Woohoo, a plate!!

Hidden_Realm

Oct 18, 2009
Niagara, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Managed to dig this little plate out of the dirt yesterday but at first, has hard to make out what it was. After a bit of cleaning and polish, this is what shined through...

British War of 1812 era drummer back shako plate!!! Was worn on the back of the drummer boys cap so the men behind him could tell who he was. It measures about 1 1/4" x 1 3/4" in size. Little less then a foot away, was a musketball and a bit of pottery. Can't wait to go back when a little more time and search a bit bigger area and see if anything else is hiding there!!

Attachments

• plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 3,545
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perfect timing. That is such a nice item. Imagine the child so proud to wear it walking into battle beating out a rythm as they advanced forward. Nice history there!
TnMtns

OP
OP
Hidden_Realm

Hidden_Realm

Oct 18, 2009
Niagara, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab
hogge said:
Congratulations on the Banner. Thought it had a real good chance. Now we all want to see value on this piece. (well.... me anyways) ;D THEE HOGGEMAN

always wonder for these items as to their value, but that all depends on what one is willing to fork out. Is a hard to value alone unless others have sold and can see their value. I wish there was an easy way to tell, but that would be asking to much lol. For now, it gets documented and added to the collection and find a spot to place it.

OP
OP
Hidden_Realm

Hidden_Realm

Oct 18, 2009
Niagara, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab
CRUSADER said:
I dug out my WWI version, as you can tell your 100 year earlier example came out much better :o

Maybe mine came out better, but took a lot of cleaning. Yours looks really cool also and wondering what the back looks like for attachment.

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hidden_Realm said:
CRUSADER said:
I dug out my WWI version, as you can tell your 100 year earlier example came out much better :o

Maybe mine came out better, but took a lot of cleaning. Yours looks really cool also and wondering what the back looks like for attachment.

Like a normal cap badge with the 2 loops which the split pin went through after the loops were pressed through 2 ready made holes (ie the spilt pin went on the inside of the cap). But these went on a cloth beret & those early drummer boy hats look more solid, but I guess could have a similar arrangement.

I can see on the reverse of yours two possible solder marks where the attachments broke off (what they looked like is guess work to me, as I have not seen an early one like yours)

OP
OP
Hidden_Realm

Hidden_Realm

Oct 18, 2009
Niagara, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab
CRUSADER said:
Hidden_Realm said:
CRUSADER said:

Like a normal cap badge with the 2 loops which the split pin went through after the loops were pressed through 2 ready made holes (ie the spilt pin went on the inside of the cap). But these went on a cloth beret & those early drummer boy hats look more solid, but I guess could have a similar arrangement.

I can see on the reverse of yours two possible solder marks where the attachments broke off (what they looked like is guess work to me, as I have not seen an early one like yours)

I have a few smaller ones, ww1/11 with those same style loops & pin. As you seen, this one has like two solder spots on it but long since gone. I have also a cartridge badge in two pieces though, but with solder marks close to this one. Always neat to see the different ways of fastening badges and plates on. The one for my avatar here, just used 4 small holes to hold into place.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hidden_Realm said:
CRUSADER said:
Hidden_Realm said:
CRUSADER said:

I have a few smaller ones, ww1/11 with those same style loops & pin. As you seen, this one has like two solder spots on it but long since gone. I have also a cartridge badge in two pieces though, but with solder marks close to this one. Always neat to see the different ways of fastening badges and plates on. The one for my avatar here, just used 4 small holes to hold into place.

Yeah, sewn on :icon_thumright:

That's an amazing plate! I wish I could find War of 1812 stuff like that. We didn't have any wars over here except maybe over pemmican or furs. ;D
Nice find!
Dave.

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap buddy! Great find!!! Glad it made the banner! Congrats!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great rescue!! Awesome piece of history!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread