Dig O The Day, 1/5/06 - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Jul 2005
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Explorer II

Re: Dig O' The Day, 1/5/06

SWEET post!

Thanks for taking me along on the hunt (at least in spirit!)

w

http://www.idetectorist.com

Jan 2005
    South Georgia
    749 times

Thomasville is on hwy 84, about 30-40 minutes west of Valdosta. You'd take 82 west to Waycross, then pick up 84 west all the way to Thomasville. If you get the chance/inclination, come on over. I'll buy the grub .

Thanks for the info about iffy targets. I have had too many of the experiences you described. A faint but somewhat repeatable signal, but then I dig, get the signal, dig some more, etc... and all of a sudden, no signal at all. Not in the dirt pile or anywhere. I don't get many chances to go detecting, so after a couple of those episodes, I decide I'm only going to dig solid repeatable signals. If I had more time to detect, maybe I'd have a bit more patience and develop the knack it takes to decide when to dig or not. I guess you never know for sure, but I think I could increase my odds.

When you hunt with ID, how do you get a "crackly" signal? My detector either gives a signal or not. Sometimes it's short, or just a blip, but I don't think I ever got a crackly signal. Is that just in all-metal? The blips I get that aren't always repeatable on every swing are what I'm calling faint signals. When I get a signal like that, I can pinpoint in all metal mode. All metal even makes it sound like something is definitely there, but when I dig a hole and hit lava and still haven't found anything, I decide it's not there and fill the hole. I haven't done that very many times. I've passed over lots and lots of signals that were similar though. This happens a lot on the antebellum site I mentioned.

Thanks for the help, and great information!
    "A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them;
    the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences."
    - Proverbs 22:3

Jan 2006
    9 times

I loved this post followed with photos step by step of the story. It kept me interested and intrigued and wanted to finish it quickly. Congrats on the Indian Head pennies and it sounds like you savor ever minute of detecting.

finder of lost articles

Nov 2005
    Western New York
    1 times
    Banner Finds (1)

very nice post. good hunting

Tim
    Get out and dig

Mar 2003
    Eastern North Carolina
    28 times

Thanks for sharing and congrats on the finds . We look forward to seeing more of your finds
    hh
    dave+bobbie
    dave-enc

Darod

Hey,
    THanks for the really nice post! I read every word of it,....Fun

Nice finds!
    Where about's in Georgia did you say this was?

Rod

us
    Bucky

Dec 2005
    NY
    E Track, Fisher 6a
    170 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Great story I am glad you came to this site to tell us some of your detecting stories. I read many of yours at PCGS and was tempted to join that board but just never did. This is a wonderful site that I know you will enjoy. Welcome .. Jim

Aug 2005
    Florence S.C.
    2 times

great post ,keep it up.looking forward to your next.
    What you share with others,can be a treasure of a lifetime.

Yes.....very nice!

Thanks for sharing your experience!

lilsorel

I'm in the Golden Isles (Brunswick). I know of the city square you hunted. I haven't been there yet (long work hours) I just came down from NY in Sept. I've done some research and hunting in the area. Drop me an e-mail and maybe some weekend we can meet up.
    Lilsorel

us
    Jan 2006
    Golden Isles Of Georgia
    Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
    29 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Lilsorel, I live in Brunswick, as well, though not within the city limits anymore- I am out in the western part of Glynn County, almost to the Brantley County line. I work on St. Simons Island for the Sea Island Company.

I will try to touch base with you, but if you work long hours and are off on weekends, it may be difficult- I work weekends, usually.

I also have a small coin business on the side- a booth in the Antique Mall on Newcastle Street.

us
    Jan 2006
    Golden Isles Of Georgia
    Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
    29 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by cheese
    Thomasville is on hwy 84, about 30-40 minutes west of Valdosta.? You'd take 82 west to Waycross, then pick up 84 west all the way to Thomasville.? If you get the chance/inclination, come on over.? I'll buy the grub? .

Thanks for the info about iffy targets.? I have had too many of the experiences you described.? A faint but somewhat repeatable signal, but then I dig, get the signal, dig some more, etc... and all of a sudden, no signal at all.? Not in the dirt pile or anywhere.? I don't get many chances to go detecting, so after a couple of those episodes, I decide I'm only going to dig solid repeatable signals.? If I had more time to detect, maybe I'd have a bit more patience and develop the knack it takes to decide when to dig or not.? I guess you never know for sure, but I think I could increase my odds.

When you hunt with ID, how do you get a "crackly" signal?? My detector either gives a signal or not.? Sometimes it's short, or just a blip, but I don't think I ever got a crackly signal.? Is that just in all-metal?? The blips I get that aren't always repeatable on every swing are what I'm calling faint signals.? When I get a signal like that, I can pinpoint in all metal mode.? All metal even makes it sound like something is definitely there, but when I dig a hole and hit lava and still haven't found anything, I decide it's not there and fill the hole.? I haven't done that very many times.? I've passed over lots and lots of signals that were similar though.? This happens a lot on the antebellum site I mentioned.

Thanks for the help, and great information!
    Highway 82, huh? I live on Highway 82, but not that far out! You're a good ways over, ain'tcha? That's the far side of the state! I went to college in Valdosta, briefly.

You may not get crackling sounds in your audio. The blips you get might be "iffy" signals, and they might be false signals caused by having your sensitivity set too high. If I start getting a lot of false signals, I ease off a bit on the sensitivity. Your antebellum site might also have a lot of nails in the ground that have rusted for more than a century, just enough to create the "halo effect" in the ground, as previously discussed. My favorite old plantation site here is hell on rusty iron- not only nails, but lots of big rusty-crusties, too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links