Awesome Button. War of 1812 Officers Infantry!!!! 22mil

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It started off a very cool morning in The Mountains of NC.
I ventured off in my ford escape in search of a new site to detect. I had read of an 1800's skirmish not too far away so, I began my quest. The sky was gray and the wind topped out at 30 mph at times and, I had to cross through a flooded field through the infamous, unforgiving briars that had taken some of my blood in the past. I began detecting, walking in a zig-zag type of grid in full metal and cranked up as high as the etrac would allow. While detecting I looked around trying to get a feel of the landscape thinking "OK, If I had to camp around here, where would I Pitch a tent or dwell for a spell?" In the distance I saw a piece of ground that seemed a bit higher and, to me, looked like a good spot to explore. I continued my sweep and unorganized grid approach until, finally! a high pitched solid tone. I thought to myself, " I've got to dig this" The tone had my attention. I carefully began to cut the plug in the rooty forest floor. I overturned my plug and I could not believe it, An an 1820 large cent. (small numbers) The 1820 variety had 3 different strikes) Sweet! I covered the hole with the plug that I had overturned, stood up, and I took a look around to see what would be the best way to attack this. I slowed my approach and started in my turtle or "grandpa" mode, slowly swinging the coil making sure to overlap each swing as to not miss any ground. Anticipating, what the next tone was going to be when all of a sudden, another! This time a lower, solid tone not too deep from under the blanket of burnt orange oak leaves. An 1800's Civilian coat button...Yes! I knew I was close to something. I continued plucking away finding more older civilian garment buttons pewter pieces, broken pewter utensils, numerous lead pieces and shell casings. I was having a blast! I ended up with three large coppers that day.1820, 1825, and a 1845. A barber dime, buffalo nickle and most amazingly, a rare war of 1812 22mil. Infantry officers button!!!! Yessss. :sunny:, I just can't wait to go back.. Mike

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,156
  • DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 1,154
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,142
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Awesome Button!

Way to go Mike !!!!!!! What a great story and hunt.It looks like you had a blast. Those coppers and button are very fine sir. You Rock! Great Great Hunt.....
Wow
TnMountains

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Awesome Button War of 1812 Officers Infantry!!!!

Do I see three big pennies?? and look at that collection of relics!!!!

When can I come over and detect?

Mike, you hit it good on that site. I want more pics. :icon_thumleft:

Congrats on that 1812 button, as well!!!

You made up for my slow week, and then some.

-Chris

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola

Man What a day. WTG on the button. I love that early stuff

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Mike,

What a day! You trusted your instincts...it seems that we develop a sixth sense to find good sites over time.

That button is awesome, and any day that you find three large coppers is a great day!

I can't wait to see more from the site!

Neil

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You had a heck of a hunt Mike!!!Congrats on that awesome button too!!! :notworthy:

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Awesome Button War of 1812 Officers Infantry!!!! 22mil

TnMountains said:
Way to go Mike !!!!!!! What a great story and hunt.It looks like you had a blast. Those coppers and button are very fine sir. You Rock! Great Great Hunt.....
Wow
TnMountains
Thanks Randy! I thought I had seen something on that button in the field but, I didn't want to rub it or any thing. I got home home and asked Maggie "Do you see an eagle on this button" She said she did and that's when I got a little excited and gently removed the clay. ;D

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Awesome Button War of 1812 Officers Infantry!!!! 22mil

WooooooooHoooooo Neighbor! I LOVE the button! Congratulations! What a great day you had. :headbang: Breezie

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now there's what I'm talking about.... the good keeper and a pile of other odds and ends for good measure. I'm ok at finding the pile but the buttons continue to hide fairly well. One off your list!

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great day Mike! I love the button!!! :hello2: and the relics :hello2:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most excellent relics Mike. :hello2: Congrats on that 1812 button. You've got some great detecting spots over there. :icon_thumleft:
What is that piece with the engraving in it on the far right below the winder? Utensil handle or lock key hole cover? What does it say? :icon_scratch:

Great hunt,
Doug

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Most excellent relics Mike. :hello2: Congrats on that 1812 button. You've got some great detecting spots over there. :icon_thumleft:
What is that piece with the engraving in it on the far right below the winder? Utensil handle or lock key hole cover? What does it say? :icon_scratch: Thanks Dougie! It's a Victorian lock hole cover...Good call..When you're ready to dig, give me a hollar...Mike

Great hunt,
Doug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread