Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ironhorse and I had a good day of digging, found and old site, dug all day, but just didn't hit the big one. Usually a day like this gives up an early military but this is a very weird year for us, they just don't seem to want to come out. If it had, it would have made the two trash dumps I dug into a whole lot more interesting, and probably worth digging out. The take was a bunch of buttons, including some pewter designed, a tombac designed, a silvered designed, and a couple neat matching glass ones. (I believe it's a ship with two sails and a flag... very hard to take a good pic) The coins are pretty crusty but are... 1797 Twopence/2 Penny (HUGE copper, and a first for me) 1775 Brit. George Halfpenny, Brit. George II & Irish George II.

The best thing about this hunt was it's a different area than we've been, and there's lots of fields left!

Attachments

• dd1.jpg
    dd1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,182
  • cart1.jpg
    cart1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,078
  • cart2.jpg
    cart2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,081
  • dd4.jpg
    dd4.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,093
  • dd8.jpg
    dd8.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,086
  • dd7.jpg
    dd7.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,094
Upvote 1
OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taking nothing away from IH, as i am sure he will agree, it's not everyday that a two penny cartwheel is dug.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Iron Patch said:
TimTrac said:
Nice finds IP..... and you got out with a fellow competitor in the field.... I think he may have outdone you on the digs though...... :laughing7:

I can add my misc. non worthy finds to the pic too! :wink: :thumbsup: My trash pile is much larger than my finds pile, unfortunately.

I'd probably take the trash pile as a good day, any day. :D

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Taking nothing away from IH, as i am sure he will agree, it's not everyday that a two penny cartwheel is dug.

It's the only day in near the 10 years we've been digging together! If only numinmatic value was based on how hard it was to find.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, I near missed one, cuz there ain't hardly nothing left. Will post a heartbreaker in a bit. :'( This would have made my hunt... but it is what it is! ;D

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
romeo-1 said:

you got that right, yours and IP's are the only ones outside the UK I've ever seen dug

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ironhorse said:
romeo-1 said:

you got that right, yours and IP's are the only ones outside the UK I've ever seen dug

I don't recall seeing a dug one ever for sale... even from the UK.

I think Shaun is hoarding them. :laughing9:

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Iron Patch said:
Dang, I near missed one, cuz there ain't hardly nothing left. Will post a heartbreaker in a bit. :'( This would have made my hunt... but it is what it is! ;D

Can't wait to see this one. :o

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RPG said:
Iron Patch said:

Can't wait to see this one. :o

Trust me, there's not much to see! It's only because it's familiar to me did I recognize what it was. 99.99% of people would have thrown it in with the junk. (and I almost did)

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are sure some sweet finds in my book...considering the time of year ironhorse nailed it, calling that 2 penny a hockey puck...that sucker is huge.. love that glass button too.. great finds budddy!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turns out I did dig a good piece of early American history today, just a VERY ugly one. Too bad... Rev War Officer button.

Attachments

• kb5.jpg
    kb5.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 873
  • kb3.jpg
    kb3.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 879
  • kb1.jpg
    kb1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 875

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RPG said:
Wish I could come up there and hunt one of these days. Of coarse I'd have to invest in a minelab first. :-\ Awesome finds you guys are pulling out of the ground. :icon_thumright:

Good Luck
Randy

Randy, I don't think you'd need a Minelab. With the Vaquero you'd do just fine at those type of sites.

Hey Patch, were those targets all fairly close together, or more spread out over the field?

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rusted_Iron said:
RPG said:
Wish I could come up there and hunt one of these days. Of coarse I'd have to invest in a minelab first. :-\ Awesome finds you guys are pulling out of the ground. :icon_thumright:

Good Luck
Randy

Hey Patch, were those targets all fairly close together, or more spread out over the field?

Spread out and we'll be back one more time to finish the clean up.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ironhorse said:
Iron Patch said:
Turns out I did dig a good piece of early American history today, just a VERY ugly one. Too bad... Rev War Officer button.

east coast toast

I bet it won't be the only early military from that area! I knew i could smell it when we got there... it just seemed like that kinda place.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to bad about the shape bu, like you said on an earlier post...it is what it is!...sweet!!!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Patriot said:
to bad about the shape bu, like you said on an earlier post...it is what it is!...sweet!!!

I'll still take it for sure. It gives a lot more hope to those sites for more early military with something like that showing up. I still might have a shot at my keeper relic yet!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Damn...I'll bet you could find those KARs on the frigging moon!!

It looks like this latest one was on the moon and burned up coming back. Even so, it makes my day more than all the other stuff... at least on the satisfaction meter.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch , In about two and a half years on this site I've maybe seen two of those tuppence
dug and posted -- In fact Until your post this evening, I forgot that those coins were a two
penny piece rather than a one , and is it true they only made them for that one year 1797 ?
Huge congrats !!!! Argentium.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions