Found a key date 1877 Indian Head Cent today.....

Digger USA

Jul 9, 2008
Midwest
Detector(s) used
X-Terras, Advantage, Etrac, XLPro and usually a few others
I've been hunting this old 80 acre corn field for the better part of 30 years. For the first dozen years or so, they'd plow the field in the fall, turning up more coins. But since they've gone to minimum till farming, it doesn't get stirred up very much and our finds are few and far between. My brother and I spent the better part of 6 hours walking up and down the rows, stepping over downed corn stalks and trying to work the coils in between the stalks. It wasn't pretty! But it worked out OK. I only found three old coins today. (I actually found a 1919 Buffalo nickel, but since this place was abandoned in 1888, I won't count it as a fairground find) I did find an 1882 Seated dime, an 1888 IH cent. And my best find, an 1877 Indian cent. I've not done anything to it except rinse it in water. And when I looked in the coin books to see what it was worth, I won't likely try anything stronger than water. Anyway, here it is..... my first 1877 IH cent. Thanks for looking. HH Randy

Attachments

• 1877 IH cent found November 11, 2009.JPG
    1877 IH cent found November 11, 2009.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 3,628
  • finds from the field.JPG
    finds from the field.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 3,553
Upvote 0

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You only found 3 old coins and one of them is a key date. I would sell my detector if
i were you. Congratulations.

OP
OP
Digger USA

Digger USA

Jul 9, 2008
Midwest
Detector(s) used
I actually found four coins yesterday. But one of them was a 1919 Buffalo and they don't count. Not at this site, anyway. It ceased being an old fairgrounds about 120 years ago. So I figure if it isn't older than 1890, it wasn't lost at the fair. As for only finding these coins and selling the detector, I don't see than happening. I've been detecting for over 37 years and have been "visiting" this particular site for nearly 30 of them. During that time, I've taken several nice pieces of jewelry, dozens of Seated dimes and quarters, several dozen Shield and V nickels, four 2-cent pieces, a nickel 3-cent piece and hundreds of IH cents. This 1877 just happened to find itself under my coil on this trip. I'll admit, it is getting tougher each year. But I have a feeling that there are still some good old coins hiding out there. And I plan to keep wandering around that 80 acre patch searching for them. HH Randy

vermonster

May 7, 2009
hootersville NY
Detector(s) used
whites prism IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:hello:Nice banner finds ! I've been MDing my corn fields also It's a pain in the back 2 go between the rows of corn stalks but stick with it !

Jim C.

Jun 23, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer (is there another brand)
Neil in West Jersey said:
Awesome find! That is a $500 coin, (maybe a bit less in dug condition)!!!

I compressed your pic for easier viewing.

Congrats on the banner!

No way. Worth way more than that. Has full Liberty and in great shape. I sold the one I found for $500 back about 7 years ago and it was no where near as nice as this one.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats Digger USA on the 1877 Indian Head Cent and making the banner.
Got me one today. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Whoa! Sweet and rare coin - very worthy of the banner spot it got you! Congrats!!!

unclevinn

Sep 6, 2009
maine
Detector(s) used
fisher1212x
what an awesome coin and really great shape. congrats for finding it, that lets us know the rare ones are out there, thanks for sharing. definitely banner material hh

OP
OP
Digger USA

Digger USA

Jul 9, 2008
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Re: Found a key date 1877 Indian Head Cent today..... headed to PGCS

Well, I took the 1877 IH cent to an authorized PGCS and NGC dealer. He recommended PGCS as he believes they are the most trusted name in the industry. He said I can expect it to be certified. But to not be surprised if they doesn't assign a grade, due to the patina. Instead, he said it could come back as "corroded with excellent detail". If that is what happens, I can either send it to NGC, who will assign a grade that is likely down one level due to the patina.

The dealer called me back yesterday and said the 1877 IH has been packaged for shipment. Based on their professional opinion, they insured it for $2300.00. Now that makes me even more anxious to see how the official verdict turns out! HH Randy

Attachments

• DSCF1451 - Copy.JPG
    DSCF1451 - Copy.JPG
    310.3 KB · Views: 1,831

Pull_tab_mike

Nov 20, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Whites CoinMaster
YOU LUCKY DOG.......... YOU FOUND AN 1877 IH,,,,,,,,, I WOULD LOVE TO FIND JUST ONE

BRAVO!!!!!!

HH

PTM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread