187 Year Old Coin ~ My Oldest To Date

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my oldest coin today at my old fort site, somewhere in Illinois...
This is the fourth one that has been taken from this field at only 3" deep.

I knew there were more coins in the field and I was really hoping for some old silver.
It rang up on my E-Trac as a 12-46 which might indicate silver, but I have been fooled before.

I would have provided video on this but it was 24 degrees and I really thought I was going to be digging another aluminum can, but to my surprise out pops an 1822 Large Cent.

This is my second taken from this field and I have probably made about 15 trips out there and the pickings are always slim to nothing, but when you find something it is usually good.

I did not totally clean it off and left the patina on the coin, but you can still make out the 1822 very clearly along with the full Liberty wording.

I wish I could have taken better close up, but that is the best I could manage with my camera.

Enjoy!!!
Rob ~ Out

Large Cent 1822.jpg

Large Cent 1822 Reverse.jpg

Upvote 0

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
WaSaBi said:
I found my oldest coin today at my old fort site, somewhere in Illinois...
What? You didn't know where you were?....... :icon_scratch:............. :sign13:............OH!! I get it. :laughing9:

I was showing off my 1/2 cent to a buddy the other day and he asked me where I found it. I told him "In the ground". I hope I didn't say too much.

Nice Find!! :icon_thumleft:
Happy Hunting!!! :hello:
Cm2db

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beauty! Congrats on a great find, Rob. Sounds like a field that's been plowed at some point? Never know what'll turn up. The plows drag stuff around pretty far, but in a way it's nice, because the good stuff could be just 1 inch deep.

HH
Chris

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW ROB CONGRATS ON THE LARGE CENT, I STILL NEED JUST ONE! :hello:

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
!!!!!

Great Large cent A nice old 1 !! I love big old copper!!!! .Congrads!! MaineRelic

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
If anybody wants to drop me a few bucks I can tell you the exact location of the early post colonial fort in Illinois. Rob has called me several times from this field bragging about his nice finds, little did he know about my locator app. on my phone. LOL

OP
OP
Wasabi

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WaSaBi said:
lostlake88 said:
If anybody wants to drop me a few bucks I can tell you the exact location of the early post colonial fort in Illinois. Rob has called me several times from this field bragging about his nice finds, little did he know about my locator app. on my phone. LOL

Thanks to all your replies.

I can't believe my friend would sell me out!

I know he wouldn't do it, ...or would he for the right price???

LOL... Brett you are too funny. I need to get your phone app so I can track you down and all those great Indian Heads you have been digging up.

Rob

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Awesome find Rob. I would keep going back to that spot. You have a very good chance of finding some really OLD silver there I suspect. You beat me by 11 years. Way to go!!

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Explorer II with 10x12 SEF
Sweet coin, Rob. I still can't believe it was you first target dug....what did it take 4 minutes to find?
Thanks for bringing me out to "The Fort" wish I could of had some luck but it's all worth while when you at least get to see someone dig a coin that old. It made the 24 degrees feel like 30 for about 5 minutes.
Congrats again on you oldest coin!!!!

Makton

OP
OP
Wasabi

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
makton said:
Sweet coin, Rob. I still can't believe it was you first target dug....what did it take 4 minutes to find?
Thanks for bringing me out to "The Fort" wish I could of had some luck but it's all worth while when you at least get to see someone dig a coin that old. It made the 24 degrees feel like 30 for about 5 minutes.
Congrats again on you oldest coin!!!!

Makton

Hey Todd,
We will take another trip out there again. I need to take your advice and if I find something that good that early in the day to just pack up and go home.
LOL. Good advice.

Next time we will find some old silvers out there, they have to still be in the ground.
Rob

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If the research is conducted, the coppers will flow. :icon_thumleft:

Kirk

Top Member Reactions