Upvote 0

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The prayer on the back is the Sh'ma " Hear O Isreal the lord your god, the lord is one "

Nice find,

Tek

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
teklord said:
The prayer on the back is the Sh'ma " Hear O Isreal the lord your god, the lord is one "

Nice find,

Tek

Very Impressive, Tek. I thought for sure I was going to be the first on this one, but you beat me to it!

What is really interesting about this pendant is that before World War II there were over 110 synagogues and 10 yeshivas in Vilnius. Before World War II, Vilnius (then Wilno in Second Polish Republic) had a Jewish community of nearly 100,000, about 45% of the city's total. About 4,000 Jews were counted in Lithuania during the 2005 census.

My best guess is that this is WWII era or earlier. Stasys, would you consider trading one of my finds for this pendant?

Send me a private message if you are interested!

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Stasys: Very nice find! Congrats! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

I think this has a lot of historic significance.

I was born close to Mariampole and would love to detect there.

HH Joe

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very very nice piece of Jewish history........oh, if it could only talk.....but then we might all be horrified at the story it would tell.
GREAT FIND!!! :thumbsup:

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
That would be a piece I'd want to keep forever. It has a special significance and carries an important piece of history with it.

I'd be very proud to have found it. More than all the coins.

The first word on the back means in English, "Listen or Hear", something our species seems to have a problem learning to do.

OP
OP
stasys

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
hello everybody. I am more or less shure that this pendat is not conected to ww two horrors. it was found in park with lots of russian empire koppeks around end 19th century when around half population in Vilnius was jews

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
stasys said:
hello everybody. I am more or less shure that this pendat is not conected to ww two horrors. it was found in park with lots of russian empire koppeks around end 19th century when around half population in Vilnius was jews

The lost Jewish civilization in your area, and all others, of course, is still connected and remembered when they were alive, even generations before the Holocaust. The Holocaust was the end, and pieces from this horrible moment reminds us of their tragic demise. Your piece reminds me of the days when they laughed, raised children, shared dinners, before the mass murders.

Yours is still a special piece of history, as most was destroyed or stolen, along with their community.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread