The old store

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After a great sermon Sunday I went home and changed from my Sunday clothes to my digging clothes to enjoy a very mild and sunny North Carolina Mountain afternoon.
I knew I didn't have much time and normally, Sundays are to be spent with the family.But, was encouraged by my wonderful and gracious wife to go check it out.
I was given permission a while back to detect what was one an old store almost 200 years ago to supply the RR workers in the mountains the basic necessity's while building the historic Rail road system which eventually brought in the presidents and movie stars of the day to vacation.
After talking with the owners for a while I started the ritualistic golf like putting motion of my detector. Growing up with a family of golfers this swing of the detector is very similar how Grandpa taught me how to putt correctly.
With only an hour and half to detect I started right away in the front of the old White and Black Colonial looking homes small front yard. I immediately started getting solid tones. The finds were not as old as anticipated but, I assure you there down there..I began carefully extracting the .Mid 1800's Indian Heads, Wheat pennies one which is a 1910. A couple buttons etc... This can be tough sometimes when you are a plowed field and forest relic hunter. I managed well leaving no or very little evidence of my retrievals. I'm partial to the buckles, buttons and lead toys. You can tell a lot about what happened at a place by what you dig up. And, for me the best part of this detecting hobby is stepping back in time sort of speak finding things that make you wonder what the clothing, shoes looked like back then.Or, even who may of wore them. I showed our friends my finds and offered to them anything they liked. They insisted they be put in our museum for educating the kids. Thanks for looking...HHHH

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 1,382
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 1,380
Upvote 0

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice looking turn of the century finds

HH Jer

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some very nice finds. I am sure the kids will enjoy looking at them.....Matt

MarkinIa

Nov 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-505
Looks like to me you found some nice pieces of history. Keep hitting that place when ever you can.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
The one button looks like a mid1800's flower button. They are civilian but we dig a lot of those in civil war camps. The round buckle looks older too. Maybe early 1800s It might help to see the back of both if you want to post pics.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you posted the museum at the 4-H camp? I may have missed it but would enjoy seeing it. Thanks 4-H for all you do.Look forward to our late season hunt.
TnMtns

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,
Nice start there buddy. Is that a watch FOB with the chain attached to it?
I think that piece under the oval buckle in the first picture is a wizards hat, but you have it upside-down. :laughing9:
Congrats,
Doug
P.S. Where you wondering "who took the silver?" :dontknow:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mike.... you're the man. What great finds you have been recovering lately. I always look forward you seeing your posts.

Randy

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the Guyot suspender hardware. These were "the ones to wear" at the turn of the 20th c. Very popular...

guyot.jpg

DCMatt

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Astroturf background! It makes your artifacts really stand out! I think I will steal that idea if you don't mind.

I also really like your finds! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions