Jimmie Allen, Chinese cache, Victorian jewelery, and coins too

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Haven't been getting out as much as I'd like to lately, but still managed to find a few goodies on the last few hunts.

Victorian gold plated cuff link, my first Chinese cache coin, SF trolley token, Cub Scout pin, Victorian sterling silver stick pin (minus the pin), Victorian copper ring (has a fancy design around the side), and a tiny sterling silver sun charm:

misc.jpg

1930's Jimmey Allen "Richfield Hi-Octane Flying Cadet" wings:

Wings.jpg

Boatload of wheatbacks (their killing my wheat to silver ratio :protest: ):

wheatbacks.jpg

A few firsts for me - my first Liberty nickel (1899), and my first U.S. occupation Philippines coin (thought it was a token when I first found it, but it's a 5 Centavos, tumbled clean). I tumbled the Liberty and Buffalo nickels to try to clean them up, they were really rough when dug. The Buffalo came out decent, not sure why they got the orange'ish tint to them, I didn't mix them with copper or clad and they were the first in a new tumbler jar :icon_scratch: Found the 1906 Barber dime at a stingy SF demo site I hit with a couple of friends, one managed to find an 1862 British large cent. The Jefferson nickel is a 1943P silver war nickel, come to think of it, does that nickel trio qualify as a nickle trifecta, or throw in the U.S./Philippines 5 Centavos nickel and it's a grand slam :happy1:

coins.jpg

That's about it, hoping to find some oldies this weekend :whip2:

hh,
Brian

Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, good hunting !! :o 8) :icon_thumleft: :headbang: :hello2:

Nickles turn Red after contacting water after being dug lots of times. :read2: Not sure why? :dontknow: :icon_scratch: That's why I stopped using water on my Nickles. I just Dry brush them now, keeps the nickle look or that nice gray/green patina that way. :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Keep @ it and HH!! :D ;D

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Looks like you've been doing great Brian! Congrats on the nickel grand slam. :thumbsup:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are awesome finds !! MaineRelic.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice 1662 - 1722 Chinese coin. I find a bunch of Chinese coins here in S. KOrea, but have only found 1 or 2 of that particular
ruler's coins......maybe he sent them all to the U.S. :icon_sunny:
Don't know what the mint mark is.....if you'll show the other side, I'll i.d. it for you.....a few nice semi-rare coins made by that
ruler. And, a good bunch of other finds.

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks everyone.

Mackaydon appreciate the info on the Jimmy Allen wings :thumbsup:

hikeinmts here's a photo of the reverse of the cache coin mint marks:

cachecoinback.jpg

hikeinmts I'm just curious, do you any idea as to it's value when it was in circulation compared to other countries like England, Spain or the U.S. :icon_scratch:

Thanks for your help

hh,
Brian

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hikeinmts said:
Nice 1662 - 1722 Chinese coin. I find a bunch of Chinese coins here in S. KOrea, but have only found 1 or 2 of that particular
ruler's coins......maybe he sent them all to the U.S. :icon_sunny:
Don't know what the mint mark is.....if you'll show the other side, I'll i.d. it for you.....a few nice semi-rare coins made by that
ruler. And, a good bunch of other finds.
Hike,the Chinese coin I.D. God!!!!Thanks,and great finds Brian

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. Sorry to be getting back with you a little late. Just got off work here.
The reverse of the Chinese coin is the common style. The mint is the most common, The Board of Revenue Mint.
It is the oldest style for this king, dating 1662 - 1683. BUT
on the front of the coin, the right character, is quite unique.....first one of its type I have seen.
And, for this king, it is not even listed. That right character is the "t'ong" character. If you look at that one particular
character, and look closest to the square hole, you will see a long line, connected to the center hole by a bar, and then
one character at the top of the line. Usually this character has 2 or 3 disconnected smaller bars inbetween the long
line and the middle square hole. This is the first - the only - one that I have seen that is connected with the center
hole. That in itself doesn't make it worth a lot......There were millions of the darned things made. So, my knowledge of
them is quite limited. but, I have looked in my most trusted reference, Cast Chinese Coins, by David Hartill. It is the Bible
of Chinese coins right now. And, this type IS NOT LISTED/PICTURED in this reference. If you can get this to a good quality
Oriental expert in holed coins, perhaps you have a very, very good coin. For sure, it is old. Maybe, very valuable, to boot.
Good find. Hope this helps a little. Find some more, buddy. hikeinmts.

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hi,

Thanks so much for looking at this, your knowledge of antique Chinese coins is amazing. I don't live too far from San Francisco, which has the largest China town in the U.S., and probably has Chinese collectible coin shops, I'll see if I can find a shop there for a look. It would be a hoot if it turned out to be a valuable coin, although I wouldn't sell it.

Did they continue to use these coins into the 1800's as legal tender in China? Given the location of the find, this was most likely an 1860's -1890's drop.

When I first dug this I actually thought I had my first large cent, and then I flicked the dirt off and the square hole in the center revealed itself, then I knew I'd actually dug my first old Chinese coin.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help :thumbsup:
Happy hunting,
Brian

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian,your right Hike is an expert and a first class guy!He has I.D.ed a few for me....even had a couple of rare ones.You know its odd,a huge flow of Chinese came to Calif during the gold rush and the rarer of the Chinese coins are the 1850 ish ones!!! :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hi Kuger,

I really appreciate the help, really makes the find that much more exciting (OK, maybe not as exciting as Ironmans :blob8:
I found this up North in Lake County where my parents live, and I know there was a large Chinese population there working the quicksilver and borax mines after the gold rush, but where I found this was an odd place. I've been trying to find the Chinese camp where the borax mines were, but thus far it's alluded me, but I'm determined to find it one of these days. Hopefully more research will guide the way.

hh,
Brian

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cal_Cobra said:
Hi Kuger,

I really appreciate the help, really makes the find that much more exciting (OK, maybe not as exciting as Ironmans :blob8:
I found this up North in Lake County where my parents live, and I know there was a large Chinese population there working the quicksilver and borax mines after the gold rush, but where I found this was an odd place. I've been trying to find the Chinese camp where the borax mines were, but thus far it's alluded me, but I'm determined to find it one of these days. Hopefully more research will guide the way.

hh,
Brian
To many those Chinese coins dont mean a whole lot,many areas produce them on a regular basis,including many of the places I hunt,but I cant get enough of them,I love digging them,and am really "into",the whole Chinese lore,they were very industrious and many atrocities were carried out against them that goes widely unrecognized.Keep me posted on your research and endeavor to locate that camp.Where you find Opium tins you are usually close.Also they were seldomly allowed to stay within close proximity to the "rest",of the camp so look at the outlying areas. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread