of those posted. Man that is one sweet Banner coin. Nice job. :thumbsup: jgas

Thanks jgas. :)

skatergod6262 said:
beautiful half dime

Thanks skatergod6262 :)

FortBedfordbob

Dec 25, 2007
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000
Mach 1 Pilot said:
Bedfordbob said:
:o A Big Congrats on this one :o A Banner Find for sure;D Gotta Love that E-Trac

Yep - LOVE that Etrac! I guess you and DeArmitt can keep getting the largies and I will take these. ;D

Thanks makton :)

Thanks MaineRelic :)

My Next One is Going to Be a Capped Bust Quarter Eagle ;D

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has got to be one of the best coin finds on TNET for all of 2009. What a historical treasure!

FatCat

Aug 28, 2009
HUNTSVILLE Alabama
Detector(s) used
ACE250 w. 10x14'' DD and Lots of research
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome coin. I don't think there were any settlers in my area for another 20 to 30 years. Congrats on a banner find.

OP
OP
Mach1Pilot

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bedfordbob said:
My Next One is Going to Be a Capped Bust Quarter Eagle ;D

APPROVED!!!!!!! ;D

(but you are going need to let the coin magnet DeArmitt at home for a day)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread