johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hit the wetlands again today hoping to find any remains of the 1812 encampment that guarded the salt works. in a slightly raised area of cedar trees by the reed line I found lead sprue, possibly a saddle tack (square pin), a what is it, and a N.Y. Militia button (NY110) from 1815. I was using the 12x15 coil, no discrimination, sensitivity 26. The button was very deep, and a poor signal probably in part because it was encrusted with iron. Now at least I've got some new information that N.Y. was serving in the marsh. (almost all the buttons I've found so far in the marsh have been military, which kind of says nobody goes in there unless they're ordered to or are shooting ducks. :D...or they're crazy enough to look for relics)

If the button hadn't been next to iron it would be almost unidentifiable due to all the salts, so the iron was good. It was a toss up whether to leave it alone or remove the iron, and I'm kind of sorry I didn't leave it alone...but at least the detail is all readable now. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• stuffa.jpg
    stuffa.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 251
  • buttoncleana.jpg
    buttoncleana.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 250
  • abuttonbacka.jpg
    abuttonbacka.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 249
Upvote 0

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice button! Appears to be a NY. Congrats!
Mike

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even when your digs are limited you still seem to score a keeper! :thumbsup:

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Sweet button, John! You are in the zone! :hello2:

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like that button there jonny,and you know I like the marsh hunting. :headbang: :laughing9: Hope you guy's had a good Thanksgiving.The first I've had with no turkey.Just big old juicy T-Bone steaks. :laughing9: :hello:

OP
OP
johnnyi

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks guys. I'm excited when something's there that should be there. Judging from the artillery button I found there earlier on, there's got to be at least one cannon ball somewhere too, but it'll be deeeep! The last resort will be dragging out the twin box. :D

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very nice. Congradulations. HH.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread