Small Silver Hoard

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Went back to the USA for the last two weeks to see Mom on her 89th Birthday. I was telling her about my Metal Detecting hobby, and she mentions that tin can my family use to fill up with foreign coins from travels and friends we collected over the decades. I thought maybe with the silver prices increasing, just maybe there would be a few to separate as keepers, so decided to go through it but postponed it until the last couple of days of my visit.

<<<<<<FLASHBACK 25 YEARS AGO<<<<<<<

Needing some freedom money for a round the world trip, I told my father that I was going to sell my coin collection. Being the great Dad he always was, he said he'd buy them from me (overpaid, of course) and sell them later on, making it easier for me to leave on the trip the following day. Never thought about those coins for 25 years, until recently when I joined TreasureNet, and started getting those remorse feelings we all get from long lost stupid moves.

>>>>>FAST FORWARD to November 15, 2009>>>>>

I open the old family tin can full of foreign coins, spilled them out on the carpet, and lo and behold, there is part of my long wished for old coin collection. Dad died 3 years back, but he was ever present as I lifted each and every coin, good condition or bad, important or not, out of the pile. Guess he knew what he was doing, as he always did. And I can't stop smiling, either. Thanks, Dad.

May this experience visit everyone....

PICS:
First, is a 1921 Peace dollar. (2 sides)
Second, is a Stone Mountain 1925 50c, that I had found in change in the 60's. (2 sides)
Third, is 4 Silver dollars..1881-O... 1891...1921 x 2. (2 sides)
Fourth, is a handful of silver.
Fifth, is a handful of 40% silver.

Attachments

• Mvc-078f.jpg
    Mvc-078f.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,288
  • Mvc-079f.jpg
    Mvc-079f.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,281
  • Mvc-080f.jpg
    Mvc-080f.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,290
  • Mvc-081f.jpg
    Mvc-081f.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,279
  • Mvc-082f.jpg
    Mvc-082f.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,286
  • Mvc-083f.jpg
    Mvc-083f.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,277
  • Mvc-084f.jpg
    Mvc-084f.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,266
  • Mvc-085f.jpg
    Mvc-085f.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,265
Upvote 0
OP
OP
goldnow

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Thanks for the good replies, everyone. Unfortunately, I didn't find the filled blue books (pennies, dimes, nickels, quarters) with some killer key dates, but I couldn't be happier to be re-united with some solid silver memories. I always loved that "Stone Mountain" 50 center.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure have soem nice looking silver there....Matt

Michaelangelo

Jun 9, 2009
Piedmont N.C.
I know how you feel. My Dad passed away almost two years ago and in going through his belongings I ran across a bag of old coins he had saved. A lot of old silver- morgans, half dimes, dimes, quarters, and even a Stone Mountain coin just like yours. I still pull out the bag every once in a while and look, all the while feeling Dad's presence. Sure do miss him and Mom.

OP
OP
goldnow

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Michaelangelo said:
I know how you feel. My Dad passed away almost two years ago and in going through his belongings I ran across a bag of old coins he had saved. A lot of old silver- morgans, half dimes, dimes, quarters, and even a Stone Mountain coin just like yours. I still pull out the bag every once in a while and look, all the while feeling Dad's presence. Sure do miss him and Mom.

Funny, we had/have the same experience and we are both from Piemonte, except mine is in Italy.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 3rd picture down the commemorative coin? ??? Some of those older commemorative coins are worth some money. :icon_scratch: Don't sell that one for melt.... Heh :laughing7:

Keep @ it and HH!! ;D :D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post. :thumbsup: My Dad was killed two years ago, and I really miss him & his humor.
That Stone Mountain coin is very cool. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the post,
MM

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. Thank you. That was a very moving post. You had a terrific Dad.

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story, I treasure the coin collection my father passed to me.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have always wanted the Stone Mountain coin.

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your dad sounded like a good man. My Kids and wife probably don't know it, but every single coin That I sleeve up will someday be there's. I am not getting rid of any coins. My kids will have all my silver, gold whatever I find from now on. I figure they can either pass them on or sell them off when I am dead and gone. Hopefully they will have alot..

Dec 27, 2005
Bay Area Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's M6, SPECTRA V3I.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow great story and nice coins, I looked in my red book and the stone mountain coin is not listed, at least not in the half dollar parts. anyway it may be worth some $$. thanks for sharing and hh

OP
OP
goldnow

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Thank you everybody for your kind and supportive replies. No, I have no intention of selling a single dime of this small hoard. Besides Dad's gold ring that I wear, these coins are the best memory of him that I can hold and relive his presence and importance in my life, the good times we shared, the lessons he taught me, and the places he brought me to. I know many who were unlucky to not have a good relationship with their fathers, which is a shame and an opportunity lost. I feel for their loss.

Though I won't be selling any of the silver, and as I don't have a son of my own, unfortunately, I will be giving away some of the Kennedy halves to sons and grandsons of friends and neighbors I know who have an interest in collecting. If their interest grows, I will consider giving others to them. Except the Stone Mountain and the Peace Dollar. There's is nothing like a silver dollar in hand,..... except maybe the St. Gauden's $20 gold, but that is just a guess at this moment...;)

Goldnow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread