110 year old Sterling Silver Makeup case

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I could not be more happy right now. I have been hunting a site that had an 1800's house on it that burned down. Starting about 8 months ago i found the top to a Silver Makeup case. Not thinking I would find anymore pieces i put it in a shoebox with the rest of my finds and forgot about it. Well about a month ago I found another top to a silver makeup case at the same site in the same area. Well not thinking I would ever find the missing piece to the case I put the other lid up as well. Well yesterday it was raining and the ground was wet. I decided to go out to the site and do some detecting. Well I happened to start detecting in the area where I found the other pieces to this make up case puzzle. WELL I got a good strong silver signal on my Ace 250 and low and behold I dug the other middle piece of the makeup case. :headbang: Last night I cleaned it up and left it on the counter. Well this morning I remembered that I had the 2 tops stored in my finds box. Went and got them and what do you know they fit exactly. So i took some pictures of the case and the pieces. Turns out this case is made by R. Blackinton & CO. They were in Business from 1862 till 1967. The piece is Hallmarked and turns out that the Hallmark is the Sword through B design used untill 1900. So this makeup case is REALLY old. At least 110 years old. I still can't believe I found it all. This is an awesome find. My personal best I believe. I hope you guys enjoy the pics. zaxfire69

3 seperate pieces
IMG_1566.jpg

The Makeup case assembled

IMG_1568.jpg

The Hallmark

Zi6_1203.jpg

R. Blackinton & Co. (William Erik Voss)

The company was founded by Walter Ballou and Roswell Blackinton at North Attleboro MA in 1862 and continued as R. Blackinton & Co. until 1967. The original B pierced by a sword trademark was used until 1900. I do not know of any catalogs or inventories that have been reproduced, so there is small chance of dating your pieces except by style. This in itself will be tricky, as the company kept designs in service for many years, even when they had gone out of fashion generally. Their work was of a very high standard, in both sterling and 14 c gold, and included flat & holloware, novelties and jewelry.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Nova. I was really surprised when all the pieces fit together. It has taken me 8 months to find all the pieces. I feel good today.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
That has to be gratifying! That's a pretty piece, now that all the pieces have been found!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great recovery on the case, and ID. :icon_thumright:

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Now that's perseverance that paid off...nice case!

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
way cool :icon_thumleft: nicer then a plain ole copper one ;D MR TUFF

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread