Rusteds On FIRE: can it really be a Seventh LARGE CENT?!!!

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rusted's On FIRE: can it really be a Seventh LARGE CENT?!!!

Something just keeps telling me to go back to that field. I did not have a lot of time before dark, so I moved fairly fast. I can't wait until the weekend when I can take a whole day to hit the spot. Or two days. ;D ;D ;D

Maybe some are thinking, come on, already. But this is the real deal. I posts 'em as I finds 'em.

But then, if I had 12 hours solid to hunt, maybe I would have got them all in one swoop. I just don't have time to do that with a work schedule. Short hunts are what I have, so I'm fortunate to get there for an hour or two each time. I am really excited about this site and hope you can share in my excitement. I have never hunted a place that produced LC's like this!

This spot is kind of special. I am still hoping for silver, but I'll gladly (!!!) accept all the big coppers it has to offer. I hope there are more!

It was a quiet day on the field. Big Woofer gave up barking after like 2 minutes, and his little buddy said nothing. I think he knows he's been defeated. I heard a cackling sort of quack from a duck that hangs around nearby. He likes when I dig coppers.

I started moving out another 10 ft or so from the spot I hit in the past couple days. First I dug a nice flat button, then... that signal again. That really nice, loud one. Didn't disc out. You know what I mean. I started digging carefully. I mined under the roots and kept checking with a pinpointer. Finally, after much work, I mined underneath it, and it fell out. There was a disc-shaped plug of soil that fell away.

finds-nov-12-lc-digging.jpg

Yeah, buddy!!!!

finds-nov-12-lc.jpg

By the way, I brought along another brand of detector that had been collecting dust. Fancy, this one was. To its credit, it was able to detect the large cent, but then again, I could have found this one with a Compadre.

That fancy 'tector led me on two wild goose chases that ate up the daylight. First signal it said "dig me! I'm a high fluty tone, very faint!" There was no "pink" sound you usually get with nails. Trust me, I put in a lot of hours on that machine, I know its language. So I said "Okay, yeah, let's dig that". Bad idea. Just to double check, I grabbed the Tesoro. It said "I wouldn't dig that, amigo". So what did I do? I dug... and dug... a deep, deep nail, in the side of the hole. Strike One.

Then the fancy detector found another signal. Like the devil, it whispered "Hear that, friend? That primitive beep-dig unit of yours couldn't touch this. I bet it wouldn't even get a signal."

"You know why that is, you techno-devil?" I said. "That's because my primitive beep-dig unit just disc'ed it out entirely." Which might just tell you something. Heh. Fluty, nothin'.

Well, I dug it anyway. It was another wild goose chase.
Deep nail #2, Strike Two for the fancy detector. Looks like it's back to the Tesoro. :laughing7:

On today's hunt, I dug another nice log wedge, and also a door pintle. I was pretty psyched about that. You don't find pintles on modern houses. They occurred on two kinds of buildings... barns, and log homesteads. And this wasn't a barn. There is no photo anywhere to tell me what stood here, but I can figure it out from the artifacts, hopefully.

finds-nov-12-all.jpg

The log wedge was at least a foot deep, the whole length of my pinpointer. I bet there are some super-deep coins to be had after I clean out all the shallow targets. Strip-mining time ;D

finds-nov-12.jpg

It was a great day, and another spectacular sunset. I likes it.

finds-nov-12-sunset.jpg

Seven large cents from six consecutive hunts!! I can't promise that I'll be able to keep up this streak, but I can promise something else... I will never get sick of large cents!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys and gals, Thanks for reading. I am really thankful to be able to have detecting like this, and to share the joy with all of you.

Chris

P.S. Minelabs are great 'tectors too, I just like to beat on Iron Patch, and my pal Joe. Mainly because the latter had massive beginner's luck and found a Spanish silver with MY Minelab at a site I found, LOL.

finds-Nov-7-8-9-10-11-12-largecents.jpg

Oh, and today's LC is an 1837, best as I can tell. The patina is kind of rough, I'm thinking H2O2.

Upvote 0

Ziggy-Grimm

Jan 19, 2009
Fairchance, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 + Garrett Pro-Pointer AP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Rusted's On Fire: can it really be a Seventh LARGE CENT?!!!

Nice collection of large cent finds! :hello2:

firefighter35

Aug 19, 2009
Lebanon, pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x Minelab Explorer II Modified Bounty Hunter Garrett Ace 250(10x14 excelerator coil)

WOW, way to go!!! :headbang: I was happy to unearth 1, cant imagine 7 so far. Im speechless. I no the feeling of 1 and i just about passed out, lol. Hey, by the way, what part of pa, lol central pa here Greg Horning :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Rusted_Iron

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ziggy-Grimm said:
Nice collection of large cent finds! :hello2:

thanks Ziggy. You dug 3 coppers at that one awesome site with your F2, yes? Has the copper bug bit you, or what? ;D

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

"Rusted's On Fire: can it really be a Seventh LARGE CENT?!!!"

I had to take my boots off to count my toes, and darn it, it sure looks like seven! Way to go!

OP
OP
Rusted_Iron

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyi said:
"Rusted's On Fire: can it really be a Seventh LARGE CENT?!!!"

I had to take my boots off to count my toes, and darn it, it sure looks like seven! Way to go!

Hahaha, I love it... thanks Johnny!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rusted_Iron said:
Something just keeps telling me to go back to that field.

Don't just go back -RUN back!!!! That place is treating you real well! :headbang:

Congrats! :icon_thumright: I look forward to seeing more of your finds from that site. :)

OP
OP
Rusted_Iron

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mach 1 Pilot said:
Rusted_Iron said:
Something just keeps telling me to go back to that field.

Don't just go back -RUN back!!!! That place is treating you real well! :headbang:

Congrats! :icon_thumright: I look forward to seeing more of your finds from that site. :)

Thanks Mach1! I am halfway considering camping out on that site. If only I could take 2 weeks vacation, I would be all over that site from 30 different angles. Even in the snow.

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Rusted's On FIRE: can it really be a Seventh LARGE CENT?!!!

This is an amazing sequence of events you have displayed.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You're going to get bored of all that copper...go find yourself a silver now!

S

seger98

Congratulations on the LC's. One coin that still avoids me!

Weddle546

Oct 27, 2009
White Mountains, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ancient coinmaster

Looks like you are having way too much fun! Maybe a few of us need to go and have some of that fun for you! :laughing9: Gratz on some very nice coins :icon_thumleft:

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Your 8th copper in 7 days will be here soon! Great job once again, Chris! :thumbsup:

Evan/tn

Jul 7, 2009
Detector(s) used
spectra V3,MXT

nice collection of lc's
way to go!!!

OP
OP
Rusted_Iron

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CMDiamonddawg said:
What!!! :o :o 7 ..woofer and yapper :BangHead:#7 Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :evil7::watching

That's right, your sentinels were slacking. Those mosquitos you sent for the little yapper worked today, though...almost :D

Sniffy said:
This is an amazing sequence of events you have displayed.

It is almost unbelievable, I will admit, but I shared the events as they unfolded. OK, the UFO part was made up. Maybe. :laughing9: This streak was, for me at least, a very rare event.

romeo-1 said:
You're going to get bored of all that copper...go find yourself a silver now!

Thanks Romeo. I'll never get bored of LC's. OK, maybe if there were like 40 of them in one spot, but even then...
Still on the quest for silver.

seger98 said:
Congratulations on the LC's. One coin that still avoids me!

Thanks Seger, keep at it and you will find your first! Took me quite a while to find my first, lemme tell ya :wink:

Weddle546 said:
Looks like you are having way too much fun! Maybe a few of us need to go and have some of that fun for you! :laughing9: Gratz on some very nice coins :icon_thumleft:

Thanks Weddle, heheh yeah I reckon I'll drive by that place one day and half of Tnet will be swingin' coils.

Brian(upstateNY-Central Fla.) said:
Very nice LG Cents Chris :icon_thumright: good luck on the next outing too ;D

Thanks Brian!

Evan/tn said:
nice collection of lc's
way to go!!!

Thanks Evan!

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
They say 7 is lucky but 8 is great. Keep looking. :thumbsup:
Chris
KylePA said:
Your 8th copper in 7 days will be here soon! Great job once again, Chris! :thumbsup:

Thanks Chris and Kyle, coming from the copper kings that means a lot :) :)

Well, guys, it looks like the copper streak finally broke today (upcoming post hopefully tonight) but I have a couple interesting things to share. Though no silver, a couple cool things. And interesting. Keep an eye out for the post.

-Chris

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great post and great pics. That is quite a collection of "largies" :notworthy: :headbang:

OP
OP
Rusted_Iron

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

silverfreak said:
Great post and great pics. That is quite a collection of "largies" :notworthy: :headbang:

Thanks Bryce, glad you enjoyed it! Inspired by your recent post, I was hoping to pull a deep silver out of there today, but no such luck. There's always tomorrow ;D

Chris

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Your really getting a collection of large cents. I have only found one. We just don't find them around here. Keep hitting that spot and from another direction.
Sometimes I think my sites are empty and I keep going back and I'm always surprised at what I find.
roger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread