Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone,

I'll get to Hill Billy and my hunt, but first I have to post a few finds I've been working on cleaning for a while. They are from my hunt with coinmaster2db a little while ago. There were a lot of interesting finds made, but my favorites are the silver plated pewter bridle rosette in the center of the photo, the pewter dog's head ( :icon_scratch:), the nice dandy button, and the small buckle marked "Solide" in excellent condition. I also found a piece of china that has the little figures of a man, woman, and child in the design. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Anyhow, so I got out with HB for a rehunt of an old spot of mine. I was hoping that we'd pull a few more keepers out, and I was right. We got into the iron patch and started swinging. A few musketballs, pewter pieces, and some cast iron came up...then as I was digging a hole for a good target, HB yelled "I've got a coin!" I went over to see a nickel-sized disc he had placed on top of the plug:

4.jpg

The coin rang up as an 18 on his XLT, so we knew it was indeed a nickel. I knew it had to be a Shield since the site was so old. 8)

When I came back to the hole I had just dug, I looked down and there was a Large Cent staring me in the face! I didn't even see it when I went over to check out HB's find.

5.jpg

6.jpg

We did a few more grid patterns and HB announced that he had a shotgun shell. I said "I doubt that's what it is. I don't remember any shell casings being dug in this field, ever." Well...it was a small Copper-Nickel cent. I just naturally assumed it was an IH fatty (wrong! ;D). BIG surprise when HB cleaned the coin at home...

Anyhow, we dug a while longer and called it a day. Here are our finds from that spot:

7.jpg

8.jpg

The small cent turned out to be an 1857 FLYING EAGLE. Congrats to HB on his first FE. :thumbsup: The shield was an 1869. My Large Cent was in awful condition. It will go in the log as "Dateless Matron Head." Here are photos of the finds after cleaning:

9.jpg

9a.jpg

finds 050.jpg

finds 053.jpg

Upvote 0

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Finds guys!! Congrats to HB on the FE-I have never found one of them . The pewter dog's head is very cool. Wonder what it is a part of? One of the musket/pistol balls has a large untrimmed sprue. They are fun to find. More HH!!

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
I've said it a million times already, but whenever a large cent pops out, it is always a great hunt. :headbang: Even though she's not a beauty, I'm sure she is welcomed in your collection with open arms. It gets you one step closer to your goal of 25 for the year.

Great hunt, Buck, and good luck with your future sites. I hope you can nail that one you were talking about in the chat room. If so, you will be posting many more from Old Kentucky! :thumbsup:

Kyle

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB,
Congrats to all three of you on a great variety of relics. Super job on the coins. I know I'm weird, but that piece of china with the people on it is way cool. Are they wearing Colonial attire? ???
Great post!
-Doug-

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good haul there BB! :thumbsup: If you guys keep digging like that good things will happen!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
Nice Finds guys!! Congrats to HB on the FE-I have never found one of them . The pewter dog's head is very cool. Wonder what it is a part of? One of the musket/pistol balls has a large untrimmed sprue. They are fun to find. More HH!!

Thanks, VOL. I'm curious about the dog's head too. Perhaps it came from a decorated pewter beer stein? 8) I think I will post it in "What is it?" later on. I also like the musketballs with the sprue attached.

Regards,

Buckles

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding finds, Buckles. Love that flying Eagle cent. That looks like it's in good shape. Maybe you can pull some magic cleaning it and re-posting a pic later on ;D

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
The buckle with the PARIS printed on it, how old do you suppose that is? I found one with the same marking on it the other day. Just wondering. Congrats on the finds and great post. jgas

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet hunt, sure a lot of those eagles flying into find bags lately!

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KylePA said:
I've said it a million times already, but whenever a large cent pops out, it is always a great hunt.

I second that. Great digs.

That FE is in nice shape for a dug one. The couple that I've encountered were very corroded.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jgas said:
The buckle with the PARIS printed on it, how old do you suppose that is? I found one with the same marking on it the other day. Just wondering. Congrats on the finds and great post. jgas

The "Paris" buckle is mid-1800s. Thank you for your reply. :)

Best Wishes,

Buck

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
look at the pic with your large cent in the ground! look to the right next to the piece of dirt that was on top of the coin. looks like another coin. willy

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice old coins there congrats.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Great stuff, guys! I haven't seen a Flying Eagle in a while on Tnet. I love the fact that they come in right in the shotgun range (32-35 VDI on White's machines). So many "coin shooters" discriminate these out, or just choose not to dig them, leaving them for the more experienced. That one is in pretty decent shape. It is a shame they don't do well in most soil conditions.

:icon_thumright:

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Neil in West Jersey said:
Great stuff, guys! I haven't seen a Flying Eagle in a while on Tnet. I love the fact that they come in right in the shotgun range (32-35 VDI on White's machines). So many "coin shooters" discriminate these out, or just choose not to dig them, leaving them for the more experienced. That one is in pretty decent shape. It is a shame they don't do well in most soil conditions.

:icon_thumright:

Being the first FE I have dug I didn't understand why it was rinign in at a 32. Now it makes sense. I always dig em even when I know it's gonna be a shotgun brass. It is in pretty decent shape compared to most I've seen. Thanks for your reply

Rusted_Iron said:
KylePA said:
I've said it a million times already, but whenever a large cent pops out, it is always a great hunt.

I second that. Great digs.

That FE is in nice shape for a dug one. The couple that I've encountered were very corroded.

Thanks guys... that BBoy is on a roll lately with the coppers. Seems his coil goes over em first, but I'll take my first Flying Eagle :thumbsup:

Buckleboy, I am free to dig on Fr so lets go hit the park and the fairgrounds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread