Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well didn't post my finds with Hans and the Iron Bros last time as there wasn't a lot to take pictures of except for the usual musketballs and unreadable coins. Well cleaned this one up and I noticed that there was a small shield on the bottom middle and on the other side has an oval shape inside the coin...I have no clue but I imagine someone here will put a name to it pretty fast... Roughly the same size as the a Geo II and would be around the same age.
thanks

Attachments

• Shield.jpg
    Shield.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 1,344
  • shield2.jpg
    shield2.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 1,247
Upvote 0

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to guess a Condor token...should be able to ID it...

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
neat find.

don't know anything about anything but I do see some letters (may have gotten some of them wrong)
You may want to put this in the WII forum

Attachments

• shield2.jpg
    shield2.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 1,185
OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BobinSouthVA said:
neat find.

don't know anything about anything but I do see some letters (may have gotten some of them wrong)
You may want to put this in the WII forum

Great eye Bob...didn't see that

thanks

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
I'm going to guess a Condor token...should be able to ID it...

I'd place a good bet on it, and one just as good I've had the same coin in my hand at one point. The problem is I always remember the design, but not the location it was from. I found a similiar oval design (which few have) on a halfpenny from Dundee so I would give this one a good chance at also being a Scottish trade token. This Winter I'm going to finally buy a reference book for these.

Well, knowing the luck you & friends are having it's probably so rare that it is not in Charlton Colonial tokens. I checked the Red book also with no luck. I have the last 500 years of coins in the Krause's books but that is a big job. Any hints as where to look? Other than America, who else uses a shield? South America, Spanish colonies, Belgium? I'll poke around some more.
Looks interesting!
Dave.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddyhandz said:
Well, knowing the luck you & friends are having it's probably so rare that it is not in Charlton Colonial tokens. I checked the Red book also with no luck. I have the last 500 years of coins in the Krause's books but that is a big job. Any hints as where to look? Other than America, who else uses a shield? South America, Spanish colonies, Belgium? I'll poke around some more.
Looks interesting!
Dave.

Try finding a book on late 18th century trade tokens (1790s) and you'll find it. (Not in any coin Krause)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
http://www.coinsandstamps.com/foreigncoins/Condor Tokens/18 Ireland/bct932.htm

1800 Wexford Enniscorthy Halfpenny Condor Token (Ireland)

OBV: A castle by the sea, having a gateway with portcullis with 6 bars.
PAYABLE AT THE BANK OF R. W. ENNISCORTHY.

REV: A monogram RW upon a shield suspended from the branch of a tree. A.D. 1800

:wink:

Cool, have you ever found one? It is one that I haven't owned, but I believe a friend found one here several years ago. There's just something about the design that stuck in my mind... reminds me of holloween, spooky tree. If it wasn't for that I would never remember his find.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:

Cool, have you ever found one? It is one that I haven't owned, but I believe a friend found one here several years ago. There's just something about the design that stuck in my mind... reminds me of holloween, spooky tree. If it wasn't for that I would never remember his find.

No. I wasn't going to tell you my magical powers, but hay!

Used my expensive 500 page token but, looked at every picture & got to the end in the Ireland section at about 470ish & found it. I was thinking at the time, its not British, I bet its Canadian & I'm wasting my time :D

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:

Used my expensive 500 page token but, looked at every picture & got to the end in the Ireland section at about 470ish & found it. I was thinking at the time, its not British, I bet its Canadian & I'm wasting my time :D
:hello:

Send me the name of that book will you :thumbsup:...Fantastic find by the way :headbang:

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:

Send me the name of that book will you :thumbsup:...Fantastic find by the way :headbang:

SS

Its 2 1/4 inch thick book :o I think it was about £125 or £90, can't remember :icon_scratch:

The Provincial Token - Coinage of the 18th Century
Dalton & Hamer
1910-1918
Updated
Davisson

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:

I knew it would be in the book being very sure I had seen it before and definitely was not Canadian. Now seeing what it is I know I would have never come up the ID searching online.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:

I knew it would be in the book being very sure I had seen it before and definitely was not Canadian. Now seeing what it is I know I would have never come up the ID searching online.

Near on impossible I would have said. Very little clues & a very unusual location.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:

SS

Its 2 1/4 inch thick book :o I think it was about £125 or £90, can't remember :icon_scratch:

Dalton & Hamer
1910-1918
Updated
Davisson

I was going to ask you if it was the old book, or an updated version... just couldn't remember the name. About a year ago I was looking at them, and probably will again sometime soon. A little pricey but well worth it.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:

SS

Dalton & Hamer
1910-1918
Updated
Davisson
Cheers...on the pressy list that one :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:

Near on impossible I would have said. Very little clues & a very unusual location.

Other than the one found here I don't recall seeing one for sale, and I have looked through thousands of hp t tokens on the E. There no doubt have been a few, but I don't recall any.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:

Other than the one found here I don't recall seeing one for sale, and I have looked through thousands of hp t tokens on the E. There no doubt have been a few, but I don't recall any.
http://www.coinsandstamps.com/forei.../18 Ireland/british_condor_tokens IRELAND.htm
It is for sale on here, the link was just to the picture, its £35. This site looks a good one to bookmark :icon_thumright:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:

http://www.coinsandstamps.com/forei.../18 Ireland/british_condor_tokens IRELAND.htm
It is for sale on here, the link was just to the picture, its £35. This site looks a good one to bookmark :icon_thumright:

Go figure! I was at that site earlier looking for it... under the Scottish section! :-\

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread