Oxen shoes a full set. Another pony express find !!!

dirt diggler

Mar 18, 2009
Stafford VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
These were found at a pony express stop in WV. Over the weekend .All in one hole I dug 8 oxen shoes 4 #3 and 4 smaller ones I assume to be for the front hoofs.Since I found all of them with no nails and a visable 3 on 4 of them I can only think that someone may have ordered them an never came to pick them up since this was a known pony express stop . I gave one set to my buddies kid who now is in to relic hunting since these are a rare find to find as a set let alone all 8 of them .Thank you for lookin . Enjoy !!!!

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 4,175
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,130
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,166
Upvote 0

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool finds, and you're right about oxen shoes being scarce. I like your scenerio of how they might have been lost in "new' condition also. :icon_thumleft:

Here I thought that they were broken and that's why I would chuck them to the side. Looking at your post, it now makes sense.
O.K. everyone can laugh at this Prairie boy who lives in the land of major ox cart trails. :tongue3:
Thank you very much for posting this. I have learned something that I should have known already.
Dave.

S

stefen

If you can end each day by learning something new, you have had a successful day.

Here are two oxen, common yesteryear, uncommon today...A part of the Blue Ox Millworks, Eureka, CA"

Babe and Blue are Belgian Blue oxen trained to work together in yoke. Now fully grown, they weigh 2,400 lbs. each and stand well over 5 feet tall. Thank goodness they are gentle giants! These two are the cornerpiece of a full collection of animals, including horses, geese, birds, cats, and the friendliest dogs you will ever meet.

Attachments

• EricAndOxen.jpg
    EricAndOxen.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 2,043
  • EricAndOxen.jpg
    EricAndOxen.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,744

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found probably a hundred ox shoes and I dont think I can say I have ever found a set or even a "new", one?Great finds!!!

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have known this too, but didn't. That's okay, because I save pretty much everything anyhow. ;D

Are all ox shoes made in two pieces like that? I think I have found one-piece ones, because they look much to thick to be for horses.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes oxen all have split hooves :thumbsup:

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
Yes oxen all have split hooves :thumbsup:

We don't see oxen much around here anymore, so I wouldn't know, but I guess the heavy "ox shoes" I've been finding were for draft horses? That would make sense, I guess. They are definitely a lot bigger and coarser than the typical riding horse shoes.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch:You kind of lost me?Draft horses hooves arent split?Are your horse shoes on steroids?If so probably yes,draft horses.I find many of my ox shoes on the freighter roads,some wagons were pulled by oxen and some by BIG horses,usually 24 or more animals per wagon,so you can imagine the "hardware" laying around.Some of the horse shoes are unbelievably huge!I cant say I have seen to many oxen myself!!!! :thumbsup:

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dr. Scholls doesn't have a thing on you! Congrats! Breezie

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Great finds, when I find oxen shoes, I often wonder what it was like back in the day. I can assure they were not as lazy as our society, LOL. ;D

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oxen fell out of favor in this area by the early 1800s. The only ox shoe I have ever found was on a Very Early site here. Found lots of horse shoes though.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen those before. Very cool. Thanks for posting.
-MM-

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds considering they are rare in your parts, in my parts, I have dug hundreds of them and usually toss them in the ditch. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread