Small Silver Hoard

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Went back to the USA for the last two weeks to see Mom on her 89th Birthday. I was telling her about my Metal Detecting hobby, and she mentions that tin can my family use to fill up with foreign coins from travels and friends we collected over the decades. I thought maybe with the silver prices increasing, just maybe there would be a few to separate as keepers, so decided to go through it but postponed it until the last couple of days of my visit.

<<<<<<FLASHBACK 25 YEARS AGO<<<<<<<

Needing some freedom money for a round the world trip, I told my father that I was going to sell my coin collection. Being the great Dad he always was, he said he'd buy them from me (overpaid, of course) and sell them later on, making it easier for me to leave on the trip the following day. Never thought about those coins for 25 years, until recently when I joined TreasureNet, and started getting those remorse feelings we all get from long lost stupid moves.

>>>>>FAST FORWARD to November 15, 2009>>>>>

I open the old family tin can full of foreign coins, spilled them out on the carpet, and lo and behold, there is part of my long wished for old coin collection. Dad died 3 years back, but he was ever present as I lifted each and every coin, good condition or bad, important or not, out of the pile. Guess he knew what he was doing, as he always did. And I can't stop smiling, either. Thanks, Dad.

May this experience visit everyone....

PICS:
First, is a 1921 Peace dollar. (2 sides)
Second, is a Stone Mountain 1925 50c, that I had found in change in the 60's. (2 sides)
Third, is 4 Silver dollars..1881-O... 1891...1921 x 2. (2 sides)
Fourth, is a handful of silver.
Fifth, is a handful of 40% silver.

Attachments

• Mvc-078f.jpg
    Mvc-078f.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,288
  • Mvc-079f.jpg
    Mvc-079f.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,281
  • Mvc-080f.jpg
    Mvc-080f.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,290
  • Mvc-081f.jpg
    Mvc-081f.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,279
  • Mvc-082f.jpg
    Mvc-082f.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,286
  • Mvc-083f.jpg
    Mvc-083f.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,277
  • Mvc-084f.jpg
    Mvc-084f.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,266
  • Mvc-085f.jpg
    Mvc-085f.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,265
Upvote 0
OP
OP
goldnow

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
changin-tymes said:
Thanks for the cool and well written story. 'like a coin that won't get lost, rollin' home you too you..
'ol man take a look at my life I'm a lot like you.... ' neil young c1970's

bob/ct

Thanks , and a perfect lyric by a perfect musician. One of my all time favorites.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My old man passed away in 94 , but there isnt a day goes buy when I dont talk to him whether it be to cuss him out for not being here to tell me something to wanting to share a dirty joke at 3 am waking him up like we used to do to each other , but I know I loved the old guy an miss him daily .I see you dad made wise choices also , congrats on your finds .

OP
OP
goldnow

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Tank69 said:
My old man passed away in 94 , but there isnt a day goes buy when I dont talk to him whether it be to cuss him out for not being here to tell me something to wanting to share a dirty joke at 3 am waking him up like we used to do to each other , but I know I loved the old guy an miss him daily .I see you dad made wise choices also , congrats on your finds .

You put our feelings down well. Thanks.

OP
OP
goldnow

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
ModernMiner said:
Great post. :thumbsup: My Dad was killed two years ago, and I really miss him & his humor.
That Stone Mountain coin is very cool. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the post,
MM

Sorry to hear about your father going that way. Always keep thinking of the good times you had together. My Dad was 93 and his time had come. I don't think of him as old and frail, but young, driving too fast, and telling his favorite stories over and over, ever embellishing them to keep them interesting.

OP
OP
goldnow

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Ricky1601 aka pull tab king said:
wow great story and nice coins, I looked in my red book and the stone mountain coin is not listed, at least not in the half dollar parts. anyway it may be worth some $$. thanks for sharing and hh

Not that it matters in this particular case, but you got my curiosity up and I found this quote on the PCGS website for the Stone Mountain 50 Center: I guess mine is on the low end.

1925 50C Stone Mountain-- 40 56 65 70 78 100 275 375 1,400 24,000

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
ya my dad passed a couple of years ago now and i go threw some of his coins and such wich i have now and it brings back some good memories. theres some coins i gave him. 1924 peice dollar(his birth year) and a 1849 large cent my first one. i know your not selling like me but that 1921 peice is worth some money. willy

cival war hunter 2 !

Dec 29, 2007
My great grandfather passed in 2005 at the age of 99. He was born in 1905..

dfx willy said:
ya my dad passed a couple of years ago now and i go threw some of his coins and such wich i have now and it brings back some good memories. theres some coins i gave him. 1924 peice dollar(his birth year) and a 1849 large cent my first one. i know your not selling like me but that 1921 peice is worth some money. willy

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
all i have from my dad is a picture and a knife i bought by borrowing some money to go to the gun show a month before he died and a piece dog collection that i have added to and passed on to my son he was suppossed to be my best man that spring in 97 he died in nov 96 but i have some awsome memories of me and him our first fishing trip our first beer and the dirty jokes and dam the first time he walked in on me and the nieghbor girl damn damn damn i seen the mountains and almost touched them untill igot picked up my the scruff of the neck and kicking my hind end all the way up the alley to my bedroom hehehe and it makes me cry like a baby everytime i here amazing grace played on the bag pipes by the black whatch pipes i had a piper play it at his funeral

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread