A Touch of Shpadoinkle, Got Gold!

M-Taliesin

Apr 22, 2009
Aurora, Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300/Sun Ray Probe, White's MXT Pro/Sun Ray Probe, White's Spectra V3i/Sun Ray Probe!
Howdy Folks!
Well, after an unusual day yesterday, I felt it was good to get back to my stride and
hunt up some gold for today. And it was a long time in coming this time around.

I started out at a tot lot next to a Catholic Church, and found a medal that says:
"Light of Christ" on it. Found a pocket spill of 4 quarters 2 dimes and 2 nickels.
Figured I was off on a fast start.

Hunted several locations with a few coins here or there. It was my last stop that
made my day worthwhile. There is a large tot lot on the south side of a large
school up north, and I hunted that and found a silver looking chain. It ain't
silver, I discovered upon returning home. Got a magnet close to the chain and
it practially jumped onto the magnet. Still, nice looking find.

Decided I wanted to move on to another school, but recalled a smaller tot lot
on the north side of this same school where I got the silverish chain. Decided
to check it out, being as I was already in the vicinity. So, pulling around to the
north side, I got out my MXT and started in on it. I was nearly finished when I
got a strong 10 VDI. Probed down and found a nice 10k gold bracelet. Most of
the chain was deeper than the faceplate, and the faceplate was buried on its side.
So my first view of the bracelet was not front on, but a thin little curved structure
that I figured to be a hair clamp or something. Once I pried the plug out, I found
it was indeed a bracelet, and a nice one too. Even with my eyesight, I could clearly
see the 10k stamped into the clasp.

Got home and had another thanksgiving dinner that couldn't be beat and set the
scale on the table to weigh my gold item of the day. It came in at 10.1 grams.
Not too shabby for a 5 hour hunt.

Oh, and at the last stop that I finally made, I got maybe 20 cents!!! To think I nearly
left that small tot lot at the previous school to go elsewhere for 20 cents!!! Glad I
decided to hit that little tot lot before moving on, or that gold would end up with
somebody else!!

My take for the day:
12 Quarters = $3.00
12 Nickels = $0.60
19 Dimes = $1.90
27 Pennies = $0.27
Total = $5.77
Coin Count = 70 coins.

Thanks for Lookin'
Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Attachments

• IMG_0216.JPG
    IMG_0216.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_0217.JPG
    IMG_0217.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_0218.JPG
    IMG_0218.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_0219.JPG
    IMG_0219.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 518
  • IMG_0222.JPG
    IMG_0222.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_0225.JPG
    IMG_0225.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 516
Upvote 0

Evan/tn

Jul 7, 2009
Detector(s) used
spectra V3,MXT
way ta go mel you gold magnet you!!!
sure is a sweet gold bracelet :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work... Where do you keep your MXT dialed on the disc? I assume with a 10 VDI that you keep Disc pretty low, in the foil range?
I keep mine set to just below the nickel notch, and have found two gold rings and one small 10k charm (that showed as foil), but if I set it too low, there is just too much garbage at the spots I usually search and even with the DD coil, I cannot tell where one object ends and the other begins, so I cant keep the disc much below nickel range...
Several of the places I hunt HAVE to have jewelry in them, like the soccer fields. A baseball park I hunt locally has one of three fields where a lady told me she lost two rings (wedding set and another gold ring) out of her pocket. I scoured every inch of that field over 3 trips and could not find them. I dug every pop tab that was 3" or less, as I knew her rings could not be any deeper than that in a few days, and nada...
Hope you dont mind me asking about your settings...

Lastly, is it just me, or is the world plum full of OCD wacko's?? I can kinda see the old beavertail pull tabs being tossed, as they came off the can when you opened them... But why the hell do people take off the new style tabs? I, for the life of me, cannot figure that one out, and I am really getting sick of digging them up! I dont mind a few, but my lord, people work them off and toss them in numbers that just dont make sense.. I can honestly say I have NEVER in my life tossed one, even the old style would just go into my can.. People are really strange.. And honestly, pigs.. Rant over..

norcalrockhunter

Jul 21, 2006
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Way to go Mel
We hit a school today and I made it about half the way across the feild, so there is still half that field, lots of Clad and one broken bracelet but no gold,
I'm going to need some schooling on the gold thing, I got the coin thing down but the gold has eluded me so far

OP
OP
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

Apr 22, 2009
Aurora, Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300/Sun Ray Probe, White's MXT Pro/Sun Ray Probe, White's Spectra V3i/Sun Ray Probe!
norcalrockhunter said:
I'm going to need some schooling on the gold thing, I got the coin thing down but the gold has eluded me so far

Howdy Pardner!
Tot-lots = gold.
Foil signals is where gold hides.
Hunt them tot lots, uncover every hit on a foil item, and you can't miss!

Don't make me hafta come out there and get it all for myself!!!! LOL!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Silver Surfer said:
Lastly, is it just me, or is the world plum full of OCD wacko's?? I can kinda see the old beavertail pull tabs being tossed, as they came off the can when you opened them... But why the hell do people take off the new style tabs? I, for the life of me, cannot figure that one out, and I am really getting sick of digging them up! I dont mind a few, but my lord, people work them off and toss them in numbers that just dont make sense.. I can honestly say I have NEVER in my life tossed one, even the old style would just go into my can.. People are really strange.. And honestly, pigs.. Rant over..

My brother in law does this. Claims it helps his beer flow out of the can better. Never tried it myself, beer is much better in bottles :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

Apr 22, 2009
Aurora, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Silver Surfer said:
Nice work... Where do you keep your MXT dialed on the disc? I assume with a 10 VDI that you keep Disc pretty low, in the foil range?
<Snip>
Hope you dont mind me asking about your settings...

Howdy Pardner!
Well, that's a good question. My gain sits right at high 9, and my discrimination rides
at a point about dead center between 2 and 3. If you are running the nickel mark, you
won't likely get much gold unless it is a fairly large item. The bracelet I found today was
a fairly large item, contrasted with some of the gold I find, and rang in a solid 10 on the
VDI. A thin gold chain won't show up, that I know of, if you are up in the nickel range.

That, of course, brings about the next obvious question. What about all them pulltabs.
Pull tabs lurk in the nickel range. So if you are riding the nickel setting, you are gonna
see more pulltabs than average, I suspect. Pulltabs usually run from around 22 VDi to
up around 36. Whenever I pull a VDI in that range, I am pretty well able to figure it
as a pulltab before I ever see it. Seldom am I wrong. A nickel, with my settings, will
hit pretty solid at 19 or 20, maybe a rare 21. But if it goes above that, you can just
about bet your best Lesche it will be a pulltab.

That being said, you have your choice of digging that target. In the case of gold, I
probably wouldn't bother. Gold tends to hide in the foil range for smaller pieces like
rings. That means a VDI from about -1 to about 10 or so. Larger pieces can run up
into the 50s, but as mentioned before, that bracelet I found today hit at 10 VDI with
my settings.

Gold items take a bit of getting accustomed to finding. If you get a solid sounding
hit, but it is in the foil range anywhere, you are unlikely to find a pulltab. More likely
to find a foil target. And I say frequently here on the forum, I might dig a hundred
foil targets to get that one gold item. I am not content to simply figure the foil target
is actually foil. I want visual confirmation. So I check them all. A gold chain, depending
on weight, might chatter just a bit rather than giving a solid signal. Still, it will lurk in
the foil range. That's been my experience.

If the area is as trashy as you indicate, my next suggestion would be to try a 4x6
shooter coil. I got one awhile back, but have only relied on it twice now. My 6x10
does a fantastic job of target separation, and I can ferret out a good signal with
other trash in the immediate vicinity with alarming accuracy. That just comes with
practice. My best suggestion is to try the 6x10 and practice, practice and once you
think you've got it mastered, practice some more.

Relative to that, I have a 6x10 V Nulled coil coming from White's that I will keep on
my Sv3 all the time. The 6x10 I already have isn't V-nulled, so it will stay on the MXT.
I only switch to the 4x6 when the trash is so prolific, nothing else will do.

Silver Surfer said:
Lastly, is it just me, or is the world plum full of OCD wacko's??
<Snip>
People are really strange.. And honestly, pigs.. Rant over..

Yes, but how do you really feel!?!?
I know what you mean. The careless disposal of litter is a really annoying thing for
all detector folks, and I suspect that it has been an issue since the first pulltab was
found by the first detectorist. Foil, pulltabs, bottlecaps, all littering the ground by
folks who have no regard for the planet, their fellow citizens or even their own family.
After all, those parks are where their own kids play too!
And I personally resent all that trash. After all, I worship the ground you walk on,
and am deeply offended to find it trashed out.

But in answer to your question, all I can say is....
Wouldn't you hate to spend an evening in their home? If they litter the environment
like that, what sort of carelessness does that convey to their living quarters?

And yes, there are a whole bunch of people walking around who'd be better suited
to a barnyard than a residential neighborhood.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice Taliesin, thank you so much!
I will try it and maybe with practice will be able to report better success!
Sorry for the long rant about the pop-tab ilk, but litter has gotten so out of hand.

HH to you!

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread