soldier having a sneaky one!!!

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer
Hi again from n/z..this is no big deal but would like an id if possible...I was searching below an old redoubt which was used by armed constabulary from 1871 till 1877..I was digging nothing but square head nails when at 9" I heard a clunk with my knife which sounded glassy !! I spotted a green form of a bottle and carefully removed it with the nail that had signalled the g.t.i. I was rapt it was just about all there apart from the top..it is fairly thin green see through glass,,crude in an out of shape form with air bubbles present through it, is 75mm at the base up to 85mm at the top and about 300mm high..maybe I should post on the bottle forum but a lot of you helpful guys peruse this forum.I know its not worth zilch apart from the historical significance to me and would like to know if it was an ale or wine bottle. heh! thanks in advance..des

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 667
Upvote 0

phantomfinder

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2008
Denver , Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's DFX , Ace 150 , Prizm 2
Well what i can see from your pic , It look's like a late 1800's or a early 1900's . i can't see the seem that good in the pic. I hope you have a book or book's on things you find out there, It's make's thing's faster to find out what they are ;D But it's a very good looking bottle , to bad it's not blue . ( more money ) WTG :icon_thumleft:

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Cool bottle. you might already know but the soldiers would break the mouths off of the bottles instead of opening them. In one civil war winter camp we found a spot down by a small creek where there must have been about 100 whiskey and bitters bottles every one had the mouth broken off and we found the mouths, some even had the corks still secured by copper wire.

OP
OP
Des from down under

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer
Well Well,thanks for sharing that about the tops being broken..no one in n/z would know that ..

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Too bad it wasn't full

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread