Fatcats Picket Site - My first finds there

Nov 14, 2009
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm 6T
Fatcat's Picket Site - My first finds there

Hi folks. I’ve been reading your site (and a few other sites) since Feb of this year when I purchased my Whites T6, but this is the first time I have found something even remotely of interest, to anyone, to post.

Fatcat has been letting me tag along to the picket site he found and until this past Sunday I had not retrieved anything of note. He (over the last three trips) had found buttons and bullets, but alas I was digging shotgun shells, non-identifiable metal and square nails. While we knew that the nails came from the same CW era as the buttons he found, after the first ten in my pocket, they lost their “excitement”.

Last Sunday I had luck in digging three .69 cal three ringers. Fatcat was then subjected to watching a little old fat man do the “happy dance”. The three ringers have been on my “to find” list since I acquired my new MD machine early this year. Of note: one of the bullets had been a “pulled” bullet. That same bullet also appeared to be of Southern manufacture (the flattened area inside identifies) which adds a curiosity since the site is a Union Picket encampment.

My thanks go to Fatcat for his taking me along on his forays and for not laughing when I did the Happy Dance.

Pictured below are the pieces that I feel are related to the CW site. Part of a horseshoe, square nails, bullets and yet unidentified metal. All were found from 3 to 12 inches deep.

Attachments

• cw-1.jpg
    cw-1.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 381
  • bullet 1.jpg
    bullet 1.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 393
  • bullet 3.jpg
    bullet 3.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 373
Upvote 0

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Re: Fatcat's Picket Site - My first finds there

no offense but the .69 with the plug cavity is a US bullet. There are 3 common cavities for those, the cone, the plug and then there is one that has a cone cavity with a curve in it. the piece of iron by the bullets is part of a bucket. the wider part was attached to the bucket and the handle went through the hole in the narrower part. congrats on your finds.

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon

Pulled=10 plain. Very nice. I don't have one yet.
Newt

FatCat

Aug 28, 2009
HUNTSVILLE Alabama
Detector(s) used
ACE250 w. 10x14'' DD and Lots of research
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You're one heck of a dancer. Cant wait to get out again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread