JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The beans were finally harvested, it's not raining, and I had 2 1/2 hours before dark ... finally a chance to hunt the old plantation I recently got permission for. This old site is about 3 miles west of our town and within 1/2 mile of the river. It was supposedly the site of an early plantation and the old home was torn down about 30 years ago. There is still a grove of huge oak trees that line what used to be the entrance road to the old home that gives an approximate location for the old house. I understand that the old house was used by many families over the years up until the time it fell in on itself and was burned. The gentleman who built the plantation (Jno. Dunbar) was born in 1798 and died in 1867 ... he is buried in the family cemetery about 200 yards from the home site. I had high expectations for this site but I knew at least one local detectorists had been to the site some years ago (the owner told me the guy asked permission about 20 years ago). I decided to hunt the field area at the back end of the oak grove. It was great hunting because the land was moist but not muddy and the bean stubble was very low. I started finding iron targets almost immediately and then some horse and farm related items next. My first two coin finds were 1916 and 1917 wheat cents. At this point I began to think the other detectorist may have cherry picked the site but all of a sudden I get that tone that is oh so sweet. I dig a plug and as I flip it out of the hole I see the beautiful reverse of a nice Swamp Penny (that's what the old folks around here call them) or Large Cent as they are better known. Just before dark I dug my last coin which was a no-date Buffalo nickel. After cleaning the LC it appears to be an 1835 though it is tough to read. I had a great time and dug some neat relics as well such as horse combs, spoons, an old key hole, and other neat stuff. One unique item looks like a coin with a square hole in the center and is smaller than a dime. It has a reeded edge, and appears to say something like: side 1 = ? pat April 10, 1877 and side 2 = I can't quite make it out. Maybe some of you might know more about this item. I am looking forward to my next trip to this spot which I hope to be this weekend. Thanks for looking ~ Jimmy

Attachments

• DunbarDec7th2009.jpg
    DunbarDec7th2009.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 939
  • DunbarDec7th20092.jpg
    DunbarDec7th20092.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 939
  • DunbarDec7th20097.jpg
    DunbarDec7th20097.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 922
  • DunbarDec7th20096.jpg
    DunbarDec7th20096.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 928
  • DunbarDec7th20095.jpg
    DunbarDec7th20095.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 934
  • DunbarDec7th20094.jpg
    DunbarDec7th20094.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 944
  • DunbarDec7th20093.jpg
    DunbarDec7th20093.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 951
  • DunbarDec7th20098.jpg
    DunbarDec7th20098.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 901
  • DunbarDec7th20099.jpg
    DunbarDec7th20099.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 896
  • DunbarDec7th200910.jpg
    DunbarDec7th200910.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 921
Upvote 0

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a note to let you know that the little round disc with the square hole in it is the adjustment knob off of a kerosene lantern or lamp. Probably lantern. It was made by the Dietz or Deitz company. They also made many of the collectable kerosene railroad lanters. This would have been the knob that raised or lowered the wick.

Nice stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Not a bad day at all. RJGMC has it on the brass disc part of a lantern. Are the comb parts brass? If so they had something to do with straightening or curling hair of something but I can't remember right off. But they had a big wooden handle and you would heat the comb. Maybe heat it in water or something. I swear I can't remember right now.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jim , Now that array of finds happens when you get the right spot .The action just never seem to slow down in a new site. Great coins and relics dude..You are the diggin'machine :thumbsup:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice LC,

Looks like a good site

HH Jer

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Nice coins and relics, sounds like a great place to hunt !!

TommNJ

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim,
Nice haul of relics. :icon_thumleft: That large piece at the top of your first picture is the brass piece off of an old level. I found one like it some months back. Any writing on yours?
Mine had, "Disston & Morss - Keystone Tool Works" (circa late 1800)

Congrats,
Doug

Attachments

• MVC-093S.JPG
    MVC-093S.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 722
Dec 27, 2005
Bay Area Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's M6, SPECTRA V3I.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice diggs, it looks like you have a great site to search. looking forward to seeing what else you find there. thanks for sharing and hh

OP
OP
JimBeHuntin'

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RJGMC said:
Just a note to let you know that the little round disc with the square hole in it is the adjustment knob off of a kerosene lantern or lamp. Probably lantern. It was made by the Dietz or Deitz company. They also made many of the collectable kerosene railroad lanters. This would have been the knob that raised or lowered the wick.

Nice stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob
Thanks for the reply RJGMC and thanks for the ID on the lamp adjustment knob ... I think you are correct.
allen said:
wtg on that neat assortment of relics !!
that site should give you some silver soon !!
Thanks for the reply Allen and I hope you are right about the silver soon!
vayank54 said:
Not a bad day at all. RJGMC has it on the brass disc part of a lantern. Are the comb parts brass? If so they had something to do with straightening or curling hair of something but I can't remember right off. But they had a big wooden handle and you would heat the comb. Maybe heat it in water or something. I swear I can't remember right now.
Thanks for the reply vayank54 ... The comb parts are brass and quite heavy duty ( which made me think they may have been for horses) ... I like finding these comb pieces because they are usually on a good producing site.
CMDiamonddawg said:
Hey Jim , Now that array of finds happens when you get the right spot .The action just never seem to slow down in a new site. Great coins and relics dude..You are the diggin'machine :thumbsup:
Thanks for the reply CMDiamonddawg ... I just can't find many sites like this (If I could I would never get any work done LOL)

OP
OP
JimBeHuntin'

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
JerDfx said:
Nice LC,

Looks like a good site

HH Jer
Thanks for the reply JerDfx!
TommNJ said:
Nice coins and relics, sounds like a great place to hunt !!

TommNJ
Thanks for the reply TommNJ!
ModernMiner said:
Jim,
Nice haul of relics. :icon_thumleft: That large piece at the top of your first picture is the brass piece off of an old level. I found one like it some months back. Any writing on yours?
Mine had, "Disston & Morss - Keystone Tool Works" (circa late 1800)

Congrats,
Doug
Thanks for the reply Doug and thanks for the ID on the old level piece ... you are exactly right ... my piece has the exact same writing as you said (Disston & Moss - Keystone Tool Works - Philadelphia USA).

OP
OP
JimBeHuntin'

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ricky1601 aka pull tab king said:
nice diggs, it looks like you have a great site to search. looking forward to seeing what else you find there. thanks for sharing and hh
Thanks for the reply Ricky1601!
capndan151 said:
Quite a bit of history there. Way to go
Thanks for the reply capndan151!
Cal_Cobra said:
Looks like a great spot, love the LC :thumbsup:
Thanks for the reply Cal_Cobra!
Brian(upstateNY-Central Fla.) said:
Very nice digs Jim :thumbsup:
Thanks for the reply Brian(upstateNY-Central Fla.)!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions