Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well managed to squeeze a short hunt in before the snow flies...not a lot but I'll take what I can get...

I must be a lead magnet as I always seem to come up with a lot of musketballs where ever I go..

BallCan.jpg

Also manage piece of a ramrod

ramrod.jpg

what's left a silver spoon with makers mark SA on it and a neat design...

silverCan.jpg

candle stick holder...

WhatsIT2Treas.jpg

Group shot with pewter spoon handles, buttons buckles..........Managed 3 pretty toasty coppers, all 3 are 1700's and one is a counterfeit...

Group.jpg

Upvote 0

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Another thing I just noticed is the "dot" between S and A. I found that Stephen Adams I used this mark. Stephen Adams II used the mark without the dot...I think that is pretty conclusive.

Good eye romeo, and it adds force to your argument. I don't think it is conclusive yet though, particularly considering the slant of the "A", the shape of the cartouche, and the following:

Seymour Weyler litterally "wrote the book" on silver marks back in the 30's, and he lists both Stephen Adams and Stephen Adams Jr.. Neither of these does he list with the dot. (evidently their work does exist with a dot sometimes, as you've shown) .He does list many other marks of other makers with dots when they always occur. All this says I guess is that these particular dots were arbitrary with both these makers, and by extension, we have no way of knowing whether or not they were arbitrary with Samuel Avery's mark also. In other words it may also exist with or without a dot if we are to depend on Weyler.

I agree with you and curious george that the handle should be cleaned so we can see if that is a lion within a shield. That would be conclusive that this was not Avery's mark. For anyone wondering why we're spending time on this, it is because early American silversmith's work is usually much more scarce and historic than English work of the same period.

p.s. Just to clarify, Stephen Adams Jr. didn't use a mark within a rectangle. It was a rectangle with diamond (pointed) ends.

OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the close up...

Attachments

• lion2.jpg
    lion2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 292

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ah! Good eye Romeo! (and good i.d.!) You were right, it is English, not early American, and you were spot on about the lion. I guess it doesn't hurt to play devil''s advocate when there's a chance of an early American relic, as we at least learn some stuff. Once again, great i.d. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

WhiteHunter

Dec 28, 2006
Hampshire
Detector(s) used
E-trac,X-Terra 70, Ace 250 with Sniper Coil, Sea Hunter MK2
intresting finds, i like the box you keep your musket balls in :icon_thumright:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Patriot said:
Here's the close up...

I thought I saw part of the hallmark at the broken stem :wink: :icon_thumright:

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good find is one that generates interest, research and conversation...this definately qualifies!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread