Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those of you who have been on the forum for a while will remember I did some hunting at this site last spring and didn't find much of anything.? It was opened in 1909 and attracted crowds from a hundred mile area at one time.? All but the lake and a small parcel of ground was turned into a housing addition several years ago.? Anyway the foundation of the old bath house still remains and I was running my ACE250 along the edge of the foundatin when I got a solid hit.? I? dug down 6" expecting rusted iron and came up with what looks like a solid brass saddle cinch. (Picture posted under What Is It).? The area where it was found would have been beneath the wooden deck of a pier leading out to the swimming diving area. How it got there?? Anyway,? when I first hunted this area I didn't have much experience so as I was only there less than an hour this trip I think it bears going back over.? I am working on getting permission to hunt the shallow water along the old simming beach.? The little park and lake now belongs to the City and is posted no swimming or wading.? I'm pretty sure I will be exempt by working with the curator of the City museum who is an old high school classmate.?This photo was taken in the 1920s of the main entrance. Monty

Attachments

• Sand Springs Park entrance.jpg
    Sand Springs Park entrance.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 639
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry so big! This is the beach diving area taken in about 1935.? It was probably taken from the bath house where I found the saddle cinch. The second pic is part of the beach itself taken in 1939. The woman's two piece bathing suit was pretty daring for the time and I'll bet it caused quite a stir! Monty

Attachments

• Resize of Sand Springs Lake 2.jpg
    Resize of Sand Springs Lake 2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 627
  • Resize of Sand Springs Lake 3.jpg
    Resize of Sand Springs Lake 3.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 593

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty, I enjoyed the story and the pics. Good Luck at this site and keep us posted.

Huntin' 59er

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some good hunting Monty. You know people had to of lost some cool stuff around the area of that beach.

Good luck keep us posted

M

mchamby

Looks like a great place to use a water detector, hopefully your friend will be able to give you permission and you find a little bling bling. :D
Mchamby

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pictures!

Good luck Monty!!

;)

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Good story and the site definitely has potential.

I know of a similar site in Michigan but I'll bet that sucker has been hunted so many times they probably have a permanent vendor on site selling batteries.

HH

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This site has not been water searched. The City has allowed no one in there and it was fenced with a 10' fence and locked up tight for years until the housing addition went in and the City rebuilt the remaining part of the park. It does have a lot of backfill. That's what I think is causing trouble finding anything as the bling on shore is probably two feet down. I plan to hunt and rehunt around the old bath/boathouse at my leisure until I find out about permission to hunt the water.

R

rvbvetter

Looks like a lot of potential. From where the diving platform is located, it looks like once in the water it gets deep fast. Be careful and good luck. HH

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
there should be some great old coins in that water! you are probably right about the good stuff being two feet deep on land. ill bet it is still there though. good luck hunting this place. i cant wait to hear about what you come up with. i think you are on to a winner with this one! ;)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Does look promising Monty..keep us posted.good luck and HH

Z

ZumbroKid

Time will tell what this spot holds. ;) As old as it is, might be a gold coin there.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice site, must be a few nice finds there. Good luck and HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread