How old are these nails????

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Wouldn't normally post nails, or even a strap hinge, as we all see too many to get excited, but these two nails have me baffled. I can pick out a roman, a rose head, and others and pretty well date them and get a feel for the age of the land, but these two have got me stumped. First, they don't look like they would have been the original nails and are probably replacements on the hinge.

The taller one is completely off my radar, and looks more like it was made to be pulled, The shorter one has the thickest/fattest round head I ever saw on a nail..The strap hinge itself, is most likely too small for a door, and as a guess I suggest a trunk, for starters.

Anybody good at aging nails? Give it try.

Attachments

• Mvc-113f.jpg
    Mvc-113f.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 583
  • Mvc-114f.jpg
    Mvc-114f.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 580
  • Mvc-115f.jpg
    Mvc-115f.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 599
Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug a lot of nails and they are hard to date. Dug a few last Sunday, I posted them LOL, and think they might be from an Archaeological dig from the late 1800s on a site that is at least Medieval . Your nails look home made from the 1800s or maybe made as artwork for a cupboard of sort. You have to consider the age of the area you found them in and the possibilities. HH, Mike

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not being a nail expert but have dug my share,I would say they are quite old and handforged.I have dug hand forged nails in early 1850's site but no later than that :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
goldnow

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
kuger said:
capndan151 said:
They could be 17??

I am tending to agree with you, Kuger, at the least, 1700's. I have found an iron artifact from circa 1400 on this land, this nail find being only 10 yards from that one.

The oldest standing house (of 3) on this land is 1600.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread