Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks, a lot of you know I've been whining like a little school girl for years now trying to find a large cent, which some of you dig up on a regular basis. Well today was my day and I can FINALLY say I'm a member of the Large Cent Club (LCC).
Yaba-daba-doooo!!!! :icon_thumleft:
Bubba and I detected at the 1850's house I recently gained permission to detect. Up to now, my best find here was two somewhat rare CW bullets a few weeks back. To keep from wasting my time digging crappe' today, I set my Silver Umax discrimination high so I could concentrate on digging coins. After digging up only modern clad at up to 8" deep in the yard, I decided to head to the upper horse pasture which was half way between the house and an 1800's church down the road a bit.
The grass was about 3" tall and it was like the sound of silence out there until I got a good signal. I dug my plug, and at about 5" deep I saw a beautiful round coin in the hole. Was this it???? Could it be???? Yes, it was!!!! The elusive large cent that has been avoiding me for almost three years now. :hello2: It turned out to be an 1850 LC. A common date, but I still love her. :love4: I ran to get my video camera from my truck, and prayed the horses wouldn't eat my equipment or my LC. ;D I got back to the spot to film and my camera batteries were dead! :'( %@&# it!!!
Oh well. :dontknow: Needless to say, I will be gridding off that huge pasture now. :wink:

I know an LC is nothing for some of you guys & gals to find, but to me this experience was as fun as digging my NC buckle. :thumbsup: It's a great feeling that I will always remember.
What's funny is I dug a "The Royal" suits merit token today too, and remembered digging one a few years ago. Here is that post from 2007:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,127272.0.html
If you notice, I was whining even in that post about wanting to find an LC. ;D

Kyle-
I know it's not Colonial, but I want to say "thanks" for your support over the years and helping me "keep the passion high" on my quest for this elusive coin.
Now I need you support on finding a 1700's coin or a large silver in 2010. :icon_thumleft: ;D

O.K., on with the rest of the finds.........

*1850 Large Cent :occasion14: - How can I clean this coin up a bit to see more detail???

*The Royal Suit merit token

*Gold diamond & saphire ring- The heart stopper! :o Turned out to be gold plated. :'( :'( :'(

*Beautiful old key - Any idea of the age? :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

*Bird band - Any ideas on this one? :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

*Possible button :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

*"Big Winston" work clothes button (Bubba's find)

Thanks for looking folks and once again, "YA-HOOOOOOOOO" :headbang:
-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-095S.JPG
    MVC-095S.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,613
  • MVC-096S.JPG
    MVC-096S.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,601
  • MVC-102S.JPG
    MVC-102S.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,590
  • MVC-101S.JPG
    MVC-101S.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,610
  • MVC-100S.JPG
    MVC-100S.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,605
  • MVC-099S.JPG
    MVC-099S.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,615
  • MVC-098S.JPG
    MVC-098S.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,608
  • MVC-097S.JPG
    MVC-097S.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,617
  • MVC-103S.JPG
    MVC-103S.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,598
  • MVC-104S.JPG
    MVC-104S.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,601
  • MVC-105S.JPG
    MVC-105S.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,594
  • MVC-106S.JPG
    MVC-106S.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,597
Upvote 6
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KylePA said:
YES! YES!! YES!!! :headbang: :headbang: The Dug Man from NC did it! :headbang: :notworthy: That large cent is sweet, Dug, and I know you'll cherish it until you find your next...and then next...and then next...and until you have too many to even count!!! :headbang:
I hope you find two or three more there! I know you'll nail a site like that and I'm putting my money on this current one! :hello2:

Sir Kyle

Thanks Kyle,
It took what seemed like a lifetime to finally get an LC. For some reason I seem to have pretty good luck in Nov. & Dec.
Hopefully there will be some more out there waiting for me. :thumbsup:
-LC Dug-

tymcmurray said:
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!
And WELCOME!!!

Thanks Ty.
Now I need to try to get into the 1700's Copper Club. ;D
-Doug-

crazyjarhead said:
Doug, are you the "Good boy" that token was intended for :laughing7: Nice finds, Buddy. You scored big on the LC..........................and your first. You dug some cool relics as well. Love the old key too. I'd be hammering that place for days. With goodies like that it can only mean one thing. There's more

Thanks Ron.
The good boy token may by my good luck charm? ;D
-Doug-

terpfan said:
Congratulations on getting that elusive first LC. You were the Susan Lucci of treasure hunters! We all knew you'd put pulling a LC up sooner or later. Now that you've broken the LC slump, you'll probably post three more before Christmas. WTG Doug!

Hilarious Terp! ;D Susan Lucci I am indeed. Now if I can just go from "All my children" to "All my copper" :tongue3:
Thanks,
Doug

Michiganne said:
Congrats, Doug, on that first LC. :icon_thumleft: Sweet ring and key, too. Lots of cool relics as usual. :hello2: Good luck gridding that place and no more whining. :)

HH

Thanks Mich. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

dirt doctor said:
Great going on your Large Cent :thumbsup: . Sure wish I could find one of those ! I think the bird band may be from a racing Pigeon .
H H ,
George

Thanks George. Your time will come.
Any idea where I could get info on the bird band?
-Doug-

jrsherman said:
Congratulations Doug, and man do I know the feeling!

Me and a friend started hunting a 10 acre area, and in the course of the 20-30 times we hunted it, he got 15-20 LC's, not to mention about 70-80 other 1850 and earlier coins, and the entire time I finally wound up with 4 good ones, but they were a VA Half, a 1 reale, a 2 cent, and a KG3. Same machine, same settings, same coil, and he didn't even use headphones. Still gets me to this day!

I'm still waiting on my first as well. Congrats on a super goal!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Thanks Jr,
That sounds like one heck of a spot you guys hit. I'd be happy with your finds, but I do know what you're saying. That's just crazy. :dontknow:
-Doug-

Sniffy said:
HOOOORAY! a H....U...G...E! CONGRATS! I cleaned my first Large Cent (1847) I boiled a plastic container of Hydrogen Peroxide in the microwave. Plop the coin in for about 10 minutes or so (varies) and wiped her clean with Q-tips. My coin looked 100% better when I was finished. Use your own discretion, but thats what I did and it worked wonders. Once again, CONGRATS! :hello2:

Thanks Sniffy,
I may give that a shot. :icon_thumleft:
-Doug-

whitesPA said:
nice finds

Thanks Whites. :icon_thumleft:

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good hunt M.M. That Largie I hope ended the long awaited slump.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mikefromIllinois said:
nice LC Doug, i have only found 2 in my 30 plus years of detecting. Mike

Thanks Mike, now I don't feel so bad. :wink: ;D
-Doug-

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't this the common counterfit LC that was made and deposited in NC? :dontknow:
Just kidding. Congratulations it couldn't happen to a better person. :thumbsup:

Burdie

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Burdie said:
Isn't this the common counterfit LC that was made and deposited in NC? :dontknow:
Just kidding. Congratulations it couldn't happen to a better person. :thumbsup:

Burdie

Burdie,
Good try, but this is actually the 1850 LC that Abe Lincoln dropped while down south picking up some potted meat. :tongue3:
Ya nut!!!
-Doug-

nova said:
Good hunt M.M. That Largie I hope ended the long awaited slump.

Nova,
I hope so. I think I'll wear it around my neck. ;D
-MM-

ruffneck

Apr 3, 2009
Kansas
Detector(s) used
DFX/M6, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[i

][/i] Nice large cent, hope to find one some day. The lead thing you were asking about
is a homemade fishing sinker i believe.. Tim

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey... congratulations on the LC, Doug. Your other finds look good too. How did Bubba do?

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Congrats, MM, that should be on the banner for being one of the hardest earned LC's on the site. I'll never forget my first, the LC's were the reason I bought an MD. for some reason, they seem easier after the first one, too, so here's to your second one !!! Big congrats !!!

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
dirt doctor said:
I think the bird band may be from a racing Pigeon .

........that obviously didn't win. :-\

Glad you were luckier than that pigeon. WTG on the LC. I've only dug 1 this year. My other 2 were dug in the same yard 27 years ago. (long dry spell). That key looks like it's for a big brass railroad padlock. Not sure on the age. I'd guess mid to late 1800's. :dontknow:

Welcome to the LC club! :headbang:
Cm2db

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and thanks for the inspiration she is a beauty!

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's nothing like finding those old copper and Colonial coins. It just opens up the gates for finding anything from that there time period.... You just found a piece of history that an early Pioneer had in his possesion. Knowing that, the potential of finding more goodies goes up......With all that said!!!
Congrats and welcome to the Large Cent Club............ :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Keep on Digging!! John

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Large Cent find, I'm still waiting for mine. Great group of finds. :icon_thumright:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt...congrats!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ruffneck said:
[i

][/i] Nice large cent, hope to find one some day. The lead thing you were asking about
is a homemade fishing sinker i believe.. Tim

Thanks Tim.
The piece isn't lead though. It's hollow and has the weight more like silver. Too light to be lead, and too heavy to be aluminum.
I'm hoping it turns out to be an early button, that another member contacted me about. He's looking into it now.
-MM-

dirt doctor said:
Doug ,

Look under homing pigeons there are all kinds of web sites posted there . One of them should have a spot to track down registered birds .

H H ,
George

Thanks George.
Funny you should mention that. My uncle has a PASSENGER pigeon from the early 1900's he wants me to sell for him in the spring. As you know they are extinct now. It is in a glass case and was my great grandfathers (a taxidermist). He has all the infi of who shot it, where, and when. I was told they bring a pretty good price on E-bay whenever they do come up for sale.
I'll check into this bird band and see if I can track it down. I think that town is in Ohio. :icon_scratch:
-MM-

Ricky1601 aka pull tab king said:
congrats on your 1st LC, now that you've broken the ice I'm sure you will get more. thanks for sharing and hh

Thanks Ricky,
Just the fun of gridding off that whole pasture will make it all worth it to me, since I don't get that chance often around here.
-MM-

rwsnc said:
Hey... congratulations on the LC, Doug. Your other finds look good too. How did Bubba do?

Bob,
I would have died if Bill was there and found that LC before me AGAIN. ;D Thank God!
Bubba didn't have much time to detect yesterday, and said he didn't have his DFX tuned right. Maybe I'll recommend a Tesoro Silver Umax to him. :laughing9:
-Doug-

gold fish said:
Congrats, MM, that should be on the banner for being one of the hardest earned LC's on the site. I'll never forget my first, the LC's were the reason I bought an MD. for some reason, they seem easier after the first one, too, so here's to your second one !!! Big congrats !!!

GF,
It sure felt like a banner find to ME. ;D It was almost like winning the lottery after waiting that long to find one. :thumbsup:
Loking forward to #2.
-MM-

coinmaster2db said:
dirt doctor said:
I think the bird band may be from a racing Pigeon .

........that obviously didn't win. :-\

Glad you were luckier than that pigeon. WTG on the LC. I've only dug 1 this year. My other 2 were dug in the same yard 27 years ago. (long dry spell). That key looks like it's for a big brass railroad padlock. Not sure on the age. I'd guess mid to late 1800's. :dontknow:

Welcome to the LC club! :headbang:
Cm2db

Thanks Cm2db,
I heard that bird was in 1st place until he was shot down over a NC tobacco field. Poor Homer. :'( :wink:
I hope I don't have to wait 27 years to find another LC, because I'll be too old to swing a detector. ;D
-MM-

relic lover said:
Welcome and thanks for the inspiration she is a beauty!

Thanks RL,
Hopefully your time is next. :thumbsup:
-MM-

The Seeker said:
There's nothing like finding those old copper and Colonial coins. It just opens up the gates for finding anything from that there time period.... You just found a piece of history that an early Pioneer had in his possesion. Knowing that, the potential of finding more goodies goes up......With all that said!!!
Congrats and welcome to the Large Cent Club............ :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Keep on Digging!! John

Thanks John,
Although this place hasn't been as productive as a few of the other old spots I hit, there is a lot of land to cover yet, AND it did turn up my first LC. :hello2:
-MM-

DigginThePast said:
Congrats on your first Large Cent find, I'm still waiting for mine. Great group of finds. :icon_thumright:

Thanks DTP,
MM

CONSTANTINVS said:
Great hunt...congrats!! :thumbsup:

Thanks Constantinvs,
MM

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!I didnt read all of the replies but I wanted to tell you,water can kill Largies....I learned the hard way!Your whatsit strikes me as part of a shot gun head?

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
Awesome!!I didnt read all of the replies but I wanted to tell you,water can kill Largies....I learned the hard way!Your whatsit strikes me as part of a shot gun head?

Thanks Kuger,
Since it is a common date I tried a bit of hot peroxide and a Q-tip on it, but not much improvement. It looks a bit better, but I'll leave it as-is now. :thumbsup:
-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-107S.JPG
    MVC-107S.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,059
  • MVC-108S.JPG
    MVC-108S.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,062

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread