lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig O' The Day, 1/5/06

Sunny, 73 degrees, under blue skies. Aah, the perfect day to go diggin'! Last time I went out was in August, at the height of the steamy humidity. Here in this corner of the Deep South, fall and winter are good times to be outdoors and summers are uncomfortable. I live for the cool weather.

Round one: relic hunting in the boonies, Crescent Farms area, McIntosh Co, GA.

This is what the site looked like in February of 2005. Except for the vegetation now growing a bit higher along the shoulders of the road, this picture could've been taken yesterday- same blue skies, same dirt, same trees, same spot.

viewfile.cfm

This is how we track down old homesites when relic hunting in Coastal Georgia. First we find "naked dirt" that's been bulldozed or cleared somehow. Then we walk the site and look for concentrations of oyster shell, in an area otherwise devoid of shell- it's usually a sign that people were there.

viewfile.cfm

Sometimes those clusters of shells can lead you to prehistoric Native American sites, too. The next thing to look for is pottery sherds or old glass. Sometimes you will find both prehistoric and antebellum pottery on the same spot- here in the low country, higher ground has always been good real estate, for thousands of years, so overlapping homesites or campsites are fairly common. In fact, I did find one small piece of plain earthenware Indian pottery on the site yesterday, but old porcelain and glass is what to look for if you're going to be detecting for metal relics. The Indians here didn't use much (if any) metal, and there's not much stone to speak of in our sandy, coastal soil. So white bits of shell and pottery tend to stand out well in the dirt, particularly after it's rained.

Though it's practically impossible to date plain white pottery sherds, pieces with a pattern can usually tell you how old your homesite is. This particular site has yielded much early 19th century pottery in the past, and some pieces that could date to the late 18th century.

viewfile.cfm

You can even tell when other relic hunters have been there before you. This old broad hoe was right on the surface, by the side of the road. Another detectorist had found it and left it there, since my last visit. These big old hoes are common finds on old plantation sites here- the slaves used them in the fields.

viewfile.cfm

I hunted the Crescent relic site and some of the sand roads up there for an hour or two, but the homesite indicated by the shells and pottery in the pictures above has long been picked over by lots of relic hunters with big searchcoils, so the pickins' are slim indeed, unless one wishes to hack into the underbrush, which is not my idea of fun.

Some folks do, though. My pal Billy is a more adventurous, bushwhacking type. He found a sweet 1820 dime on that site some time ago, so you can see why I keep going back, despite finding little.

viewfile.cfm

I did dig my first target of 2006 there- a rusty square nail that crumbled away in my hand. The roads through this area are used by modern hunters, so aluminum cans are a problem- I dug at least a dozen of them. One hot signal I thought was going to be a can proved to be a coin, though- it got my pulse rate up when I saw a big reddish-brown disc pop out of the dirt. It was only a 1967 clad quarter, though, stained brown by the soil, as they usually are.

I decided to switch modes from rural relic hunting to city park coinshooting, and to try my Shadow X2 with its bigger coil out in Halifax Square, so I drove back to Brunswick and got there in the late afternoon.

Round Two: coinshooting in the park, N side Halifax Square, Brunswick, GA.

The sun was getting lower in the sky. I dug several deep bullets and cartridge casings and pieces of buckshot- small targets. The small stuff and the deep stuff is mostly what's left after decades of detectorists working this place.

Live oak trees are evergreen. It seems like every other winter, we get a bumper crop of acorns. Sometimes they're a little uncomfortable to kneel on when you're digging. But dig I did. I'd gotten a faint, semi-crackly signal, decided it was too "iffy", gave it up and walked on. Then changed my mind and went back to dig it. Eight or nine inches down, my electronic pinpointing probe sounded off at the bottom of the hole. As I stirred the dirt, I saw a coin. Oh, yeah!

Here it is on the tip of my digging knife, seconds after it came out of the hole.

viewfile.cfm

An 1881 Indian cent! (Sorry for the wretched, out-of-focus pictures).

Many of the Indian cents I've found in this spot were deep, from the 1880's, and in fairly high grade. This one was deep and from the 1880's, but it had seen some circulation and probably would grade Good. So it may have been lost around the turn of the century.

viewfile.cfm

Not the most spectacular find, but it's certainly proof that there are other goodies sleeping deep beneath those overhunted hotspots. They are elusive game and it takes patience and concentration to bag one, but it's always a nice feeling. This is my 39th Indian cent and the 285th "keeper" coin in my "Digger's Diary" album.

I shot this picture looking west, after I dug the Indian cent. Note the crape myrtle tree on the right with the Spanish moss in it. If you look carefully in the shadows to the left, you will see my detector on the ground. I'm not sure what the spectral blue dot in the left foreground is- maybe a friendly spirit, pointing out buried treasure!

viewfile.cfm

This shot was taken facing north. Again, note the location of the crape myrtle tree and the old house. (Which I just got permission to hunt sometime soon).

viewfile.cfm

This shot was taken last February, facing in the same direction, when I dug a 1903 Indian in front of the crape myrtle tree. Unbeknownst to me at the time, I was almost standing on yesterday's 1881 Indian when I shot that picture almost a year ago. Last year's 1903 was shallower- it came up from about five and a half inches. It was obviously much higher grade when lost.

viewfile.cfm

That's four or five Indian cents, an old token, a button or two, and an 1877-S dime, all in the same section of the park. I'm sure more await, sleeping deep beneath the ground...

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Re: Dig O' The Day, 1/5/06

another great post!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Great find's,nice lookin' piece of real estate.Keep us posted on your future dig's.There's gotta be more.HH

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Wow, Mvan, Nice post. I love the pictures and the descriptions. Thanks.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia

Excellent post! An entertaining one too. If you ever want to hunt a little west, in Thomasville, give me a shout. I've got a few pre-civil war homes that I have permission to hunt, and they are virgin. I am not very experienced with detecting, and since I got my fisher quicksilver, I've hunted one of the homesites a little, but I have a hard time telling whether or not to dig. I usually leave the fainter iffy signals alone, but I know they're the ones I should be digging...if I knew when to and not to. I'd love to take someone like you to these sites just to watch and learn. One of them is a plantation main house that belonged to a huge member of society in this town way back in the 1860's. There are slave quarter sites there also, and an old road that was travelled by indians and horse and buggy. It is just a path in the woods now. I have permission on the entire place. Also have permission on a site with 3 old log cabins and a shotgun house that was built in 1906. The cabins were there long before the house. I have the flooring pulled up from the buildings to detect under them, (with permission) but haven't been back to detect them yet. There was also a turpentine operation there, where it was cooked/heated. You'd be more than welcome!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Love the way you put your story together. I lived in coastal Alabama until I was 21. Seeing the crape myrtle and the Spanish moss brought back memories. My wife and I took a long weekend to Savanna one long weekend and I fell in love with the history and the feel of the place. Reminded me a lot of home.

M

Max

Great post.
Enjoyed reading it.
Max

OP
OP
lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cheese said:
Excellent post!? An entertaining one too.? If you ever want to hunt a little west, in Thomasville, give me a shout.? I've got a few pre-civil war homes that I have permission to hunt, and they are virgin.? I am not very experienced with detecting, and since I got my fisher quicksilver, I've hunted one of the homesites a little, but I have a hard time telling whether or not to dig.? I usually leave the fainter iffy signals alone, but I know they're the ones I should be digging...if I knew when to and not to.? I'd love to take someone like you to these sites just to watch and learn.? One of them is a plantation main house that belonged to a huge member of society in this town way back in the 1860's.? There are slave quarter sites there also, and an old road that was travelled by indians and horse and buggy.? It is just a path in the woods now.? I have permission on the entire place.? Also have permission on a site with 3 old log cabins and a shotgun house that was built in 1906.? The cabins were there long before the house.? I have the flooring pulled up from the buildings to detect under them, (with permission) but haven't been back to detect them yet.? There was also a turpentine operation there, where it was cooked/heated.? You'd be more than welcome!

Thanks for the invitation! It's food for thought. How far west of here is Thomasville? I'm trying to place it in my mental roadmap, but coming up blank.

As to those "iffy" signals, you should always dig when in doubt. However, that's easier said than done- it certainly gets old chasing after "phantoms" sometimes. Y'know, those "iffy" signals that you dig for, and dig to China, and then you find nothing and it quits giving a signal? I hate that. Lots of time these signals are iron rusty-crusties that have leached into the soil and created a "halo" effect, and when you dig 'em, you break up the halo, and it quits givin' a signal. Sometimes all you'll find is a little blob of rust or some rusty-colored dirt.

Many of those "iffy" signals will lead you nowhere, so it's definitely a game for the more patient folk. But one might say that about this hobby, overall. The more "iffy" stuff you dig and the more signals you pursue, the higher your odds of finding something good will be. But first you have to ask yourself how much frustration you can handle.

I'll be the first to admit I am sometimes lazy and not as persistent as I should be in digging those faint, deep signals. If I were able to see a list of all the stuff I've missed and left behind in the ground by walking away or giving up too soon, I would certainly weep and moan for days, if not months. But sometimes I stick with it and find something nice.

One attribute that most coin signals will have is that they are a tight, repeatable signal, even if they are deep. The kind of signal that makes me salivate in anticipation is one that is faint on the audio but has a clear beginning and end, and gives a clear repeat signal each time I sweep across it, no matter what direction it's approached from.

I think one reason I found that Indian cent recently and not on a previous visit is that there was a little crackle to the audio signal. I usually avoid crackly or erratic signals. This signal, though "iffy", was just clear enough that I made myself dig it, though.

Another factor is that I was using the Troy Shadow X2, which I recently got from my pal Billy (the guy who dug the 1820 dime pictured above). I got the Shadow for a relic machine, since Billy had just upgraded and I needed something with a bigger coil (10.5"). The Shadow does not have an ID meter, and I am used to having one, so without visual ID on the signals I am forced to learn to listen more to the audio, the way the old-timers did back in the 1970's and '80's before there were target ID detectors. Target ID is nice to have when you are coinshooting trashy parks and such, but it is also a crutch that you can rely on too much- it has made me a lazy digger.

Nowadays I still use my Garrett with the target ID in trashy places, but when I am in cleaner spots or rural relic sites, I bring out the Shadow. Halifax Square, where I was hunting Thursday, is remarkably clean when it comes to modern trash, so I am able to poke along slowly, using very little discrimination, and dig just about every clear signal I get. (And now, some of the "iffy" ones, too.) No need for a meter or any fancy bells n' whistles.

It sounds like you have some really promising sites- work 'em! If you need some help, maybe one fine day I can join you sometime, who knows?

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What a great Post, A+ Quality and lots of follow up information. Very informative its people like you that make this a better site than it already is. That part about the fake halo and rusty dirt was very helpfull.

As for your spirit visit its some kind of lens reflection.

1. Your pointing the camera at the sun.
2. Orbs are white.
3. Orbs are perfect circle

Keep @ it and HH!!

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have an IDExcel. I have had it since October 05. The learning curve for me has been long. I can't find any pattern or consistence yet. Your post was very informative in many ways. Nice presentations. HH Burdie

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.

Thanks for the great informative post. The pictorial layout was excellent.
Congrats on that 1881 IH. A deep find like that is definitely one to be proud of [ 8-9 inches].
Beautiful hunting weather. Days like that are a few months away yet for me in the north.
May all your elusive signals be good ones! HH!

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia

Thomasville is on hwy 84, about 30-40 minutes west of Valdosta. You'd take 82 west to Waycross, then pick up 84 west all the way to Thomasville. If you get the chance/inclination, come on over. I'll buy the grub ;D.

Thanks for the info about iffy targets. I have had too many of the experiences you described. A faint but somewhat repeatable signal, but then I dig, get the signal, dig some more, etc... and all of a sudden, no signal at all. Not in the dirt pile or anywhere. I don't get many chances to go detecting, so after a couple of those episodes, I decide I'm only going to dig solid repeatable signals. If I had more time to detect, maybe I'd have a bit more patience and develop the knack it takes to decide when to dig or not. I guess you never know for sure, but I think I could increase my odds.

When you hunt with ID, how do you get a "crackly" signal? My detector either gives a signal or not. Sometimes it's short, or just a blip, but I don't think I ever got a crackly signal. Is that just in all-metal? The blips I get that aren't always repeatable on every swing are what I'm calling faint signals. When I get a signal like that, I can pinpoint in all metal mode. All metal even makes it sound like something is definitely there, but when I dig a hole and hit lava and still haven't found anything, I decide it's not there and fill the hole. I haven't done that very many times. I've passed over lots and lots of signals that were similar though. This happens a lot on the antebellum site I mentioned.

Thanks for the help, and great information!

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006

I loved this post followed with photos step by step of the story. It kept me interested and intrigued and wanted to finish it quickly. Congrats on the Indian Head pennies and it sounds like you savor ever minute of detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions