A.K.A The Silver Mine

ZoSo71

Nov 5, 2006
Somewhere near Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX / Modded BH Land Star
Step back a few weeks.

A nice fall morning in November.

I decided to hunt my usual stomping grounds.

It was a short 30 something mile drive, On the way there I made a plan of attack.

I was going to concentrate on a small patch of land about 40 X 200, I pulled out a few Buffalo’s from that once very old Picnic/Baseball area this summer.
The land right next to it is loaded with silver and I have been pulling a large amount of silver coinage out of that area for years.

Welcome to The Silver Mine…

About 250 acres of large fields..Rolling Hills.. And a 50 acre Bass infested lake.

I can date the Picnic and Swimming Park back to the 1930’s. Before that there was
Temporary train station used for about 5 years, until the larger station was built further down the road. Where the temporary train stop stood, I found 2 LC’s about 3 years ago.
Along with some modern silver coinage. I stumbled upon a old cabin site that was rumored to be a ranch hand’s cabin and stalls from when the land was part of a larger farm and has roots to the founding of the township.

I started my hunt next to an old baseball diamond, digging every signal.
I knew by the amount of pull tabs and nails I was digging I was probably
Searching where bleachers once stood.

I started hitting silver..A merc..A rosey..another merc..
Then 2 silver quarters followed by a few more silver dimes.
With a mixed bag of wheats in between.
8 silver coins and 10 wheats.

SM11-09s.jpg

Behind the old beat up backstop I dug a pull tab signal and got a sterling Girl Scout ring.
It wasn’t until I got home I could read the “Sterling” stamped on the bottom.

SM11-09GSR.jpg

With my back hurting bad I took a rest under a newer picnic pavilion and contemplated my next move.

I restarted my hunt near the lake where 2 platform high dives once stood.
When I was about 5 years old I remember them being as tall as the clouds.
The park pulled them out in the 80’s, due to insurance costs and accidents.

They replaced the diving platforms with a nice fishing dock. That too was torn out in 1994. That was also the spot I first met my wife. The same spot we met for our first date. The same spot we first kissed. The same spot we had our wedding photos.

That is the same spot this 18K gold ring popped out of the sand. And it’s heavy!
GRSM11-09gr.jpg

I don’t think it is all that old.. The beach is pretty busy in the summer months.
And the park turns the sand every Saturday.

After that it was time to go…

Jump ahead a week or two…
Sitting at home waiting for my eye appointment.
I left early to hunt a local park I was shown by some fellow Tnet members.
After wondering around for a bit I settled in a small clearing a few feet off the beaten path.

It was littered with pull tabs and the cans they belonged to.
I thought about moving to a different spot, but decided to just take it slow.
My first target was a no date Buffalo no more then 3 inches deep. After sweeping the hole I got another signal at 3 inches. I pulled up a handful of dirt and found a Wheat
About an inch away. No less then a 3 feet away I got a solid high signal, I knew it was silver showing at 6 inches. I was expecting a merc.
I was even more excited to find a 1905 Barber Dime.
About that time I was already late for my eye appointment.
So decided to stay and hunt.
It was while digging a small silver pendant I looked up and saw 3 large doe’s
Staring me down. As I moved, they moved. I threw a rock towards then, and they didn’t even flinch. Keeping an eye on the deer and a ear on the detector, I got a nice solid signal
In the nickel zone. It was another Buffalo. When I kneeled down to dig it the deer moved in way to close for comfort. I stood up and shook my arms at them , it seemed to make them mad and they stomped their hooves and dropped their heads. I knew it was time to get out of there! I took the shortest and fastest path out of there.. Right through the picker bushes on a steep bank. I just might try that spot again after the rut!

GP11-09gp.jpg

HH
ZoSo

Upvote 0

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, you were right to get out of the area, especially when the does wouldn't, and were a little disturbed that
you were there. City slickers would think of trying to walk up to them and pit them......them little ladies would
pet the slicker.....with dainty #5 hooves that would leave memory scars for the rest of his/her life.
Great finds!!! There will be other days.....hopefully no other does. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread