OP
Johnlightning

Johnlightning

Sep 2, 2008
Indian Territories
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Etrac and SE Pro
Best detectors built by far!
Well this is how the day played out, Chuck Marcum of Indian Nations Detectors took me with him hunting to a spot around Muskogee OK to a horse pasture that he had hunted in the past with owners permission. He had found some 3 ringers and a few eagle buttons in the past and since the grass was low from the cattle and horses grazzing he wanted to hunt it again with the new Minelab Etrac. He is a Minelab dealer and I purchased mine from him. Well it was becoming one of those days when you ask yourself why am I into this so much, get up at 6 AM drive 1 hour and walk around like a nomad looking for something that beeps. It was getting late and all i had found was one 69 cal roundball, while Chuck had found many 3 ringers and a few Eagle buttons and I was ready to go to another site when I got a good signal that came in as a dime 12-42 but deap on the scale and both ways I swung was there, but as many of you know that could be shredded pop can like I had dug just before that so I shoveled the first pile out of the hole and the signal was still there in the hole, 2nd dig and it was still there, by now the pop can shred should be out of the hole so I was getting kind of exited so turned on my UniProbe and went down in the hole and I sang off, so in for a 3nd load of dirt and I could see the reeded edge and I thought I finally got a Seated Half or a Bust because of the size, picked up the clod of dirt it was in and pushed on it and the coin dropped into my hand, first thing I thought was that is heavy, flicked some of the dirt off and thought I just dug one of those Gold Plated Kennedy Halfs, crap! Then came the next flick of dirt of it and there She was LADY LIBERTY HEAD!!!!! I ripped of my headphones and screamed like a little girl for Chuck, he was about 200 yards away so he said come here so I ran over to him, I thought I was going to pass out or throw up, didnt know which one but there is was a 20 Dollar Gold coin in my hand, He said 1850 with no mint mark. The photo is of the coins 5 minutes after I dug it with some of the dirt still on it. Like Chuck said We dont get many coins in the old spots but when we do they are good ones.

Attachments

• duggold.jpg
    duggold.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 5,663
  • goldfront.jpg
    goldfront.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 5,635
  • 1850back.jpg
    1850back.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 5,620

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Just simply awesome !!!!!

What else can you say. Seeing a find like that can leave a person speechless.

Congrats on a Find of a Lifetime !!!

Brian in MA

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for taking the time to write the detailed description, it helped us all relive your big moment of excitement. I can't imagine what that must have been like. What a day! Congratulations on the well-deserved banner.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on that nice $20 gold coin and making the banner.
I hope you rechecked the hole and all around it. There could be more.
roger

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
That is just awesome! Nothing better than seeing a gold coin come from the ground. I've only experienced it once, and mine was an 1886s $10 gold coin. Seeing that gold reeded edge peeking out of the dark dirt clod I was holding was an experience I'll never forget. I'm sure you'll never forget finding this $20 gold coin either.

Congrats on making the banner.

Jim

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes that's one heckuva find! :notworthy:

That deserves a "Doing the Bull Dance"

bull.gif

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story,you never expect it do ya!Kudos to you for not touching either of the surfaces,that is a huge no no!Could ruin the value! :thumbsup:

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
rodgerdodger said:
Congratulations on that nice $20 gold coin and making the banner.
I hope you rechecked the hole and all around it. There could be more.
roger

I hate when people talk from experience...;)

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!!Simply awesome.

Top Member Reactions