Rusteds On FIRE: can it really be a Seventh LARGE CENT?!!!

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rusted's On FIRE: can it really be a Seventh LARGE CENT?!!!

Something just keeps telling me to go back to that field. I did not have a lot of time before dark, so I moved fairly fast. I can't wait until the weekend when I can take a whole day to hit the spot. Or two days. ;D ;D ;D

Maybe some are thinking, come on, already. But this is the real deal. I posts 'em as I finds 'em.

But then, if I had 12 hours solid to hunt, maybe I would have got them all in one swoop. I just don't have time to do that with a work schedule. Short hunts are what I have, so I'm fortunate to get there for an hour or two each time. I am really excited about this site and hope you can share in my excitement. I have never hunted a place that produced LC's like this!

This spot is kind of special. I am still hoping for silver, but I'll gladly (!!!) accept all the big coppers it has to offer. I hope there are more!

It was a quiet day on the field. Big Woofer gave up barking after like 2 minutes, and his little buddy said nothing. I think he knows he's been defeated. I heard a cackling sort of quack from a duck that hangs around nearby. He likes when I dig coppers.

I started moving out another 10 ft or so from the spot I hit in the past couple days. First I dug a nice flat button, then... that signal again. That really nice, loud one. Didn't disc out. You know what I mean. I started digging carefully. I mined under the roots and kept checking with a pinpointer. Finally, after much work, I mined underneath it, and it fell out. There was a disc-shaped plug of soil that fell away.

finds-nov-12-lc-digging.jpg

Yeah, buddy!!!!

finds-nov-12-lc.jpg

By the way, I brought along another brand of detector that had been collecting dust. Fancy, this one was. To its credit, it was able to detect the large cent, but then again, I could have found this one with a Compadre.

That fancy 'tector led me on two wild goose chases that ate up the daylight. First signal it said "dig me! I'm a high fluty tone, very faint!" There was no "pink" sound you usually get with nails. Trust me, I put in a lot of hours on that machine, I know its language. So I said "Okay, yeah, let's dig that". Bad idea. Just to double check, I grabbed the Tesoro. It said "I wouldn't dig that, amigo". So what did I do? I dug... and dug... a deep, deep nail, in the side of the hole. Strike One.

Then the fancy detector found another signal. Like the devil, it whispered "Hear that, friend? That primitive beep-dig unit of yours couldn't touch this. I bet it wouldn't even get a signal."

"You know why that is, you techno-devil?" I said. "That's because my primitive beep-dig unit just disc'ed it out entirely." Which might just tell you something. Heh. Fluty, nothin'.

Well, I dug it anyway. It was another wild goose chase.
Deep nail #2, Strike Two for the fancy detector. Looks like it's back to the Tesoro. :laughing7:

On today's hunt, I dug another nice log wedge, and also a door pintle. I was pretty psyched about that. You don't find pintles on modern houses. They occurred on two kinds of buildings... barns, and log homesteads. And this wasn't a barn. There is no photo anywhere to tell me what stood here, but I can figure it out from the artifacts, hopefully.

finds-nov-12-all.jpg

The log wedge was at least a foot deep, the whole length of my pinpointer. I bet there are some super-deep coins to be had after I clean out all the shallow targets. Strip-mining time ;D

finds-nov-12.jpg

It was a great day, and another spectacular sunset. I likes it.

finds-nov-12-sunset.jpg

Seven large cents from six consecutive hunts!! I can't promise that I'll be able to keep up this streak, but I can promise something else... I will never get sick of large cents!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys and gals, Thanks for reading. I am really thankful to be able to have detecting like this, and to share the joy with all of you.

Chris

P.S. Minelabs are great 'tectors too, I just like to beat on Iron Patch, and my pal Joe. Mainly because the latter had massive beginner's luck and found a Spanish silver with MY Minelab at a site I found, LOL.

finds-Nov-7-8-9-10-11-12-largecents.jpg

Oh, and today's LC is an 1837, best as I can tell. The patina is kind of rough, I'm thinking H2O2.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rusted_Iron

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Rusted's On FIRE: can it really be a Seventh LARGE CENT?!!!

rodgerdodger said:
Your really getting a collection of large cents. I have only found one. We just don't find them around here. Keep hitting that spot and from another direction.
Sometimes I think my sites are empty and I keep going back and I'm always surprised at what I find.
roger

Roger, don't worry, you will find more LC's. Never know when one of those sites is going to have one 8-9" deep and on edge. Any one of those iffy signals could be one... that's what keeps me going, I think, even when 99.95% of them turn out to be nails or whatever. You're right about those "empty" sites, too.

Hardy said:
Well Done BUD :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

allen said:
keep finding those LCs !!!

Thanks for the comments, guys. I did go back to the site, but the solid hits are very, very sparse now, and we're getting into "iffy" signal territory exclusively. I dug numerous such signals, and every single one of them was a nail so far. I have not completely given up, but I think this spot is going on the back burner for now. I am going to start fanning out from that little area more, now.

Thanks for looking, everyone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread