Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks, a lot of you know I've been whining like a little school girl for years now trying to find a large cent, which some of you dig up on a regular basis. Well today was my day and I can FINALLY say I'm a member of the Large Cent Club (LCC).
Yaba-daba-doooo!!!! :icon_thumleft:
Bubba and I detected at the 1850's house I recently gained permission to detect. Up to now, my best find here was two somewhat rare CW bullets a few weeks back. To keep from wasting my time digging crappe' today, I set my Silver Umax discrimination high so I could concentrate on digging coins. After digging up only modern clad at up to 8" deep in the yard, I decided to head to the upper horse pasture which was half way between the house and an 1800's church down the road a bit.
The grass was about 3" tall and it was like the sound of silence out there until I got a good signal. I dug my plug, and at about 5" deep I saw a beautiful round coin in the hole. Was this it???? Could it be???? Yes, it was!!!! The elusive large cent that has been avoiding me for almost three years now. :hello2: It turned out to be an 1850 LC. A common date, but I still love her. :love4: I ran to get my video camera from my truck, and prayed the horses wouldn't eat my equipment or my LC. ;D I got back to the spot to film and my camera batteries were dead! :'( %@&# it!!!
Oh well. :dontknow: Needless to say, I will be gridding off that huge pasture now. :wink:

I know an LC is nothing for some of you guys & gals to find, but to me this experience was as fun as digging my NC buckle. :thumbsup: It's a great feeling that I will always remember.
What's funny is I dug a "The Royal" suits merit token today too, and remembered digging one a few years ago. Here is that post from 2007:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,127272.0.html
If you notice, I was whining even in that post about wanting to find an LC. ;D

Kyle-
I know it's not Colonial, but I want to say "thanks" for your support over the years and helping me "keep the passion high" on my quest for this elusive coin.
Now I need you support on finding a 1700's coin or a large silver in 2010. :icon_thumleft: ;D

O.K., on with the rest of the finds.........

*1850 Large Cent :occasion14: - How can I clean this coin up a bit to see more detail???

*The Royal Suit merit token

*Gold diamond & saphire ring- The heart stopper! :o Turned out to be gold plated. :'( :'( :'(

*Beautiful old key - Any idea of the age? :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

*Bird band - Any ideas on this one? :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

*Possible button :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

*"Big Winston" work clothes button (Bubba's find)

Thanks for looking folks and once again, "YA-HOOOOOOOOO" :headbang:
-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-095S.JPG
    MVC-095S.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,613
  • MVC-096S.JPG
    MVC-096S.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,601
  • MVC-097S.JPG
    MVC-097S.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,617
  • MVC-098S.JPG
    MVC-098S.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,608
  • MVC-099S.JPG
    MVC-099S.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,615
  • MVC-100S.JPG
    MVC-100S.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,605
  • MVC-101S.JPG
    MVC-101S.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,610
  • MVC-102S.JPG
    MVC-102S.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,590
  • MVC-103S.JPG
    MVC-103S.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,598
  • MVC-104S.JPG
    MVC-104S.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,601
  • MVC-105S.JPG
    MVC-105S.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,594
  • MVC-106S.JPG
    MVC-106S.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,597
Upvote 6
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doug, That is so awesome!!! Common date or not, it's pretty uncommon to find a LC so I'm happy for you. The other finds are cool too. Hope there's more where that came from!

WTG :thumbsup:
Nat

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Natman said:
Doug, That is so awesome!!! Common date or not, it's pretty uncommon to find a LC so I'm happy for you. The other finds are cool too. Hope there's more where that came from!

WTG :thumbsup:
Nat

Thanks Nat. :thumbsup:
Hopefully there will be a silver to be found at this place too. There is a guy in that area that has been detecting since the 70's. and I am told he doesn't gain permission to detect the spots either. I'm just hoping he hasn't been to this spot before. ;D The current owners have owned the property since 75', and they told me others have been here before with their Geiger counters. ;D
At least they missed the LC. ;D
Have a great week buddy,
Doug

allen said:
congrats on getting your first of
what im sure will be many LC's!!

Thanks Allen,
MM

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
CONGRATULATIONS DOUG!!!!! The LC Club finally.....The kinda stuff you always dig up I am surprised you have not found a cache of them :tongue3: I have dug three over the last three years and I am lucky for that. They are elusive buggers but man oh man does it make a great day when one pops up. Yours looks great just the way it is man. Oh by the way, it still has yet to snow up north here buddy....I hope I didn't just jinx myself... :laughing9: Congrats on the digs. :thumbsup: jgas

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Holy Guacamole Doug, Ya did it my friend. Welcome to the large penny club. It's a beauty too. :icon_sunny:I'm quite happy for you dude. Your perseverence paid huge dividends. One of many i'm sure. Now you only have close to a hundred more to catch up with me. ::) :tongue3: :laughing7:
Chris

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHOOO HOOOOO

Nice finds ( AND I WON`T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT YOU HOVERING BEHIND ME WITH YOU SHOVEL) :thumbsup: :laughing9: :laughing9:

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jgas said:
CONGRATULATIONS DOUG!!!!! The LC Club finally.....The kinda stuff you always dig up I am surprised you have not found a cache of them :tongue3: I have dug three over the last three years and I am lucky for that. They are elusive buggers but man oh man does it make a great day when one pops up. Yours looks great just the way it is man. Oh by the way, it still has yet to snow up north here buddy....I hope I didn't just jinx myself... :laughing9: Congrats on the digs. :thumbsup: jgas

Thanks Jgas.
It was killing me watching everyone posting LC's like they were memorial pennies, but I had yet to get one, even at all the old 1800's spots I have hit over the years. I figured it out though, LC's grow in pastures not yards. :tongue3: :laughing9:
It was 70 degrees here today with butterflies fluttering around. Beat that! :icon_sunny:
Get ready for that snow buddy. :toothy2:
-Doug-

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
Holy Guacamole Doug, Ya did it my friend. Welcome to the large penny club. It's a beauty too. :icon_sunny:I'm quite happy for you dude. Your perseverence paid huge dividends. One of many i'm sure. Now you only have close to a hundred more to catch up with me. ::) :tongue3: :laughing7:
Chris

Thanks Chris,
All the stars were aligned yesterday I guess, either that or my coil finally hit the right area. ;D :dontknow:
I may need 100 more to catch you on old copper, but you still have ONE to catch me on an NC buckle. :laughing9: :tongue3:
I would suggest coming to NC for that. :wink: :icon_thumleft:
-LC Dug-

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
You finally get a large copper and already you aren't satisfied until you get into
the 1700s..............You are killing me, Doug!!!! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tymcmurray said:
You finally get a large copper and already you aren't satisfied until you get into
the 1700s..............You are killing me, Doug!!!! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Hey man, I can't sit there all day polishing my LC like you do with your caltrop, I have to move on to my next quest.
Come on 1700's!!!! :headbang:
Have a great week Ty,
Doug

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
garthbfan169 said:
WTG MM some very kool finds!! :notworthy: :thumbsup:

Thanks Garth,
I guess my LC took all the attention, but that ring was a big surprise too. ;D
-MM-

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congratulations to you on the LC, Doug!

What did I tell you just a week or so ago... I knew you'd find one soon!!!!

Any time you find one of those is a great day, far as I'm concerned.

-Chris

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rusted_Iron said:
Big congratulations to you on the LC, Doug!

What did I tell you just a week or so ago... I knew you'd find one soon!!!!

Any time you find one of those is a great day, far as I'm concerned.

-Chris

Thanks Chris. You were right! ;D
I was happy as a pig in mud when I FINALLY saw that lady in the hole. :thumbsup:
Hopefully there will be a few more out there. :dontknow:
Have a good one,
Doug

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on those great finds MM :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
That is one sweet LC

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B|lker said:
WHOOO HOOOOO

Nice finds ( AND I WON`T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT YOU HOVERING BEHIND ME WITH YOU SHOVEL) :thumbsup: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Bill,
I thought the same thing. You are off the hook now. ;D
-Doug-

dave-enc said:
wtg on the large cent doug, andd you probably will get your 1700's or large silver next year
hh
dave+bobbie

Thanks D&B. :icon_thumleft: 1700's would be a dream come true.
-Doug-

The Patriot said:
Some good variety there..congrats

Thanks Patriot. :icon_thumleft:
-MM-

Merf said:
Congrats on those great finds MM :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
That is one sweet LC

Thanks Merf.
It took a while but my coil finally made it's way over one. Like a needle in a haystack out in that pasture. ;D
-Doug-

elusion

Oct 11, 2005
SE, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Explorer II, Tesoro Tiger Shark
ModernMiner said:
kuger said:
Awesome!!I didnt read all of the replies but I wanted to tell you,water can kill Largies....I learned the hard way!Your whatsit strikes me as part of a shot gun head?

Thanks Kuger,
Since it is a common date I tried a bit of hot peroxide and a Q-tip on it, but not much improvement. It looks a bit better, but I'll leave it as-is now. :thumbsup:
-MM-

I usually leave the coins in the hot peroxide until the peroxide has cooled off. Then I rub the coin with a tiny bit of vaseline. It tends to bring out alot of the details. Nice coin!!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I get all the No-Date copper's Doug :icon_scratch:.....Congratulation's on your first LC buddy,I know you drank a cold one after that.Nice Job :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread