May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're not going to believe this!! Day 4 at the Big Field, 2 more LARGE CENTS

hi all,

I had some time after work to get into that big field, but not a whole lot of time before dark. Anyway, I started hoping I could find another hot spot in the field, but after about 15 minutes of wandering around and digging junk, I figured I'd just go back to the old spot that has been good to me these past 3 days.

Now, that yappy little dog was oddly silent. But I figured he had something up his sleeve. Yep, he brought along a friend, a big German Shepherd I'll call Big Woofer. That dog did all the barking for Yappy. More menacing, you know? Yappy is no dummy. He knows guys from Jersey, probably. Well, anyway, I guess they thought they'd keep me away from that field. That little dog was still pretty ticked off about the UFO and all, I could tell.

First, the junk. The bottle caps and washer were round signals that sounded nice and solid, but they narrowed and got clipped on higher disc setting. I know my one-tone machine quite well by now, and I knew there was something off about these targets (edit: actually I was quite sure they were crown caps, even before digging). But I wanted to get them out of the ground.

finds-nov-10-junk.jpg

Then I started digging up some halfway decent iron. Again, nothing awesome in the way of iron, but I did find a third one of those axe-like wedges (starting to see a pattern here?) and a harpoon-like thingie of unknown function. All of it has some significance in the history at this house site, which is what interests me.

finds-nov-10-iron.jpg

Big Woofer started to get tired of barking at me. I guess Yappy didn't pay him enough or something. So I figured I'd just hang out in his field and dig some more iron. Well what do you know! Guess what I dug next. This was a slightly more mellow tone, not a screamer, but good and loud nonetheless. 1842 large cent at about 5 or 6 inches. Yeah, buddy!

finds-nov-10-1842.jpg

"Hear that, dog?" says I, looking over toward that sullen little noise factory 1/4 mile away. "I'm on your treasure stash. Again."

By now I was thinking of what Kyle said. There could be Spanish silver here. Either way, when you find a couple coins, there might be more. So I started really hitting that area hard as the light started to wane. About 5 feet away, I got a mellow, nice tone. Not loud, but smooth. Fairly narrow. Across one axis it wasn't as good. But it didn't disc out above Tabs. I was 90% sure it was another coin, but what kind?

I dug in the failing light. But I was smart... brought along me headlamp. Since I had permission to be there, and Yappy and his pal didn't, I didn't worry none 'bout what the neighbors thought.

Anyway, guess what it was.

finds-nov-10-1800.jpg

1800 large cent, on edge, at 6 inches. Worn, but still cool. I did not pinpoint it very well, and it was in the side of the hole. When I saw the edge of that green disc, I was ecstatic.

Here's all the non-ferrous, non-junk finds together. ("junk" being anything not of the historical period).

finds-nov-10.jpg

And finally, here ya go... all the largies together from the past four visits to this site.

finds-Nov-7-8-9-10-largecents.jpg

This is the probably best site for old coins I have found. You have to understand, I don't hit a lot of sites. I sort of poke around for a long time at one, digging iron and stuff. I know some people on here have found more LC's at one place, but for me this is a first. Four consecutive hunts, not skunked at any one. :icon_thumright: Elsewhere I mostly dig relics, wheaties, and various whatsits, but I do like the early stuff when I can find it.

And one more thing. Well first, when I started walking back, there was something walking around in the woodline. I heard it in the leaves. I think Yappy might have sent spies to see what I was up to. But he really didn't need to, because he knew what was up. Whatever it was, it stopped when I called to it, then it started walking around again. It was smaller than a person and did not walk like a person. Could have been a cat or something. Or one of that little dog's buddies coming to give me trouble.

But it gets weirder. When I took everything out of the vehicle, there was a strong smell of chopped or pipe tobacco. It seemed to come from the coins and relics (not sure if that was clear when I first posted this) when I took them out with my finds pouch. I do not smoke, but I know the smell of tobacco. It is an old, old smell. Like from an old house in 1820, maybe. The smell was only momentary, and it went away. The field did not have that smell. Very weird.

Thanks for looking.

HH
Rusted

P.S. Iron Patch, we're coming up there. Me and a bunch of guys from PA. You and that Minelab probably missed a bunch of targets :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: You're not going to believe this!! Day 4 at the Big Field, 2 more LARGE CENTS

Nice Largies.

OP
OP
Rusted_Iron

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: You're not going to believe this!! Day 4 at the Big Field, 2 more LARGE CENTS

Bob S said:
Nice Finds WTG

Thanks Bob!

Weddle546 said:
KylePA said:
I'm ready to march whenever you are. :laughing9: He won't like us too much after we:
1. Force him to change that avatar :laughing9:
2. Clean his sites out using our American skills :headbang:
Kyle

That avatar kinda scares me :o

And I think he knows it, the scoundrel. :D

The Buzzard King said:
Nice coppers! All of em'! Congrats! :thumbsup:
Yeah, I be willing to bet there's some silver there!
Keep at it.

Thanks Buzzard King, I think sooner or later one will turn up. Lots of digging ahead...

seger98 said:
Holy cow, what a good lookin' batch of LC. Congratulations!

Thanks seger!

4-H said:
Congratulations. Again! Mike

Thanks Mike!

romeo-1 said:
Nice finds...and thems fightin' words!! Tectin', pizza and double doubles...that's a weekend!

Thanks Romeo! Truly I guess I'm not quite ready to take on your 1690's awesomeness... yet.
Just wait, there will be plenty of trash talkin' in anticipation, haha. Tectin and pizza ain't a bad idea, ever.

Neil in West Jersey said:
Awesome going on the finds...5 in one spot is nice. I think that is also my personal best for LC's at one site (not including colonial coppers).
Congrats!!!

Thanks Neil, yeah I don't know if I'll ever find a site to top this... and I have another post on its way!!
I was hoping the site had at least one pre-1800 copper, but I'm not done there yet, so it still might.

Sniffy said:
Nice Largies.

Thanks Sniffy!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Diamonddawg got in touch with his K9 friends to watch you guys and get the UFO back ,..spooky cigar smoking fleabags are off their leashes watching :evil7:

OP
OP
Rusted_Iron

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CMDiamonddawg said:
Diamonddawg got in touch with his K9 friends to watch you guys and get the UFO back ,..spooky cigar smoking fleabags are off their leashes watching :evil7:

I knew somethin' was going on. You've been in communication with Iron Patch too, I bet.

I need to make some kind of a cardboard box to put that UFO in, quick.

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other

Hey BUD !! Now I think in the Iron Dept, You got your self a Gaffers Hook and theres a good chance that the Arm guide is

some where around the area , and you also got a pole/log splitting wedge that one would use about 3 at a time to split a

log length ways to make beems , ect. your items may date about 1810 - 1830 in MFG, very nice IRON :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Rusted_Iron

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hardy said:
Hey BUD !! Now I think in the Iron Dept, You got your self a Gaffers Hook and theres a good chance that the Arm guide is

some where around the area , and you also got a pole/log splitting wedge that one would use about 3 at a time to split a

log length ways to make beems , ect. your items may date about 1810 - 1830 in MFG, very nice IRON :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Thanks Hardy, I'm glad you like the IRON!! I have to get you a better pic of that gaffer's hook thing, there is something different about it. It bears more than a passing resemblance to an Iron Age relic I saw in another post, but I don't know what that one was used for. Whatever it is, I knew it was something cool.

Check out the iron in my newest (5-day) post.. there is an object there whose function I don't know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread