Woohoo, a plate!!

Hidden_Realm

Oct 18, 2009
Niagara, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Managed to dig this little plate out of the dirt yesterday but at first, has hard to make out what it was. After a bit of cleaning and polish, this is what shined through...

British War of 1812 era drummer back shako plate!!! Was worn on the back of the drummer boys cap so the men behind him could tell who he was. It measures about 1 1/4" x 1 3/4" in size. Little less then a foot away, was a musketball and a bit of pottery. Can't wait to go back when a little more time and search a bit bigger area and see if anything else is hiding there!!

Attachments

• plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 3,545
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hidden_Realm

Hidden_Realm

Oct 18, 2009
Niagara, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab
make it, no worries then, me to new here lol. This was a detecting find and not a point was needed to break the dust off the machine lol

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
"click" I just voted banner. I don't know...it's too rare it might not make it. :angry4: :angry4: :angry4: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5:

Great find
Boy you took the words right out of my mouth no Lie! :laughing9: :notworthy: :headbang:
But I'm going to give it a shot. Banner! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A great piece of military history, for sure. Congrats!!

A pic of another Shako Drummer's Badge is found here:
http://www.militaryheritage.com/m_access.htm

MIS-040 Shako Drummer's Badge Since the introduction of the cloth mitre cap, drummers had worn a metal drum on the rear of their caps. By the Napoleonic Wars, shakos began to be worn by drummers on campaign, leaving their bearskin caps for the parade square. To make them distinct from the rest of the men's shakos, drummers wore a brass drum on the rear. This continued throughout the first half of the 19th century. Click here for an image of a fifer in 1828 wearing the brass drum at the rear of his shako. A great tradition to revive for your fife and drum corps! 15.95US (17.00CAN) each.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon said:

MIS-040 Shako Drummer's Badge Since the introduction of the cloth mitre cap, drummers had worn a metal drum on the rear of their caps. By the Napoleonic Wars, shakos began to be worn by drummers on campaign, leaving their bearskin caps for the parade square. To make them distinct from the rest of the men's shakos, drummers wore a brass drum on the rear. This continued throughout the first half of the 19th century. Click here for an image of a fifer in 1828 wearing the brass drum at the rear of his shako. A great tradition to revive for your fife and drum corps! 15.95US (17.00CAN) each.

Good link, heres the follow on one showing how its worn :icon_thumright:

http://www.militaryheritage.com/images/fifer.jpg

S

seger98

Wow, what a super find. Congratulations on both the find & the banner!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Seems like you had a good start to the year and will close it strong! :headbang: I envy your sites... especially that mine just don't see to want to give up the military this year.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the banner, great find... :hello2: :headbang: I never seen or even heard of one of those, :icon_scratch: very cool. :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ It and HH!! ;D :D

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Mackaydon said:

I assume the price above is for a repro of this plate/badge?

OP
OP
Hidden_Realm

Hidden_Realm

Oct 18, 2009
Niagara, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab
A good start and this, your right IP, just hope still something left out there for the year yet.

That link I seen and is a repo site and prices. I would hope this one a bit more if sold, but ya never know....

Thanks for all the banner votes everyone....woohoo my first banner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Hidden_Realm

Hidden_Realm

Oct 18, 2009
Niagara, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Here's a picture of the back of the plate and a small coin I found there also. It's a 1907 Belgum 1 cent and kinda cool looking.

Attachments

• plate back.jpg
    plate back.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 2,948
  • coin1.jpg
    coin1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 2,906

HomesteadHunter

Nov 14, 2008
Amherstburg, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75.
Iron Patch said:
Nice! Seems like you had a good start to the year and will close it strong! :headbang: I envy your sites... especially that mine just don't see to want to give up the military this year.

Ya, your horrible sites only seem to give up crappy old 1600s silver........who would ever want that. :D

James.
HomesteadHunter.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the Banner. Thought it had a real good chance. Now we all want to see value on this piece. (well.... me anyways) ;D THEE HOGGEMAN

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread