Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a few hours this afternoon, went back to the early 1800s tavern/hotel site that I have been working with BedfordBob, DeArmittPA, my brother-in-law and my son. But today it was just me, and I thought I was going to get skunked. After an hour and a half there was nothing really decent in my pouch. If you have been following along the last few months, this is the same site in which 9 coppers dating between 1771 and 1807 have been found (plus one 1800 2 Real!), including DeArmitt's banner 1793 Flowing Hair Largie. To date, I personally found two of those coppers, both half cents. So I really was hoping for a Largie (or a pocket spill! :) ) before I even arrived.

Well I think I've probably found the best coin that I will find at this site. A 1794 (or 95?) Flowing Hair Half Dime! :hello2: :hello2: :headbang: :o :o :o

1794 half dime_.jpg 1794 half dime back_.jpg

When I first pulled it out of the ground, it was so small and thin that I thought it was a button. It had that tombac button look to it. But then the eagle appeared, and I noticed no shank, and soon enough the outline of the head appeared. And I found a date!!! That shocked me considering how worn this coin is after all of the years.

I'll also add a picture of a few buttons and other odds and end pieces that were found. Anyone know what the silve/chrome plated thing is? It has a patent date of August 12, 1890, maybe it was hinged on the narrow edge?

Thanks for looking!

Man, I'm still spooled up about this one!

10_11_09 finds.jpg

EDIT: Added a few newer pictures of the half dime -hoping these are a bit brighter.... :wink:

1794 half dime f.jpg 1794 half dime back f.jpg

Upvote 2

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: A half dime!!!!!!

That is a fantastic find! Well done! One of the key U.S. coins on everyone's "wish list" !!! :icon_thumleft: :headbang: :notworthy:
p.s. terribly hard to find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A half dime!!!!!!

Awesome find !!! Mach1 :o :o: " 1795 " only 86,416 minted too bad the 15 Stars are worn off, still a jaw dropper .. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Evan/tn

Jul 7, 2009
Detector(s) used
spectra V3,MXT
dude that is one sweet find
big congrats!!!!

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1700's silver is on every M- DERS Wish list !! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :thumbsup: Top notch find !! My sincere congradlations!!

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome awesome find!! a big congrats to you sir, amazing, banner worthy no doubt. :wav:

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
I want to say BANNER that is a rare coin and it's value is probably the cost of an ace 250. Ask me if you find something that could pay for your detector I say that is a banner find. I would be on cloud nine if I would ever find something like this. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a sweet coin. Definitely looks like a 95. Very sweet! Hope to see it on the banner. :icon_sunny:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome Coin !

I Hope you can get some of that Black Off.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
jeff of pa said:
Awsome Coin !

I Hope you can get some of that Black Off.

Man, don't touch it. When you start trying to clean a coin as very worn (yet beautiful) as that one, you'll gain very little except losing patina which adds character to the worn off areas. Again, great find!.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find! Don't see many of those popping out of the ground.

Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread