B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob / rwsnc1 and i have been detecting at Dix Hill for several years with our oldest coin or relic being a 1920 British Penny.

Finally last Sunday amongst all of the trash, i pulled out a Williams cleaner. :hello2:
Today we went back and i got a 3 ringer and additional cleaner which has me Jazzed.
I`m guessing Gen. Sherman.

There`s got to be brass there some where besides Bob`s WB lock which i assume means Warner Brothers. ::) Any Ideas?

Unlike the ringers and cleaners i found with Modern Miner on the north side of town maybe from Gen. Grant these are slightly different in shape. You don`t suppose they got there rounds ammo from a different supplier do you?

Not pictured are aluminum can shrapnel and foil.

Thanks for looking :thumbsup:

http://www.ncsu.edu/ligon/rt/dix/dix.htm

PS: Can`t wait to find a un-curled CW sword plate. :icon_pirat:
Happy Hunting all.
Bill

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,011
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,024
  • all.jpg
    all.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,015
  • WB lock.jpg
    WB lock.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,015
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds there. I always like finding the cleaner bullets. Glad you know the history of the site as well. Good look on your future endevours !!
hh
tnmtns

half-serious

Greenie
Apr 1, 2009
MS
Detector(s) used
Silver uMax, Ace 250
Some nice finds there.

Actually WB is the lock manufacturer's initials - Wilson Bohannan

h-s

OP
OP
B|lker

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your reply TnMountains and info half-serious.

I`ll add this one to my lock collection.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill,
Congrats on the CW bullets. You guys have beat the p-ss out of Dix, and it's still producing for you.
Way to go,
Doug

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ModernMiner said:
Bill,
Congrats on the CW bullets. You guys have beat the p-ss out of Dix, and it's still producing for you.
Way to go,
Doug

You're right, Doug. We have beat the P-ss out of it, but it keeps producing. I'm just surprised that we haven't found more CW relics there until Bill started unearthing the 3 ringers.

catbird

Oct 18, 2008
raleigh
Detector(s) used
whites XLT
i've also hunted dix a couple of times and found a three ringer and a infatry button in the same hole. also a lot of clad change and some that is silver, being that as kids in the 60's use to play football on the field all the time. most of the union troops were camped futher from the city, more back towards where the farmers market sits know . hundreds of artifacts were found during the construction of the market. another place to search is walk with a detector in rocky creek from the rr tracks on western to ash av. this area was also camped on and they used the creek as drinking water in those days. also took baths in there. they would throw unwanted items in there also. there were 60,000 troops camped out around raleigh at one time. i have even found minnie balls on the other side in the oakwood section.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds BJ!!! Those Williams Cleaners with the zinc discs really sound good don't they? As you probably know, the Union Soldiers hated to fire them as the zinc disc expanded more rapidly than the lead and they kicked real bad. That's why you find so many dropped cleaners. They have always sounded better to me than a dropped 3 ring bullet and the fact that you are still recovering them at the hill tells me that the site is far from hunted out. Good luck there, Quindy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread