Found Black Silver today, toothpaste clean test !! Before and after...

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all :hello:

Found this dime today, wow it was black as night. :o I know toothpaste to work good on tarnished silver but I just wanted to confirm it some more. :dontknow: just a fast 5 min cleaning. :headbang: (Normal fluoride toothpaste). :hello2: Won't make your silver re-tarnish and won't make it smell like death. Like silver cleaners do... :notworthy:

Here are some before and after pics of how it went, :o I hope you enjoy, and learn a new trick!! :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH!! :D ;D

Attachments

• SIlver09 001.jpg
    SIlver09 001.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,014
  • SIlver09 004.jpg
    SIlver09 004.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,014
  • SIlver09 003.jpg
    SIlver09 003.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,034
  • SIlver09 005.jpg
    SIlver09 005.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,033
  • SIlver09 002.jpg
    SIlver09 002.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,020
  • SIlver09 006.jpg
    SIlver09 006.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,010
Upvote 0
OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a light rub with your finger or a Q-tip, Don't use the stick of the Q-tip by pressing down to hard the stick will scratch it. :tongue3: Just lightly with the cotton.. I use my finger first if that won't work I use a Q-tip if that fails I try electrolysis and if that won't work I don't do anything else. :headbang:

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Toothpaste is abrasive. Don't use it on valuable coins, in this case, no worries.

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured we all knew don't clean any valuable coins, even a rinse with water can be risky. ::) Value can go down on cleaned coins. :-\ This can be used for your .925 silver jewelry too, not just coins. :hello2:

S

seger98

Cleaned up nice, was that found in the water? Usually don't see silver come out of the ground tarnished like that.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
I figured we all knew don't clean any valuable coins, even a rinse with water can be risky. ::) Value can go down on cleaned coins. :-\ This can be used for your .925 silver jewelry too, not just coins. :hello2:

Not exactly true, cleaning can help dug coins and even increase the value, but you have to use the right method.... and toothpaste is NEVER it.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Iron Patch said:
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:

Not exactly true, cleaning can help dug coins and even increase the value, but you have to use the right method.... and toothpaste is NEVER it.

So true. :wink:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tartar sauce also does wonders on unvaluable silver :icon_thumleft:

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
I rub all my silver jewelry with wet baking soda. It does amazing! Again it's the same abrasive technique. That's interesting about the toothpaste. But baking soda is probably cheeper.

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious The George said:
Hummm...... ::) Used to use baking soda for toothpaste.

LoL, I remember those days.

Iron Patch said:
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:

Don't be a hater, :crybaby2: I don't think NEVER is the answer. I prefer it over most other cleaners for my silver... It works the best and Oh did I say it smells great.... :hello2:

Texasgopher said:
I rub all my silver jewelry with wet baking soda. It does amazing! Again it's the same abrasive technique. That's interesting about the toothpaste. But baking soda is probably cheeper. :o

Thanks for the tip. :notworthy:

kuger said:

Ewww... :tard:

Thanks everyone !! :headbang: :icon_thumright:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Curious The George said:
Hummm...... ::) Used to use baking soda for toothpaste.

LoL, I remember those days.

Iron Patch said:
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:

Don't be a hater, :crybaby2: I don't think NEVER is the answer. I prefer it over most other cleaners for my silver... It works the best and Oh did I say it smells great.... :hello2:

Texasgopher said:
I rub all my silver jewelry with wet baking soda. It does amazing! Again it's the same abrasive technique. That's interesting about the toothpaste. But baking soda is probably cheeper. :o

Thanks for the tip. :notworthy:

kuger said:

Ewww... :tard:

Thanks everyone !! :headbang: :icon_thumright:

A hater wouldn't give you good advice, but I'll gladly stop.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have to agree with IP...there are a few methods to increase the value of some coins...seen it done!!! but toothpaste NOPE!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions