Im BACK!!! Day 5, Sixth LARGE CENT!!! + Relics & lots of pics!!

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm BACK!!! Day 5, Sixth LARGE CENT!!! + Relics & lots of pics!!

hi everyone,

I got back to that field today. You knew that was gonna happen.

The little dog was not there. Later I would realize where he went... His pal Big Woofer started barking at me, of course. I made my way back to the spot where I had so far found five large cents and a bunch of relics.

Woofer makes a lot of noise, but he doesn't stay at it long. Quickly the field got silent, except for the beeps from my detector of course. What's weird is, I smelled that smell of tobacco, that 1820 smell. It only lasted for a short time. It happened in the large cent patch. This is getting pretty interesting, I thought. Ghosts! Or the devil, whichever. Or a clever ploy by Yappy, perhaps. Whatever, man, I have largies to dig!

Anyway, I started really pounding that spot where I found the stuff these past few hunts. Started finding some relics. I found a door bolt, a nice jumbo square nail, and a couple other decent iron pieces. Stoked! The electrolysis bath will be in full swing this winter. When I find out for sure if I found a 200 BC relic, I will post cleaned pics. That one piece in yesterday's photo maybe didn't look like much, but I knew it was something special. I likes iron.

finds-nov-11-iron.jpg

I found a few bits of pewter, and then I swung the coil over a tall patch of alfalfa. Coil was a good 5 inches above the ground, and I got that loud signal. Loud like a beer can, but this was different. I had a feeling. It did not disc out, smooth all the way to SCAP. I knew what it was. I was like 99% sure. So I started digging very carefully.

After a while, checking with the pinpointer, carefully removing dirt, I saw that green disc. This time I brought my camera.

finds-nov-11-lc-digging.jpg

Yeah, buddy!! That's what I'm talkin' about.

The back was a lot cleaner than the front. I did not try to rub it in the field, at all. I didn't even try to brush away the dirt. No way. Wrapped that disc up and put 'er away carefully.

finds-nov-11-largecent.jpg

finds-nov-11-lcback.jpg

I poked around a little more and found a really nice flat button. I do not know this maker, anyone? It is not the usual "RICH GILT" type deal. Unusual to have an actual maker's name on a flattie, that much I know from digging a few. So this becomes one of my favorite button finds.

finds-nov-button.jpg

And here are the nonferrous relics together with the LC:

finds-nov-11.jpg

Well as the light was fading, I found a little tiny button. It's in that picture above. Yappy started barking! He was back, and guess what, he brought friends. I figured this out, now. See, he was up at Iron Patch's place for the day, doing a little leotard shopping :laughing7:. He got sick of losing buttons. That little button was his, I'm pretty sure.

So anyway, he had like 2 or 3 other little dogs with him, and they were not happy with my presence. I know, I know, you're probably wondering how he got up to Patch's place and back so quick. Well that UFO I dug yesterday was obsolete technology for him.

It was another awesome day, and the sun was fading fast. I took a photo before I packed up and got out of there.

finds-nov-11-sunset.jpg

Now we're up to 6, count 'em, six largies from one site. I haven't even really started to touch on the narrow, faint, iffy signals. Well, OK, I did dig one or two before dark, but those were nails I'm saving for Iron Patch's consolation prizes when the PA boys trounce him in a bout of 'tectin. Actually, one signal was a flat button without the shank, at like 7 inches, partly on edge, and for a second I thought I finally had an early dime. Oh well, maybe next time.

finds-Nov-7-8-9-10-11-largecents.jpg

Thanks for looking, y'all.

Chris

Upvote 0
U

umrgolf

Re: Unbelievable!!! Day 5, Sixth LARGE CENT!!! + Relics & lots of pics!!

:hello2: :headbang: you are a machine, don't be surprised to get that Spanish silver right there in that field

OP
OP
Rusted_Iron

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Unbelievable!!! Day 5, Sixth LARGE CENT!!! + Relics & lots of pics!!

umrgolf2000 said:
:hello2: :headbang: you are a machine, don't be surprised to get that Spanish silver right there in that field

Thanks umrgolf! I can feel it, that area has got to have more. I'm thinking Seated or Bust dime, or possibly Spanish silver like you said. From here on in, the very solid signals are getting less common, so it's time to dig those questionable ones.

Maybe I'll unmask something after pulling out all that iron.

teddy

Nov 7, 2009
Re: I'm BACK!!! Day 5, Sixth LARGE CENT!!! + Relics & lots of pics!!

You're one of the big time winners here.
Congrats.
teddy

Weddle546

Oct 27, 2009
White Mountains, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ancient coinmaster

Wow. you have one heck of a site there. I would go through that area with a fine tooth comb. And i am sure if you let iron patch tag along to your site he will let you have one of his spare leotards to wear. Maybe a neon green or bright yellow. :laughing9:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mercy ,look what you found!!! dawg 's are watching :evil7:

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome man, love reading your posts from this site. Hope you can still hit a few more or even some old silver!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

This is becomming a routine :laughing7: You've got a nice spot full of treasure. WTG on another LC hiding under that root. I'm sure you will find more.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats!
Great looking button. Looks like early 1800's "Earl & Boucher". Great find. Not a common back mark. :icon_thumleft:

-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-051S.JPG
    MVC-051S.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 579

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other

your doing great bud :icon_thumleft: I can hear that yappy dog all the way up here :laughing7:

OP
OP
Rusted_Iron

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

teddy said:
You're one of the big time winners here.
Congrats.
teddy

Thanks Teddy!

Weddle546 said:
Wow. you have one heck of a site there. I would go through that area with a fine tooth comb. And i am sure if you let iron patch tag along to your site he will let you have one of his spare leotards to wear. Maybe a neon green or bright yellow. :laughing9:

Thanks Weddle! I am definitely going to pound that site at every chance before the freeze sets in.
He won't have time to extol the virtues of his creepy wardrobe, 'cuz he'll be digging too many nails :laughing7:

CMDiamonddawg said:
Mercy ,look what you found!!! dawg 's are watching :evil7:

I knows it. I ain't keepin' my back turned on them dogs for too long.

Nate in Ohio said:
Awesome man, love reading your posts from this site. Hope you can still hit a few more or even some old silver!

Thanks for your kind words, Nate!

crazyjarhead said:
This is becomming a routine :laughing7: You've got a nice spot full of treasure. WTG on another LC hiding under that root. I'm sure you will find more.

Thanks Ron. When Mrs. Rusted saw me cropping the photo, she was like "did you put that coin in the dirt?" :laughing7: I was going to take a pic when the dirt was still hard packed and there was only a tiny edge sticking out, but I wanted to show the green. I also was careful not to break any alfalfa roots, so there won't be any dead spots in the spring.

ModernMiner said:
Congrats!
Great looking button. Looks like early 1800's "Earl & Boucher". Great find. Not a common back mark. :icon_thumleft:

-MM-

Thanks MM! Yeah I think that is what it says, do you know anything more about that manufacturer? Seems like the things from this site are dating somewhere about 1820 thru the 1860's. Although 2 of the LC's were 1800 and 1803, but they were so worn that it's probable they were in circulation for quite a while when dropped.

OP
OP
Rusted_Iron

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ModernMiner said:
Congrats!

-MM-

Whoops, I posted from the reply page where I couldn't see the pic. Thanks for the info. So 1816-1822, that's pretty sweet. Thanks for posting that, MM

Hardy said:
your doing great bud :icon_thumleft: I can hear that yappy dog all the way up here :laughing7:

Thanks Hardy! Thanks also for the info on those iron relics from yesterday's post. I need to get you better photos of that pointy thing, it looks quite similar to an Iron Age relic I saw in another post. When you look at it from another angle, the iron is wide. I can go pull it from the bath so you can see, if you'll be on Tnet for a while.

-Chris

BandB1

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2008
SE Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sweet finds Rusted, those dogs sound malevolent, you need a benevolent goose to watch over
you. LC's incredible, Congrats! :thumbsup:

Good luck,
HH.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wow another and another and another!!!!!! way to go rusted iron :o MR TUFF

goldguru

Aug 24, 2005

Wow U got some Ole Dirt there..
take a cple biscuits fer Yappy..maybe train him to dig fer Ya.. :dontknow:

FortBedfordbob

Dec 25, 2007
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000

Nice Bunch of Largies and Other Relics. :icon_thumright: Keep a Diggin

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dang! yOUR cleanin up that place!

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow great daily average on the LC's. Looks like your spot will produce many more before it starts slowing down. The Earl & Boucher button is very nice :icon_thumright:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like another great PA spot for relics - nice largie and button! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread