Good Karma

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Took the day off of work to spend with me swinging the coil a bit. Headed out onto the Chesapeake Bay out to an island that is very popular with boaters in the summer and can only be reached by boat. So I loaded my canoe into the truck (not too long of a paddle in shallow water) and got out to the Island. Alot of beer drinkers on this beach.

pull tab
pull tab
pull tab
pull tab.....etc.

Then I noticed somthing on the beach a bit further up and went to investigate. It was a horseshoe crab stuck on its back and still alive. I flipped the poor guy over and off he went back into the water. Wouldn't you know the next 6 swings of the coil were all coins. no rings but I'll take it. Found some nice shells and some old bottles as well.

So I headed back to shore and to a field that I have permission to hunt. Found a 2 cent piece here a few years ago and thought I'd hit that spot. nothing.

Spotted a trial heading into the woods and decided what the heck lets see where this goes. Walked about 5 paces into trail and found this beauty. to add, the scratchs even though the look new, were not by me. the front was caked with dirt and didn't see was it was until a water rinsing.

Thanks little horseshoe crab buddy.

Attachments

• IMG_3176.JPG
    IMG_3176.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_3177.JPG
    IMG_3177.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 483
Upvote 0

teddy

Nov 7, 2009
Very nice find.
If the scratches are new maybe they were done by someone who tried to dig it before?
teddy

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find there those seated coins are awesome congrats.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find there, those seated coins are awesome congrats.

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all the replies.

It's my first seated coin btw

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
teddy said:
Very nice find.
If the scratches are new maybe they were done by someone who tried to dig it before?
teddy

That very well could be the case. There is a home 50 yards away that was built in 1750 or thereabouts. I was right up against the property (where I found the 2 cent piece) line when a lady came out and we had a chat. then she says, "you need to go out to the middle of the field there, thats where those fellas found that "prize coin" years ago" I can find the spot she mentioned as the nail content is very high, but have not found anything there. I think if there is anything left it is too deep for my machine. I've been hoping the field would be turned this year when the soybeans were harvested but no luck yet. oh and detecting around the little stems that are left behind is a bugger.

have not found much at all in the middle of the field so I'm probably going to have to get more into the thick woods nearby to find anything else exciting.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
See a lot of the 1850's era seated coins. Nice to see one in the 40's...Nice find. Karma pays off...Crab Flipper! :laughing9: jgas

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
jgas said:
See a lot of the 1850's era seated coins. Nice to see one in the 40's...Nice find. Karma pays off...Crab Flipper! :laughing9: jgas

HaHa. Counting the number of little blue ones I've eaten in my life I probably had bad karma on the beaches ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions